Independent Excursion Company for Roatan & Costa Maya?

Hi! We are Cruising on NCL Getaway Western Caribbean and are looking for reputable independent tour companies for touring the ruins in Costa Maya and for getting around Roatan, specifically to visit Gumbalimba Park or something similar.

Look at Victor Bodden Tours for Roatan., We did private tour this past Feb. for $40 each for two of us. I can't recall guides name, possibly Anna, but she was very knowledgeable and informative . Anyway, they pick you up at dock and you tell them where you want to go so it is a totally private tour. Our guide was excellent and we thought the price was excellent also for all day tour. You set the pace. Victor Bodden is very responsive to emails and also will send you suggestions as to what is offered on the island and then you just tell them where you want to go and what you want to do. We had her drive around a bit just to see some of the island, then went to West Bay and had lunch and snorkeled there. But there are a plethora of places to go and things to do depending on your interest. I highly recommend and for the price can't be beat. You pay cash at end of tour. No prepay involved. Hope this helps.

Jane

For Costa Maya we did the

Dzibanche tour. We loved it, the guide was informative and funny. It was a small group, we spent as much time as we wanted there. You have to walk to their office - if I recall correctly tours can't pick you up at port since it is private property. But it was just a few blocks. People will try to sell you tours on the walk there but we just said we had one already and they were nice about it and even give you directions.

For Roatan we got a driver from Victor Bodden. He picked us up and took us all over, showed us things we had mentioned when booking and some places the driver thought we might like.

We are doing the same itinerary next year and will get a driver from VB again, and might do Chacchoben with NT this time.

• 3 weeks later...

While it's not a tour, we did an independent day at Almaplena in Costa Maya. It's a beautiful beach resort, price includes all you can eat and drink (or did when we were there a couple of years ago) and they pick you up and deliver you back to the port. It's a small place, so not many people there, very quiet and tranquil.

For ruins tours in Costa Maya, I recommend Native Choice Tours. They are very professional, offer several tour options and are usually cheaper than options through the cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Native Choice Tours was great in Costa Maya, visiting the Chacchoben ruins with a wonderful lunch and tortilla making visit in a Mayan village. In Roatan, we went snorkeling with Roatan Eco Tour. Allessandro and his staff took us to some beautiful snorkeling sites from the West End, ending in West Bay. Both groups were very accommodating for our small tour groups. Would use both again.

• 4 weeks later...

At Roatan we went directly through Pirates of the Caribbean. They offered a combo tour of their zip lines and a day at Little French Key. It was great. They meet us at the port and took us to their zip line place first. It was awesome, they take you to the top of a ‘mountain’ and you zip through the trees. You basically go from platform to platform. There was only one place that we had to climb some steps to one platform. There were 11 lines and it took about an hour or so for the 4 of us. We are between 55-73 years old and it was great!! Then they took us the to ferry to go to Little French Key, it was beautiful there. It’s only about 10-15 minutes drive to the ferry. We asked to be picked up at 3:00 and they were there on time and took us back to the port. I highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums