Seat advice for long flight please

Alula

I will be flying from San Francisco to Singapore and I would love advice on seat selection. Should I sit next to my husband in a middle seat ( he wants the aisle) or should I take the other aisle seat? It’s about an 18 hour flight. I don’t want to feel squished in the middle, but want to get some sleep. Then I read that a window seat is best for sleeping since you can lean on the window! I rarely fly, so I would love advice from some of you experts. Thanks!

What I do is my wife and I will pick a seat towards the back of the plane. In this plane I would avoid rows 38 and 40 though. https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_787-900.php

So we pick a seat in the back, but then I will pick a window seat and she will pick and aisle seat. And then we wait. Most people don't pick middle seats, and then when there are only middle seats most people pick middle seats towards the front of the plane. Lastly, seats automatically given to last minute customers or those who don't pick their seat usually go from front to back with middle being last.

There, you have the best chance of having no one sit in the middle. If the seat it taken, that person will happily take the window instead of being in the middle.

Or, each pick an aisle where you both will know you have an aisle.

I enjoy window seats, though this flight will be almost entirely in the dark. So the window is best for sleeping as you won't see much outside in the dark night.

It is a long flight, so if you have a chance to get a 3 seats for 2 people that would be nice. It is not a huge chance, a lot of flights go out full. But international flights tend to have lower loads then domestic flights. The three times I have done it in the last year or so on long haul flight it has worked.

Thank you! That’s very helpful.

What I do is my wife and I will pick a seat towards the back of the plane. In this plane I would avoid rows 38 and 40 though. https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_787-900.php

So we pick a seat in the back, but then I will pick a window seat and she will pick and aisle seat. And then we wait. Most people don't pick middle seats, and then when there are only middle seats most people pick middle seats towards the front of the plane. Lastly, seats automatically given to last minute customers or those who don't pick their seat usually go from front to back with middle being last.

There, you have the best chance of having no one sit in the middle. If the seat it taken, that person will happily take the window instead of being in the middle.

Or, each pick an aisle where you both will know you have an aisle.

I enjoy window seats, though this flight will be almost entirely in the dark. So the window is best for sleeping as you won't see much outside in the dark night.

It is a long flight, so if you have a chance to get a 3 seats for 2 people that would be nice. It is not a huge chance, a lot of flights go out full. But international flights tend to have lower loads then domestic flights. The three times I have done it in the last year or so on long haul flight it has worked.

I also agree with the strategy of picking a window and aisle, and leaving the middle seat open. If someone ends up being assigned that seat, I'd bet they'd be willing to change with one of you if you want to sit side-by-side.

The trouble with sitting near the back is that's usually near the restrooms. People tend to congregate there waiting on a restroom to open. And, most times there's a galley there which adds to the noise and commotion. All this makes it hard for me to sleep.

If the plane has two seats on each side, I would pick an aisle and window. Sounds like there are 3 seats on each side for the plane you are looking at. The trouble with picking a window is that you have to stumble over somebody if you have to get up. If that somebody is your spouse, then not too bad. I always hate to disturb a stranger who is also trying to sleep.

My wife and I typically pick two aisle seats across from each other. That way we can get up as we please and not disturb anybody. Yes, it's more difficult to sleep (for me) in an aisle seat but the convenience is worth it to me. And....before I get flamed....I don't mind getting up and letting the middle person out. After all, we all gotta go.

I also agree with the strategy of picking a window and aisle, and leaving the middle seat open. If someone ends up being assigned that seat, I'd bet they'd be willing to change with one of you if you want to sit side-by-side.

There are people who prefer the middle seat so they may not change with you.

Lots of people also dislike that strategy so they might say no just to make a point even if they prefer a aisle or window seat.

There are people who prefer the middle seat so they may not change with you.

It's hard to fathom why anyone would actually prefer a middle seat, particularly a solo traveler who would then have a stranger on both sides.

It's more common on wide body planes to have 3 seats on the sides, but some only have two. If any of your flight options are on such an aircraft that would be a no brainer; the OP's husband can have his preferred aisle, she can lean against the window for sleep, and only has to disturb her husband to get up. OP: otherwise I'd consider how often you think you'll need to get up during flight, because some people need to use the lavatory or stretch their legs more frequently than others. If you think you'll need to get up often, choose the aisle across from your husband. You can get up without disturbing anyone, just be understanding when your fellow middle and window passengers need to get up. If you don't need to get up often and think leaning against the window will help you sleep, choose the window seat. A good travel pillow can help too.

It's hard to fathom why anyone would actually prefer a middle seat, particularly a solo traveler who would then have a stranger on both sides.

It blows my mind too, but I have actually met a few people who admitted to me that they prefer middle seats. In all cases, it was because they were a nervous flier who felt safer being in between two people. Doesn't make sense to me, but they were very happy in the middle seat.

First on a long haul flight, I would spend the extra money to get a Premium economy seat, or a economy plus seat. My wife is disabled, and the extra room is helpful for moving. Like most people, we don't like disturbing others getting in and out of seats.

Next, we are on vacation for two weeks. So, sitting next to each other, is not needed. I like windows, she likes rows, but on a long haul flight, all I want is to sleep. So we pick seats in the center 3 (3-3-3) and pick a seat where she is sitting in front of me, and I am right behind her. So if she gets up, I can help easy if she needs it, and if the entire row is filled, no one is going to disturb her to get up, they will usually go the other isle. Usually, the sides of the plane fill up first. So sometimes, it happens, we have the middle seat empty with this strategy.

Either way, we are near each other. I can help her if needed. The biggest thing is that I can get more uninterrupted sleep knowing that anyone sitting next to me, will have the other aisle to get out on. I can sleep anywhere.

It blows my mind too, but I have actually met a few people who admitted to me that they prefer middle seats. In all cases, it was because they were a nervous flier who felt safer being in between two people. Doesn't make sense to me, but they were very happy in the middle seat.

That is crazy. Certainly extremely rare. I would never think there would be anyone who would say "oh no I will take the middle seat over the aisle".

I can see someone saying no to a window. But saying no to an aisle seems crazy.

To the OP someone saying no to one of the two seats would be incredibly rare. I guess it is possible though.

The 787 has no 2 seat rows unfortunately. For a flight this long it would be well worth the potential extra cost to reserve a two seat row or emergency exit seats. This is the type of flight where I would do everything to try to get a better seat like use miles to upgrade too.

As for being in the back. It can be bothersome to some. I usually prefer to be a few rows in front of the back of the plane when going with the 1-x-1 back of the plane strategy. Just 3-4 rows makes a big difference.

The 787 has no 2 seat rows unfortunately. For a flight this long it would be well worth the potential extra cost to reserve a two seat row or emergency exit seats.

While this thread is particular to UA 787s, I do want to clarify for anyone who may be reading this thread and forming an opinion about 787s in general - some airlines do have the two-seat rows. AA does, for example, as does BA. Those are just the two I have seen in person.

Configurations can very amongst airlines, even with the same aircraft type. And sometimes, even within the same airline on the same aircraft type.

While this thread is particular to UA 787s, I do want to clarify for anyone who may be reading this thread and forming an opinion about 787s in general - some airlines do have the two-seat rows. AA does, for example, as does BA. Those are just the two I have seen in person.

Configurations can very amongst airlines, even with the same aircraft type. And sometimes, even within the same airline on the same aircraft type.

I'm not sure if it is the 777 or 787 but Japan airlines has a 3-4-2 configuration. Guess they want to please everyone!

That is crazy. Certainly extremely rare. I would never think there would be anyone who would say "oh no I will take the middle seat over the aisle".

I can see someone saying no to a window. But saying no to an aisle seems crazy.

I prefer a window seat but if I have to pick middle or aisle close to the lavatories I defenitely pick middle.

If someone should assume that I would change seat to let two persons booked together in window + aisle sit together I should probably say no but if I was nicely asked I would agree to change to the window seat.

I prefer a window seat but if I have to pick middle or aisle close to the lavatories I defenitely pick middle.

If someone should assume that I would change seat to let two persons booked together in window + aisle sit together I should probably say no but if I was nicely asked I would agree to change to the window seat.

Well, with the 1-x-1 strategy you can offer either, that it what I would do, though I feel like most people prefer aisle seats.

I say 4-rows away from the lavatories on a recent red-eye long haul flight in an 77W. No issues, really did not notice anything.

It's one of the 777-200 versions.

The OP hasn't said when this trip is going to take place or whether they're using United or Singapore, both of which operate SFO-SIN nonstop. United uses 787s and Singapore uses A350s on some flights and 777s on others. All have three-abreast seating in economy.

Zach has made an important point that less frequently travelers may not be aware of. When an airline orders a plane from the manufacturer, it's not a one-size-fits-all order. The manufacturer will give the airline a host of options to choose from. As Zach pointed out, this an include the seat configuration, i.e. whether it is 3-4-3 or 2-5-2 or whatever. The individual airline can also decide what the width of each individual seat will be, whether each seat back will have an IFE screen or not, whether the upholstery will be cloth or leather, and so on.