Flight leaves 2pm day BEFORE cruise, is this okay?

aundi2002

What would you do?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Keep the flight from Cincinatti to Orlando at 2pm day before departure
    • Spend $1500 and change the flight to somewhere MORE south (to drive if have to)

No I havent already cancelled. Theres really no point in cancelling, right? All the airline would do is take my flights and then rebook someone else in their spot. With their crazy cancellation policies Im just going to let nature take its course. No point in giving the airlines a "heads up" if they arent going be reasonable

So at this point you have 2 flights booked? Are they now both nonrefundable? Your first flight is a 2pm the day prior. What is the other flight?

Being you aren't accepting of this original risk, you seen to improving it. BUT, there is very little chance, you will not be camping out, waiting, for standby seats if something happens. getting 5 coach seats on full flights will be days, will have you waiting until January, for 1st class.

A back up you need to consider is flying to Tampa, adds less than 2 hours. If something happens to the MCO flights, immediately ask about TPA

No I havent already cancelled. Theres really no point in cancelling, right? All the airline would do is take my flights and then rebook someone else in their spot. With their crazy cancellation policies Im just going to let nature take its course. No point in giving the airlines a "heads up" if they arent going be reasonable

Presumably you have non-refundable flights. But even with "non-refundable" flights you can still sometimes get something back. They won't give you your money back per se, but after assessing a cancellation fee/change fee, if there is any remaining value to your ticket you can usually get that amount in a voucher for future travel. Depending on what you paid, this may or may not be a significant amount. Even if it's not though, the courteous thing to do is to give them a heads up that you won't be flying. You seem opposed to that, asking why give them a heads up if they aren't going to be reasonable, but what is it they aren't being reasonable about? You bought a non-refundable ticket and they are following the rules of that ticket, which is no refunds. I don't get how they are being unreasonable. ???

Also, as someone pointed out, keep watching the schedule. If there is a major change, you CAN cancel your tickets and actually get a full refund. (assuming you haven't already canceled the tickets yourself)

This is so far out. As soon as they do a change to the reservation just call them, inform them that the change is not acceptable and you want a refund.

We are talking Delta correct? They are constantly tweaking flight times.

This is so far out. As soon as they do a change to the reservation just call them, inform them that the change is not acceptable and you want a refund.

Not so fast. It's not just any change in time that allows for the refund - it's got to be significant. The current rules for DL require at least a 90 minute change in either departure or arrival - less than that is not eligible for a free refund. At one time, DL's number was 60 minutes, but not now. Also, UA and AA have times in the 90 to 120 minute minimum for refund (can't recall the specifics now).

For $1800, I can book a direct flight from Charlotte to Orlando. Its not first class but flight is only 1.5 hours. I am highly considering just bailing out of inital plan and just booking a whole new flight and taking my losses.
I just booked a separate flight... I wish there was a way to recuperate my flight from before.. its a shame that will go to waste. Any suggestions?
Is your new flight booking for the same day as your previous booking? If so, you've done absolutely nothing to de-risk your travel plan. In fact, your new travel plan probably injects a whole lot of additional risk into the venture, as you're going to have to travel about 500 miles from (presumably) the Cincinnati area to Charlotte airport. If it's winter weather you're afraid of, you are probably more likely to miss your new flight from Charlotte as a result of winter weather (because it'll wreck your driving plans) than you are to have serious disruption at Cincinnati on the day.

Of course, you could de-risk the new plan a bit by driving to Charlotte a day before, but then you might as well just have changed your original flight to fly from Cincinnati another day earlier.

11 people out of 11 who voted in your poll suggested that you keep your original plan. As far as I can see, not a single person who posted to the thread suggested that you change to a different flight. Yet in 7 minutes you went from considering bailing out of the original plan to having dropped almost two thousand dollars on new tickets that aren't even in first class. Part of me does wonder what the point was of any of us spending any time or effort giving you advice at all, when you were just going to give in to personal blind panic?

• 1 month later...
Leaving on the Disney Dream on Dec 24 (Christmas Eve). Our flight is scheduled to leave out of Cincinnati the day before Dec 23rd (sunday) at 2pm. I am freaking out worried about flight delays.

Should I be worried? Anyone experienced missing their ship when the flight leaves the day before? At the point of a delay, we wouldnt be able to physically DRIVE all the way in time.

It costs over $1500 to change the flight and/or book a new flight.

I do NOT want to miss this cruise. Thanks

A few years ago it started snowing in Cincinnati 2 days before our cruise. The airline couldn't guarantee we would get to Florida on time. (Understandable). So we loaded up the car that day and hit the road. Got to the pier in time and made the trip. Found out our flight from Cincinnati had been delayed, and the connection in Atlanta was canceled. We never would have made it. We were given a credit for a future flight, which we used on our next cruise. Our ship actually delayed departure for 3 hours, to wait for passengers on a delayed flight from Minnesota. I will say that we didn't care about losing the cost of the tickets if the flights went as planned. This was a Christmas Disney cruise and we needed to get our kids there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app