• 4 weeks later...
Sams Club has it too

And you can purchase Mexican or Tahitian vanilla products from Amazon. it's not as much fun as buying it while out of the country, though perhaps a bit easier.

Where I am in Canada the vanilla at Costco is $46.99 a bottle. That's not happening:mad:

And you can purchase Mexican or Tahitian vanilla products from Amazon. it's not as much fun as buying it while out of the country, though perhaps a bit easier.

I didn't realize you could get it on Amazon - some things we can't get on Amazon when ordering from Canada but I will definitely check it out. Thanks!

Unfortunately, we don't have Sam's Club up here.

How much is Vanilla in the US right now?

I bought Vanilla at our Sams club around May. It was $24 for an 8oz bottle! Prior to that I bought it on our last trip to Paris. Half as much, larger bottle and tastes so much better! How is the Vanilla from Cozumel? Do you have somewhere you suggest getting it? We will be there in about 3 weeks. So I would like to pick some up.

How about vanilla beans? Making your own extract is supposed to be inexpensive and you can control the taste. But it takes several months unless you have a pressure cooker. Then its just a few weeks. But single beans here can be $10 each!

http://www.palladiumaddict.net/AddictForum/viewtopic.php?t=26260

If you were thinking of buying Vanilla in the Caribbean or Mexico please read this link or do some searching on your own. I am not a professional baker but I love to bake. I am picky about my ingredients so I know a little bit about vanilla. I would never ever use any of the stuff that they sell in Mexico or the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can buy awesome pure vanilla extract or beans made/grown in the US ... Hawaii! They have a couple of vanilla farms there.

http://www.hawaiianvanilla.com/

We did the tour with lunch and it was amazing! To see how much effort goes into growing the orchids that produce the vanilla bean was so awesome indeed. I bought two bottles with 3 beans in each and am making my own vanilla. First batch will take 8 months ... patience needed. We learned fat removes vanilla flavouring from the beans the best (cooking/baking etc.) alcohol is second best. Usually clear/flavourless alcohol is used, like vodka! The owner has been experimenting for years now and his favourite (according to his son) is Lambs Dark rum.

I used Grey Goose in one bottle of beans and Crystal Head vodka for the second. Each bottle makes 12 ounce of vanilla. Each bottle with 3 beans cost $30. After 8 months the instructions say to pour out 4 ounces of vanilla, and top up the 12 oz bottle again. In 3 months you can take out 4 oz again, and repeat. You can carry on doing this for over 2 years in total, closer to 3. The growers actually suggest you don't take it out the second time at 3 months if you haven't used the first 4 oz because as it ages it gets better and stronger flavoured!

dh

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if the cruise ships that stop in Hilo go to the vanilla place in Pauuilo or not? It's not that big of a place, a whole bus full of folks could overwhelm them. They do have good vanilla and a lovely lunch.

Vanilla is an orchid and the beans are the seed pods. We don't have the insect (I think it's a type of moth) that pollinates vanilla orchids here in Hawaii so all the Hawaiian vanilla is hand pollinated. I've heard the blossoms are only open for a day, so someone has to pollinate the flowers every day in order to get the seed pods.

We also bury vanilla pods in a bottle of sugar and then use the sugar for baking and making ice cream and such.