TSA Pre Check When Booking On American Airlines but Flight Is British Airways

Keith1010

• 11 months later...

PreBloomer;

Absolutely false information! I have flown both out of JFK and DFW going internationally with pre check. That doesn’t include the multiple airports I’be flown from with connections to international flights with precheck!

There are certain international carriers that participate in the precheck program, while others do not.

Also, the system randomly chooses people with precheck to go through the normal lines in lieu of pre check.

OK, the world has changed since I first posted this.

British Airways now offers TSA pre check for flights from the USA to other countries.

We just took a flight a week ago and as of I believe one or two months ago they began offering it.

We had it.

Keith

Family who works for TSA in Boston told us No Pre-Check for any international flights.

Don't think it matters what airline you leave US you go through standard security. We love TSA Pre-Check for all our flights with US :).

This is absolutely true at Logan! No precheck in terminal E, the international terminal. I fly out of there regularly, twice in August. Last time, though, my boarding pass was stamped “expedited “, I think it was, and I did not have to remove shoes, iPad, etc. I do have Global Entry so perhaps that helped. I’m flying out of there again in two weeks and will see how it goes.

This is absolutely true at Logan! No precheck in terminal E, the international terminal.

The way I read the previous person's post was that TSA PreCheck was not offered on international flights at all, not just those out of Boston. Obviously TSA PreCheck is offered on international flights which is something that should have been clarified.

As you note, on occasions where there is no TSA PreCheck lane open you may get the PreCheck "Lite" which can vary from airport to airport but is a halfway house of PreCheck and regular screening.

I want to add that for the BA flight once I heard about this I had to go on line and provide my traveler id or whatever you call it for myself and my wife.

I was very happy that BA has this now. Really made things go easy at the airport like it does for the domestic flights.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

pinotlover I did specify Logan (Boston) sorry you felt the need to slam me, hope you feel better. It always makes me happy to make others feel good.

Keith1010 thank you so very much that would be great we are flying out of Boston Logan in the spring on BA.

Not a fan of Logan, but for international we are stuck with this airport. Boston is only 35-45 mins. from our house depending on the tunnel traffic.

pinotlover I did specify Logan (Boston) sorry you felt the need to slam me, hope you feel better. It always makes me happy to make others feel good.

Keith1010 thank you so very much that would be great we are flying out of Boston Logan in the spring on BA.

Not a fan of Logan, but for international we are stuck with this airport. Boston is only 35-45 mins. from our house depending on the tunnel traffic.

You are very welcome.

Just be sure to add your travelier information to your booking and you should be set.

Keith

No, you are not "stuck". You have made your own choice to fly from that airport. You could fly from BOS to JFK or another gateway for your international flight. You could drive to JFK and fly from there. You could head north to Montreal.

Now, granted those may not be as desirable for some factors but the truth is that you chose your form of "stuck". Perhaps you valued convenience over other factors. Perhaps schedules or price. But it almost always involves a voluntary choice. (Flying to Easter Island or Svalbard might be an exception).

At the airport getting through security TSA Pre-Approv will apply.

Keith

Thank you..I wasn't sure since it's an International flight....I certainly know it won't help on the return flight.

Thank you..I wasn't sure since it's an International flight....I certainly know it won't help on the return flight.

If your airport staffs a PreCheck line, and your airline participates with the PreCheck program, then it doesn't matter whether your flight is domestic or international. I flew JFK-BUD on Delta recently and was able to use the Pre line at JFK. If you cannot use Pre on an international departure leaving from the US, it's either because your airline doesn't participate in the program or your airport has chosen for whatever reason not to staff a Pre line at that particular terminal and at that particular time.

If your airport staffs a PreCheck line, and your airline participates with the PreCheck program, then it doesn't matter whether your flight is domestic or international. I flew JFK-BUD on Delta recently and was able to use the Pre line at JFK. If you cannot use Pre on an international departure leaving from the US, it's either because your airline doesn't participate in the program or your airport has chosen for whatever reason not to staff a Pre line at that particular terminal and at that particular time.

It's LAX & AA...so pretty sure they participate.

It's LAX & AA...so pretty sure they participate.

Then the only thing left to do is to verify that your Known Traveler Number has been entered into your reservation. Be aware that none of us are guaranteed TSA Pre✓; occasionally passengers are required to go through the regular screening, on a random basis.

Then the only thing left to do is to verify that your Known Traveler Number has been entered into your reservation. Be aware that none of us are guaranteed TSA Pre✓; occasionally passengers are required to go through the regular screening, on a random basis.

Yes...Thanks....I always add that info online when I book the flights....and am aware of those random checks.

No, you are not "stuck". You have made your own choice to fly from that airport. You could fly from BOS to JFK or another gateway for your international flight. You could drive to JFK and fly from there. You could head north to Montreal.

Now, granted those may not be as desirable for some factors but the truth is that you chose your form of "stuck". Perhaps you valued convenience over other factors. Perhaps schedules or price. But it almost always involves a voluntary choice. (Flying to Easter Island or Svalbard might be an exception).

Thanks but why would we drive 5-7 hours to JFK? It is mainly the returning to Boston that has been an issue (only on international flights of course). All three times from London.

Price we have to pay to travel at least we can, right :).