Question on Cancelling One Cruiser in a Double Cabin

IrishLassie

If it's before final payment, the existing cruiser will need to "make up the difference". If it's AFTER final payment (no refund period) that cancelling person loses their money and you will have a cabin all to yourself!

If it's before final payment, the existing cruiser will need to "make up the difference". If it's AFTER final payment (no refund period) that cancelling person loses their money and you will have a cabin all to yourself!

If you have insurance, does this still apply?

The cruise line will not refund for the second person after final payment.

If you have trip insurance, it will depend on the coverage and the reason for cancellation whether they pay or not.

The two are mutually exclusive.

And there is also the possibility that the cruiseline might charge the single supplement for the remaining passenger.

If there is insurance involved, check the details.

There have been suggestions around the boards that it might sometimes be better for the non cruiser to be a 'no show', if they aren't getting any money back.

No extra for a "no show" any port taxes would be refunded as well.

Thanks for this info. I think this would be the best option, if this happens, but not sure if I should let my TA know?? It comes out to be about the same price for a single & if we got the port taxes back, that's a plus! :D

Any body else have any thoughts on this option?

Thanks for this info. I think this would be the best option, if this happens, but not sure if I should let my TA know?? It comes out to be about the same price for a single & if we got the port taxes back, that's a plus! :D

Any body else have any thoughts on this option?

Absolutely no reason to share this with your TA....You will receive the port fees and taxes as a credit back to the credit card that was used. We have had no shows...no one asks no one cares.

Absolutely no reason to share this with your TA....You will receive the port fees and taxes as a credit back to the credit card that was used. We have had no shows...no one asks no one cares.

Oh thanks so much. Do we need to give a reason for the no show, if this happens??

How would you give an explanation?

YOU are there. The other person IS NOT. You are not their keeper. And you do not need to tell them the other person will be a no show.

Just check in, board and enjoy.

They will figure out that the person did not show up.

Oh thanks so much. Do we need to give a reason for the no show, if this happens??

No...No one will ask or care when you check in at the terminal and when you board. The taxes/port fees refund will just be automatically refunded... Last March (2017) we ended up having 3 no shows among the four cabins I had booked on Harmony.

No...No one will ask or care when you check in at the terminal and when you board. The taxes/port fees refund will just be automatically refunded... Last March (2017) we ended up having 3 no shows among the four cabins I had booked on Harmony.

Another question, do the taxes/port fees go back on the card that was used to book the cruise or on the card that the person is using for on board purchases? (the person that shows up)

Another question, do the taxes/port fees go back on the card that was used to book the cruise or on the card that the person is using for on board purchases? (the person that shows up)

It will go back to the card that was used to pay the "final balance."

As others have stated, there is no need to provide a reason. That said, however, when you check in, it is a help to the people doing the check-in of the passengers if you let them know that the other person is not going to be going on the cruise. The reason for that is that when it gets close to sailing time, some cruise lines have their pier agents attempt to contact people who have still not shown up at the pier to determine whether they are still en route, not coming, or what their current situation is. If they know that person A is not coming for whatever reason, then they know that they do not need to be concerned with that person's arrival any more. That saves the port staff time and effort and reduces their workload a bit and that is appreciated.

Tom