World Cruise by segments - solo traveler - need advice

livingonthebeach

Looking to go around the world in segments - maybe Ft Lauderdale to Singapore or Ft Lauderdale to Sydney in 2020 and Sydney or Singapore to Ft Lauderdale the following year or any combination thereof. 100+ days seems way too long for me.

I’ll be traveling solo so need good pricing - I believe HAL or one of the Italian lines would be the least expensive?

Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated!

Looking to go around the world in segments - maybe Ft Lauderdale to Singapore or Ft Lauderdale to Sydney in 2020 and Sydney or Singapore to Ft Lauderdale the following year or any combination thereof. 100+ days seems way too long for me.

I’ll be traveling solo so need good pricing - I believe HAL or one of the Italian lines would be the least expensive?

Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated!

I suggest you price all the cruiselines that are doing the segments you're interested in....you'll possibly find (as we did) that it's not "apples-to-apples." Let's say Cruiseline Y costs $8,000 for the trip you want, but they don't include airfare, internet, laundry, medical, hotel, transfers, prepaid gratuities, etc. but Cruiseline Z costs $10,000 but includes those extra amenities. You need to decide which extras you need/want....then add that cost to any cruise fare that doesn't include them to do a true comparison. We found that a more expensive basic cruisefare was actually a better deal than getting the "cheapest" fare because we would still have had to pay for many extras we needed/wanted. We compared about 10 different lines and narrowed it down. The cheapest ones were not the cheapest in the end. Best wishes in your search!

I suggest you price all the cruiselines that are doing the segments you're interested in....you'll possibly find (as we did) that it's not "apples-to-apples." Let's say Cruiseline Y costs $8,000 for the trip you want, but they don't include airfare, internet, laundry, medical, hotel, transfers, prepaid gratuities, etc. but Cruiseline Z costs $10,000 but includes those extra amenities. You need to decide which extras you need/want....then add that cost to any cruise fare that doesn't include them to do a true comparison. We found that a more expensive basic cruisefare was actually a better deal than getting the "cheapest" fare because we would still have had to pay for many extras we needed/wanted. We compared about 10 different lines and narrowed it down. The cheapest ones were not the cheapest in the end. Best wishes in your search!

Thanks so much Go Bucks! Very useful information to begin my research. You are so right - cheaper sometimes becomes more expensive at the end so best to compare like you suggest.

This works well for two people sharing but not always for solos. Say Cruiseline Y has a 165% solo supplement while Cruiseline Z has a 200% supplement. You are now comparing $13,200 versus $20,000.

This works well for two people sharing but not always for solos. Say Cruiseline Y has a 165% solo supplement while Cruiseline Z has a 200% supplement. You are now comparing $13,200 versus $20,000.

Yes indeed single supplements are a big part of the equation as well. Wish they would give us singles a break LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Doing it in separate segments at different times, you lose out on the perks offered on an around the world cruise. But I understand that 100 days is long. We'll be on our first 82 day cruise soon. Our longest so far had been a month.

Yes I realize there are certain incentives to encourage people to book the entire cruise and not just segments but I’m not quite ready for such a long journey just yet.....maybe a few years from now.

So who did you end up sailing with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To me the problem with doing segments is the long and expensive flights from places such as Hong Kong, Sydney, Dubai, etc. That said, I get that 100+ days is a long time to be on a ship in a small space. I live by myself and don't have family nearby, so taking care of the house, bills, yard, etc. would be problematic.

Roz

If doing a world cruise split over 2 years it would not be necessary to do the same cruise line, if fact doing the same cruise line may be difficult. Normally cruise lines vary their itineraries year to year so getting off in a port 1 year does not mean you will be able to get back on at the same port the next year, also the ship on the 2nd year could be sailing in the reverse direction.

If wanting to do this the best port to make the end/start point would be Singapore - very few world cruises do not make a port of call there - it is located perfectly for ships doing long voyages and with excellent air connections it is an ideal segment end/starting point.

If doing a world cruise split over 2 years it would not be necessary to do the same cruise line, if fact doing the same cruise line may be difficult. Normally cruise lines vary their itineraries year to year so getting off in a port 1 year does not mean you will be able to get back on at the same port the next year, also the ship on the 2nd year could be sailing in the reverse direction.

If wanting to do this the best port to make the end/start point would be Singapore - very few world cruises do not make a port of call there - it is located perfectly for ships doing long voyages and with excellent air connections it is an ideal segment end/starting point.

Thanks so much - good points.

Not quite what you want but I have an itinerary that should work for me. It won't be all cruise but I hope to circle the globe on the surface in just under 100 days:

Amtrak Baltimore to Los Angeles 1/18 to 1/21

Crystal Serenity Los Angeles to Sydney 1/22 to March 3

QM2 Sydney to New York March 6 to April 25

Even with a modest single supplement Crystal is a bit pricy, but I think the QM2 voyage could fit your plans. There should be other trans-Pacific cruises that might work for you even if they are not World Cruise segments.

Roy

Hi Roy. I know you are looking a long way ahead for your cruise but were you aware that Amtrak's Southwest Chief is in danger of having a 200 mile bus substitution for a stretch in New Mexico starting in 2019?This is because of doubts over paying for the railroad "PTC" safety signal system upgrade on a little used stretch.

Bill

Hi Roy. I know you are looking a long way ahead for your cruise but were you aware that Amtrak's Southwest Chief is in danger of having a 200 mile bus substitution for a stretch in New Mexico starting in 2019?This is because of doubts over paying for the railroad "PTC" safety signal system upgrade on a little used stretch.

Bill

I'm aware of a threat but hoping it won't happen.

Roy

Do you have to be wealthy to take a world cruise ?

Totally agree with the previous response. I certainly would not consider ourselves as wealthy, but we know how to save money and prioritise how we wish to spend it.

Based on our previous World Cruise, I would say most of the passengers were hard working folks, who saved money for the trip of a lifetime.

Do you have to be wealthy to take a world cruise ?

I suppose it would be alot easier to take a world cruise if you're wealthy (and I'm sure many world cruisers are), but I am definitely NOT wealthy!! I'm just a middle class registered nurse....and everyone knows that nurses do not make alot of money. But, as Scrapnana and Heidi13 said, I have always lived very frugally and try to save as much of my money as possible. We all have our priorities....some people like to drive new expensive cars, some like to live in big expensive homes, some love to go on shopping sprees, etc. I love to travel and prefer to use my savings for that. :D

I suppose it would be alot easier to take a world cruise if you're wealthy (and I'm sure many world cruisers are), but I am definitely NOT wealthy!! I'm just a middle class registered nurse....and everyone knows that nurses do not make alot of money. But, as Scrapnana and Heidi13 said, I have always lived very frugally and try to save as much of my money as possible. We all have our priorities....some people like to drive new expensive cars, some like to live in big expensive homes, some love to go on shopping sprees, etc. I love to travel and prefer to use my savings for that. :D

This is an excellent response to the poster's question! Also, beginning to save and invest as early in life as one can makes a difference. Compound interest and re-investing dividends and capital gains can make a significant difference. (A rising stock market also helps, but one must have the discipline to not panic and sell good companies when the bears return to the market.)

• Like 1

So I suppose you have to prortize what you wanna do really

This is an excellent response to the poster's question! Also, beginning to save and invest as early in life as one can makes a difference. Compound interest and re-investing dividends and capital gains can make a significant difference. (A rising stock market also helps, but one must have the discipline to not panic and sell good companies when the bears return to the market.)

This is also EXCELLENT advice!! Although I didn't get an early start (I've only been working outside the home since my late 30's), I've been saving as much as I can and investing it wisely. Years ago I learned all I could about finances, the stock market and investments that bring the best returns. My savings have grown very well and hopefully will see me through retirement. I've always reinvested my dividends and capital gains. And I guess I'm a little nerdy too since I watch the Nightly Business Report show every evening. ;)