Vaccinations: Hep A and Typhoid for many ports of call

Spinnergal

Hello! My Internal Medicine doctor recommended that I get the Hepatitis A and Typhoid immunization shot for going to the Carribean ports of call: Cozumel, Mexico; Foulmouth, Jamaica; and the Grand Caymen Islands. If you go on the CDC website, go to the Travel section, click on Cruise, and then go to the country and the port of call and it will tell you what you need to get. I guess there have been recent outbreaks? Have any of you here on Cruise Critic, taken these immunizations? Is it really necessary! Allot of my friends think it’s crazy and overkill. Let me know your thoughts.

Any time we travel we visit a Travel Medicine Clinic, who have access to all the latest travel information.

Hep A isn't such a bad idea. The Typhoid is probably a medication called Dukarol, which prevents bowel issues - I believe the adverts mention beach or bathroom. This oral vacc also works for Typhoid.

Yes, we take Dukarol every time we travel outside of N/America, Europe, Australia, NZ.

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

So you get an opinion from your doctor and because your friends don't agree??? with your doctor's opinion, you come to a cruise website for a medical opinion. What wrong with that picture?

Anyway, to your question...I have had a Hep A & B vaccination, because it was suggested to me by my doctor. Here is a link that speaks to hepatitis. https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/hepatitis-a-and-hepatitis-b-vaccine-intramuscular-route/description/drg-20061965

A typhoid shot wasn't recommended to me.

Who are you going to trust, me or your doctor.

have a great cruise

So your doctor has recommended the vaccinations, the CDC recommends them, but your friends think it's crazy? Are your friends experts in Infectious Diseases? Would you really take advice from anonymous posters on a cruise forum over experts in their field?

We keep up to date on all recommended immunizations.

Hep A & B should be mandatory for all individuals in any case,

Typhoid, why not?

As others stated, who has more credence and more respect in the medical arena? Me, your friends, or someone who went to medical school?

I guess I'd listen to your physician based on what they feel is correct for you. But I'm not sure I understand the recommended vaccinations for one day stops in the different ports of call. In our 26 years of cruising - which has included numerous visits to each of those ports of call over the years - has our doctor ever felt that we needed, nor have we ever gotten, either of those immunizations. Just our experience.

I guess I'd listen to your physician based on what they feel is correct for you. But I'm not sure I understand the recommended vaccinations for one day stops in the different ports of call. In our 26 years of cruising - which has included numerous visits to each of those ports of call over the years - has our doctor ever felt that we needed, nor have we ever gotten, either of those immunizations. Just our experience.

I haven't broken a leg on a cruise yet, but I still buy out of country medical coverage. If you want to play the odds and gamble with your health (and the health of those you come in contact with, should you come down with one of these diseases), then that's a decision only you can make.

I haven't broken a leg on a cruise yet, but I still buy out of country medical coverage. If you want to play the odds and gamble with your health (and the health of those you come in contact with, should you come down with one of these diseases), then that's a decision only you can make.

Please re-read my response. I never said that anyone - including me - should not take the vaccinations if recommended. In fact I said that the OP should follow their doctor's advice.

I only said in my experience my doctor never recommended it and, therefore, we never took it - because at the time it was never suggested that we should . Which is why I guess I was questioning the concern with a one day port visit. Nobody playing any odds here.

I appreciate your perspective and you are entitled to your opinion - but your comments don't apply to me. Please respond correctly to what I am saying if you choose to quote me. Thank you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The Typhoid is probably a medication called Dukarol, which prevents bowel issues - I believe the adverts mention beach or bathroom. This oral vacc also works for Typhoid..

There is both an injectable and an oral typhoid vaccine. Not a medication, a live virus vaccine.

The oral is 4 doses, taken 48 hours apart, and the capsules must be refrigerated at all times (they even give you an ice pack to carry them home).

The injection is good for 2 years. The oral for 4.

Hep A and and Hep B are a good idea even if you don't travel, but highly recommended if you do travel.

Also, check to make sure your tetanus is up to date.

Up to you to take the risk or not.

I travel a lot, to a lot of 3rd world places, and maintain a complete set of vaccinations. Even some oddball ones.

I do not want to take the chance, from a relatively simple illness to something life threatening.

Have you ever asked your doctor about Hep A and B.

If you eat out (at all), or ever visit a medical facility (to include your doctors office) you should have Hep A and B

Heck there have been multiple Hep A outbreaks here in the states. That is never a bad vaccine to have checked off before international travel. And with such a rough hurricane season last year probably best to check well in advance of any Caribbean cruise. IMO get the vaccines. Your doctor just wants you to be safe. :)

Have you ever asked your doctor about Hep A and B.

If you eat out (at all), or ever visit a medical facility (to include your doctors office) you should have Hep A and B

Thanks for the advice, doc. ;) I didn't say that I haven't had the proper vaccinations. The frame of reference was relative to being recommended specifically for a given port of call, as was the OP's question. And BTW, as long as we're dispensing medical advice, I have also been screened for Hep C - have you? If you are in the right age category you should. :)

Thanks for the advice, doc. ;) I didn't say that I haven't had the proper vaccinations. The frame of reference was relative to being recommended specifically for a given port of call, as was the OP's question. And BTW, as long as we're dispensing medical advice, I have also been screened for Hep C - have you? If you are in the right age category you should. :)

Don’t get your panties in a bunch just because I asked a question. Not everyone is perfect like you. Someone, just someone may learn something from reading a post. And yes, since I’m in the medical field, I have been screened for Hep C. But, thanks for acting concerned.

If you've had Hep A & B vaccine, pehaps your doctor hasn't recommended it because your records show you've already had it. Even in a one day port visit, you might eat while in the port and be exposed to Hep A.

The typhoid vaccine recommendation may be new due to the sanitary challenges after last year's hurricanes. I don't recall it being recommended when we visited years ago.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Many, many years when we started to travel to foreign countries (not cruising), our doctor insisted that we get the Hep A and Hep B shots. We were going to places like Russia and South America so we also got Yellow Fever shots -- you don't need this shot just for the Caribbean islands.

We do keep up with our Tetinus shots, Flu shots and pneumonia shots.

Don’t get your panties in a bunch just because I asked a question. Not everyone is perfect like you. Someone, just someone may learn something from reading a post. And yes, since I’m in the medical field, I have been screened for Hep C. But, thanks for acting concerned.

Wow - talk about panties in a bunch! You should notice the wink and smile included in my response. Not taking this nearly as seriously as you are. I, as you, are far from perfect and am not claiming to be. Only trying to be accurate in my responses and being no less sincere than you in doing so. Please read all my responses here.

Agree - we all can learn from reading various posts - including you. That's a big reason we are all here.....

Have a nice day and happy cruising. :)

If you've had Hep A & B vaccine, pehaps your doctor hasn't recommended it because your records show you've already had it. Even in a one day port visit, you might eat while in the port and be exposed to Hep A.

The typhoid vaccine recommendation may be new due to the sanitary challenges after last year's hurricanes. I don't recall it being recommended when we visited years ago.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Agree - as would be the case.

Hello! My Internal Medicine doctor recommended that I get the Hepatitis A and Typhoid immunization shot for going to the Carribean ports of call: Cozumel, Mexico; Foulmouth, Jamaica; and the Grand Caymen Islands. If you go on the CDC website, go to the Travel section, click on Cruise, and then go to the country and the port of call and it will tell you what you need to get. I guess there have been recent outbreaks? Have any of you here on Cruise Critic, taken these immunizations? Is it really necessary! Allot of my friends think it’s crazy and overkill. Let me know your thoughts.

You are considering advice on a message board over what your physician told you? If your physician thinks you need the vaccination, then you need it, and you should not cruise without it, no matter what anyone else says.

Up to you to take the risk or not.

I travel a lot, to a lot of 3rd world places, and maintain a complete set of vaccinations. Even some oddball ones.

I do not want to take the chance, from a relatively simple illness to something life threatening.

Which are 'oddball' v accinations?

We do the same. For some countries we have to get anti malaria tablets and start taking well before departure.

The challenge is that sometimes the requirements change from time to time, sometimes within the same country based on your travel plans within that country.