Freighter Travel to Indonesia from the U.S.

There are a number of travel agents who specialize in freighter travel and you can find them by a google search but CC does not let me give you any names. It should be easy to get to Singapore or Port Kelang (Malaysia) but a bit harder to get to Djakarta. Currently I am in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, which is not too far away from your destination. Good luck.

Excellent, thank you for the response! I did not know that CC did not allow for specifics on disclosing travel agents but I don't mind the extra leg work. I'll keep looking and hopefully get some more help via this forum.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I would like feedback from anyone about the above route, what lines carry pax regularly, where to book, how long ahead you need to book.

Basically this would extend a Ryndam itinerary next year from Venice to Singapore, but we would prefer to fly on to Hong Kong for a short stay.

I have read websites from various agents but there are few specifics.

I would love to avoid a long haul flight back to the East Coast.

I would like feedback from anyone about the above route, what lines carry pax regularly, where to book, how long ahead you need to book.

Basically this would extend a Ryndam itinerary next year from Venice to Singapore, but we would prefer to fly on to Hong Kong for a short stay.

I have read websites from various agents but there are few specifics.

I would love to avoid a long haul flight back to the East Coast.

Can't give specifics on travel agents to book with, but if you google "freighter cruises" you will get quite a few hits. I see that Evergreen, Zim, MSC, Hanjin, and CMA CGM all have pax cabins available for routes between Hong Kong and the West Coast (or even the East Coast if you want to stay onboard that long. Fares look to be around $150/per day/per person, and it will take 17 to 22 days to get from HK to the West Coast (depending on the intermediate port calls). You need to see what ship itineraries have "segments" available, as most of these are from the US to the US.