What's the Difference Between a Category "B" and "AX" on the Wind Spirit?

skitrips

Other than location, are there any other differences (the cabin sizes are identical)?

W/S seems to charge up to $900/pp more so one would think more than location is included; especially on a small ship such as the Wind Spirit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Other than location, are there any other differences (the cabin sizes are identical)?

W/S seems to charge up to $900/pp more so one would think more than location is included; especially on a small ship such as the Wind Spirit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BX and AX are more midship while B and A are either forward or aft and might have more motion. If you are prone to motion sickness, you might prefer BX and AX. But BX would be preferable to AX in that case since there is less motion on lower decks.

Also, none of the cabins are super far forward because on Wind Star because the most forward part of the cabin decks are crew areas.

From the deck plan, the stern B cabins, especially 101 and 102, might have a slightly different layout because the ship is narrowing there.

We chose AX cabins on our upcoming cruise because arthritis sometimes makes going down stairs for one of us when it flares up. We were willing to pay extra to have one less flight of stairs just in case. Other than that, our previous trip on Wind Star was in a BX cabin and we were entirely happy with it.

...From the deck plan, the stern B cabins, especially 101 and 102, might have a slightly different layout because the ship is narrowing there...

Having experienced 102 the layout is essentially the same as all the others. However if the ship is under motor rather than sail there is an annoying vibration and a bit more water noise.

As others have said, all the cabins on the Spirit (and Star) are pretty much the same except for one "owner's suite". Back in the day there was much less splitting into categories and the concept of B/BX/A/AX is relatively new. Minor difference exist in the far stern (and possibly bow) cabins where they need to adjust for the curve of the ship's hull, but they are very minor. A few also don't have the dropdown third berth, but frankly after the first day you don't even notice it's there.

On the B level you have the advantage of less motion during bad weather, but there may be some engine noise (not loud) and water moving under the ship and in some cases making your port hole look like a front loading washer. Some find that disturbing, we find it sort of fun and calming. You're also two flights of steps away from the main areas of the ship, including Amphora, and three away from the Veranda, pool bar, Candles, etc.

The A level may be a little more prone to motion under bad conditions, but you're one flight less away from things. I've never heard any noise through the ceiling, so I wouldn't worry about that. On the Pride/Legend/Breeze, the upper deck cabins can be noisy when people are disembarking or returning, but this is not an issue with the Spirit/Star since no boarding happens on the cabin level, except that the entrance to the sports deck is at the stern of the A level.

On the Pride/Legend/Breeze, the upper deck cabins can be noisy when people are disembarking or returning, but this is not an issue with the Spirit/Star since no boarding happens on the cabin level, except that the entrance to the sports deck is at the stern of the A level.

On Star Legend, I've had the gangway be any of the cabin decks (4, 5 and 6). When the gangway goes from the ship directly to land rather than a floating dock, it is often moved to a different deck during the day due to the changing tides. Debarking in Vancouver it was at deck 7 but they noted that that was unusual.

I haven't noticed that that caused any noise in my cabin regardless of what deck was used. I was in 128, 5 cabins away from where the gangway attaches. Perhaps if you are in the aft-most cabin, you might hear some noise particularly as they attach and remove the gangway.

On Star Legend, I've had the gangway be any of the cabin decks (4, 5 and 6). When the gangway goes from the ship directly to land rather than a floating dock, it is often moved to a different deck during the day due to the changing tides. Debarking in Vancouver it was at deck 7 but they noted that that was unusual.

I haven't noticed that that caused any noise in my cabin regardless of what deck was used. I was in 128, 5 cabins away from where the gangway attaches. Perhaps if you are in the aft-most cabin, you might hear some noise particularly as they attach and remove the gangway.

No. The noise, if any, is less from attaching and removing the gangway and more about the commotion as people queue up to disembark and then reboard. Some posters have complained, but our cabin has been fairly close and we've never heard anything. But as this thread is about the Spirit, it won't be an issue