Walk me through this lost luggage scenario

Beachfrog

Many airlines have started cracking down on non-conforming "carry-ons" (finally).

True! If it just looks a bit bulgy or oversized your sent to the checker. Many airlines are using the European standard. Can get you through Max 4 or 5 days. Very limited clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider traveling with a carry-on bag only; it all but guarantees you'll never lose your luggage, and a roll-on carry-on bag holds quite a bit!

We find that somewhat difficult when packing for a 2 month trip to multiple climates :). But we do know some travelers that manage with a single carry-on....by washing out some of their stuff on a near daily basis. DW and I generally prefer to have a nice selection of clothes for various climates and formalities, rather then washing things out. In fact, we never wash anything out while on trips but simply rely on laundry service :). It is a vacation and we do not feel that washing our clothes is the kind of thing we want to do when traveling.

As another poster mentioned, we have seen travelers get away with bringing larger carry-on things aboard flights. But we have also seen evidence that the airlines are starting major crack-downs on this practice. Not only does it deny them their baggage fees, but it significantly slows down the boarding process as folks struggle to force oversize and overweight bags into overheads.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
Many airlines have started cracking down on non-conforming "carry-ons" (finally).
I suggested a rolling carry-on bag. Nothing about these is "non-conforming".

A quick Google search tells me that carry-on luggage may not exceed 45" in combined length, width, height. An average bag seems to be 22x14x9. That's pretty big, but some of my clothing is child-sized.

When I was a child, my parents both worked for the airlines, and we flew free (space available), but we had rules. One rule was that each person was only allowed an official airline carry-on ... it was about the size of two shoeboxes. I've always been a good packer, and I think that early experience is part of why.

We find that somewhat difficult when packing for a 2 month trip to multiple climates :). But we do know some travelers that manage with a single carry-on....by washing out some of their stuff on a near daily basis. DW and I generally prefer to have a nice selection of clothes for various climates and formalities, rather then washing things out. In fact, we never wash anything out while on trips but simply rely on laundry service :). It is a vacation and we do not feel that washing our clothes is the kind of thing we want to do when traveling.
For a two-month trip, I think anyone would need to do laundry in some way -- whether you wash things yourself or whether you send it out. I don't own enough clothes to skip washing for two months. Edited by MrsPete

We have experienced the lost luggage issue only once. Fly san Franicsco to Rome via Paris. First flight on Air France, second flight on Italia, a partner of Air France. We flew in 2 days early, so when on suit case did not arrive we went to the Air France/Italia desk for lost luggage, reported the case, showed our luggage tags, they were able to id over the computer that the case was still at Paris CDG, promised to get it on a flight that evening and we could pick it up the following morning before leaving for the ship. We were staying at the Hilton at the Rome Airport so easy for us to do. What we learned in this was it is best to stay on one carrier, Air France all the way if possible and do most direct flights as much as possible... reduces chance of lost luggage. Also fly in a day or two in advance this helps a lot, for lost luggage and flight delays.

A quick Google search tells me that carry-on luggage may not exceed 45" in combined length, width, height. An average bag seems to be 22x14x9. That's pretty big.

Most airlines now have a box in which your carry on must fit. The website dimensions are, in essence, a guideline. If it doesn't fit in the box, you have a non-conforming bag. One of the biggest problems is that the empty bag may conform but, when you use the expansion zipper or just overstuff it, it no longer fits.

Airlines seldom open the bags to look for an itinerary inside. Only if all other ID on the outside is lost.

I have had my bags not show up a few times. Only twice for longer than 2 days. Most times later that day, or the next day. And that is over LOTS of trips.

Most times, it has been due to tight connection (especially if changing airline alliances). Or due to a re-route due to missed connections.

I never willing accept going to the airport to get my bag, unless I am going to the airport to fly out. They are responsible to get my bag to me. If I have left the airport, they need to deliver it to my hotel. Although in some countries, that is the only way to get them.

We were amazed when ALL our bags got left behind in Phoenix when we made a quick change in our connecting flight to LA and actually got to us. From LA we went to Auckland, NZ, with a stop in Fiji. In Fiji they informed us our bags didn't made the switched connecting flight.

It took three days, but all our luggage eventually caught up with us in NZ. We sat on our balcony and watched the last bag being taken out of the trunk of a taxi and loaded on board.

Two different airlines were involved. Southwest and Air New Zealand.

Always

1) fly in the day before. Longer if it is long haul.

2) Pack a few clothes and bits (swimwear) in your carry on (I can even fit my formal outfit and 3 days worth of things)

3) Buy a bright suitcase/one that stands out in case of mistaken identity

4) On an a4 sheet of paper write your entire itinerary with times and arrivals at port and numbers of the cruise ship, line and port authorities. Also include your own details and cabin number. Make sure it is visable inside the case.

5) Research your port/port area shopping in case you need a dash run.

6) cross pack cases for all in your family.

Most importantly....buy travel insurance of course :)

Let's just say that if Celebrity lose your bag, well then you better hope that you don't sail on the Equinox..

I have learned that you need to take photos of everything you have in the bags AND you need to take photos of your bags every step on the way. From now on I will take photos loading the bags into the car, on the train, at the airports, at the hotel, on the shuttle bus and when we hand over the bags to the baggage handelers.

If you don't, guest relations might accuse you of lying when you report a missing bag :rolleyes:

Celebrity lost our bag in port of Miami on the 4th of August, to this day they have not found our bag or given us compensation for the bag...

Not the premium experience I expected from Celebrity. :rolleyes:

Most airlines now have a box in which your carry on must fit. The website dimensions are, in essence, a guideline. If it doesn't fit in the box, you have a non-conforming bag. One of the biggest problems is that the empty bag may conform but, when you use the expansion zipper or just overstuff it, it no longer fits.
Yeah, I don't think those boxes are new.

It's easy: Don't use the expansion zipper or overstuff the bag.

Celebrity lost our bag in port of Miami on the 4th of August, to this day they have not found our bag or given us compensation for the bag...
One more reason to pack carry-on only. If you carry your own bag, it's unlikely to be lost.

Yeah, I don't think those boxes are new.

It's easy: Don't use the expansion zipper or overstuff the bag.

One more reason to pack carry-on only. If you carry your own bag, it's unlikely to be lost.

Correct. What I should've said is "now USE the box" (that's sat there for years).

That's not an option for most people. We had one checked bag only for diapers and other baby stuff. I don't know what would have happened if they had lost that bag :eek: