Transfer booking to travel agent

Budski54

In the process of looking for a cruise, I was corresponding via email with a travel agent. Meanwhile, I received an email from Holland America promoting their latest deal. So, I booked with Holland America .

After informing the travel agent, she said that I could transfer my booking to her( as long as final payment has not occurred), and she could become the agent for the cruise, and she could give me some onboard credit.

Would transferring my booking cause my HAL cruise consultant to lose credit of commission? Are there any cautions to worry about with transferring my booking? What are the positives and negatives of transferring? What are your experiences of transferring a booking?

Our experience is not with HAL, and for that you may also want to ask this question on the HAL board as well here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

But with RCI and Celebrity, as example, whatever you booked in terms of pricing and perks remains the same with the transfer to the travel agent. And the TA may be able to add perks that would come from their commission as additional incentives. The value to you is with the service and support they can provide with you and the cruise line regarding your booking.

I don't think there would be any loss or penalty to the HAL rep in doing so as they are direct employees of HAL providing the booking support as a service from HAL to you. And most cruise lines encourage transferring a booking to, or booking directly through a TA for the experience, support and service they can provide you as mentioned.

But responses on the HAL board maybe would confirm this, or you could just contact HAL directly and ask them. I'm sure their primary interest is in having you book a cruise with them, regardless of the method you choose.

Thanks for your reply. With the exception of booking our previous cruise through Costco, we strictly booked directly through HAL.

I am going to take your advice, and post on a HAL page.

Also, since you have an Eagles emblem, Google "Eagles, Santa, snowball" and you'll find a video of Santa trying to reconcile with the snowball. I'm the Santa.

Ho,ho,ho

Thanks for your reply. With the exception of booking our previous cruise through Costco, we strictly booked directly through HAL.

I am going to take your advice, and post on a HAL page.

Also, since you have an Eagles emblem, Google "Eagles, Santa, snowball" and you'll find a video of Santa trying to reconcile with the snowball. I'm the Santa.

Ho,ho,ho

Wow! ....and Macnow called you a "lousy little Santa"! Have to take it in the context of the day I guess. Although a bit before my time at the games, I am a season ticket holder since '96 and am aware of the legacy. Thanks for the memory, Frank.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I am not the original Santa that was pelted 50 years ago, he died a few years ago. The Eagles just wanted to have a little fun, so they had the video made. That's the Melrose Diner, by the way. And the voice of the snowball is Bradley Cooper.

I am not the original Santa that was pelted 50 years ago, he died a few years ago. The Eagles just wanted to have a little fun, so they had the video made. That's the Melrose Diner, by the way. And the voice of the snowball is Bradley Cooper.

Got it. There were a couple of videos and the one I watched was about Frank. I saw the Melrose one as well. But good stuff!

Before you transfer the reservation to a TA make sure the TA has no additional fees for changes or cancellation. You may also want to check around for better deals from other TAs. You should be able to get a benefit worth at least 8% of your fare.

Thanks for the additional info.