Star Legend Update

roomiec

Our October cruise from Beijing-Hong Kong will be our 12th sailing with Windstar. We've been on all the ships, have loved every cruise we've taken, but the feedback here on the Forum regarding the Legend has frankly caught me by surprise.

Has anyone sailed on the Legend recently and can provide an honest opinion of your experience?

Many of those reports are old. We were just on the Legend in April and while we had service gaps that are documents in a thread I started then, the ship herself was in great condition. Service issues are really caused by the crew and officers on board at any given time. Some of them on our itin were very new (as in they're second week) and things were a bit rocky, but the Legend at this point is NOT a dump.

I was onboard in April and would say that while on the whole the ship is in good condition, there are signs of age/tiredness. Our bathroom was tired looking - in addition to black mould in the caulking (which was rectified), there were rust stains on the marble walls around the tub. Apparently Windstar knows about the tired condition of stateroom bathrooms and will be updating them at some point in the future. There was also a cracked window in the Yacht Club and the crew had to put towels down to soak up the water that came in on our unexpected extra day at sea (due to rain, wind and sea conditions). Some other windows in that area were becoming opaque. We were told by some other cruisers that water came through their stateroom window when we had the bad weather. These were not “deal breaking” issues and on the whole the ship is well kept and the soft furnishings in the common area are great. As long as you expect her to be in good, rather than great condition, you won’t be disappointed. Glad to hear that the improvements in service that they started to make towards the end of our cruise have continued and that the issues seem to have been resolved.

I was onboard in April and would say that while on the whole the ship is in good condition, there are signs of age/tiredness. Our bathroom was tired looking - in addition to black mould in the caulking (which was rectified), there were rust stains on the marble walls around the tub. Apparently Windstar knows about the tired condition of stateroom bathrooms and will be updating them at some point in the future. There was also a cracked window in the Yacht Club and the crew had to put towels down to soak up the water that came in on our unexpected extra day at sea (due to rain, wind and sea conditions). Some other windows in that area were becoming opaque. We were told by some other cruisers that water came through their stateroom window when we had the bad weather. These were not “deal breaking” issues and on the whole the ship is well kept and the soft furnishings in the common area are great. As long as you expect her to be in good, rather than great condition, you won’t be disappointed. Glad to hear that the improvements in service that they started to make towards the end of our cruise have continued and that the issues seem to have been resolved.

I think we were on that same itin (Japan). The weather that morning was best described as a Monsoon. I was up in the Yacht Club when the really hard rain hit. Yes, there was water coming through at least one window (I think more) and it was rocky enough that a couple of the table lamps snapped. It rained so hard so fast that the covers on the deck drains outside the windows (on the walkway to the bow) were floating and the entire area was flooded. I give the crew huge credit. They were on everything immediately with towels and mops. We were up there the same night and you'd never know anything had happened. Everything was ship shape and the lamps had been repaired or replaced.

Yes, there are a few stains on the marble (I'm not 100% sure it's actually marble and not some synthetic, but that's another story) they were there on the Pride from the moment they were taken over from Seabourn, and I'd glad to hear that more work is in the plans. As far as I can tell the the baths are one of the few remaining parts to be renovated.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I read somewhere that Legend, like Breeze, has exhaust from the engines coming into the rooms, esp when the seas are choppy. Ours were not that choppy, only a little along the coast of Portugal, but we had exhaust fumes at least 3 times. One time was at night so we just had to tough out the stinging eyes, etc. We had an ocean view room so could not clean out the air by opening the door. The captain said it happens all the time. I would say it should be a priority on both ships to get fixed.