Is the water drinkable on Carnival Dream?

leekh

I have wondered about this as well as I drink tons of water. I have ordered a pkg of water bottles for the cabin but may order more. Friends of ours that have gone on many cruises have told us it depends where the ship ports. Since we are sailing out of San Juan, they have said that the ship will fill up with water there and to not drink it as that area doesn't have good water. Anyone have similar experience?

They don't fill up on tap water at port. Bottle water yes, tap water no.

Despite what many believe on CC, it costs more to bunker water from shore than it does to make it onboard, so ships will only load water in port if the itinerary does not allow sufficient time at sea to make all the water needed. Water loaded in port, must be certified, within the last month, to meet either EPA or WHO standards for safe drinking water, and this test must have been done at the hydrants being used to load water, not a generic municipal water board report. Further, the water is chlorinated to 4ppm (typically higher than all municipalities) before it goes into the ship's tanks. Then, the water must be kept segregated, and not used, until a coliform bacteria test on the water comes back negative, and this takes 18-24 hours.

The difference between the water in your cabin sink and the water in the dining room or buffet is that in the latter locations, as well as the bar guns and ice makers, there are carbon filters on the equipment to filter out the chlorine, because the chlorine can form scale in the equipment (not for taste improvement). The water circulating around the ship (and unlike municipalities, the water is in constant circulation, not stagnant in underground pipes until you turn on the tap) must be constantly chlorinated until there is a residual chlorine content of 0.5ppm at the furthest point from the injection point. Your municipality chlorinates, and then sends the water into the piping system, where it sits and the chlorine dissipates naturally, so there is usually no residual chlorine in the water coming from the tap at home. You can replicate this by filling a pitcher of water from your cabin sink, and letting it stand open on the counter or in the "fridge" for a couple of hours, and the chlorine, and its taste will dissipate.

A big THANK YOU to chengkp75 for being here on this forum to clear up all the mystery, misconceptions and malarkey that come with all the wondering about what cruise ships do, or don't do, and just how things work! So good to have your professional insight to it all! Thanks again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

A big THANK YOU to chengkp75 for being here on this forum to clear up all the mystery, misconceptions and malarkey that come with all the wondering about what cruise ships do, or don't do, and just how things work! So good to have your professional insight to it all! Thanks again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

I agree. I also love it when chengkp75 chimes in. I always seem to learn something.

As far as the original question of water on the Dream, I noticed no off taste or anything unusual about the water on the ship last Sept. I drank it with every meal. We did however buy a pack of bottles water to take with us when we left the ship. It was nice having it right there in my backpack whenever we got thirsty.

Dear leekh,

Yes you may.

Be advised on Ship Water. You know a lot now is taken from the Seas/Oceans.

So yes if people do have a problem with Sodium , please beware.

Since Carnival on the main line does not allow us paying cruisers to BYO.. the costs are quite high.

As an example a large Supermarket named WEGMANs HQ in Monroe County, Rochester, NY I buy the sealed case of 35 pack for under $2.00. Yes 5.7 US Cents per bottle.

In NJ here we do not have a deposit on bottles , containers..etc.. either.

Buying bottled water aboard is a great revenue source.

Can you drink the water from the tap/faucet on the Carnival Dream? What about the water at the dining areas like Lido or MDR? Do we need to drink hot water instead? I see several post where people purchase bottled water from the Fun Shop. Our family drink a lot of water.

Ship's water is safer than most city water. Some people blame ships water for swollen feet. Usually its the salt in food and the amount of extra walking. Also I don't want to pay $15 a gallon for it.

Swelled feet has nothing to do with contaminated water. The reason why there’s a disproportionate reports of swollen feet from cruisers is because of the brain’s constant rebalancing mechanism. The ship rocks which causes a balancing disturbance and the brain sends more blood vessels to the feet in an attempt to rebalance.

Dear leekh,

Yes you may.

Be advised on Ship Water. You know a lot now is taken from the Seas/Oceans.

So yes if people do have a problem with Sodium , please beware.

And ship's water, that produced onboard "taken from the Seas/Oceans" will have a maximum sodium of 10ppm if produced by a flash evaporator(and more typically 1ppm), or 20ppm (and more typically 10ppm) if produced by a Reverse Osmosis watermaker. On the other hand, Miami municipal water had 30-50ppm, and NYC had 40-60ppm sodium in their latest water quality reports. And your home state of NJ has a legal limit of 50ppm sodium, and the water supplier in your county has been found to be supplying water at 108ppm a few years ago.

Swelled feet has nothing to do with contaminated water. The reason why there’s a disproportionate reports of swollen feet from cruisers is because of the brain’s constant rebalancing mechanism. The ship rocks which causes a balancing disturbance and the brain sends more blood vessels to the feet in an attempt to rebalance.
The brain can send blood vessels to the feet? Who knew? :D

Dear chengkp,

Sorry I have to Professionally disagree with your calculations.

I guess you did/do not know one of the eldest/longest publicly trading companies on the NYSE was called when taken over by Suez (French) United Water Resources. I helped formulate the process of water storage science in the large Lakes. The old Trading Symbol after it was called the Hackensack Water Company was UWR :NYSE.

The large Sodium levels are increasing too in the Oceans as well Seas. One cause you may not know of is people overfishing as well taking the largest sources off Ca (Calcium, which is the shells.

It is the Garden State. Not my home state as that is not a football nor baseball game. This US State is as well the Egg State ( hard shell egs the rates are set here), the Horse State, The Invention State, the Golf State PGA is HQ here. We produce cranberries and blueberries in one of the largest producers in the US and the world.

I hope this helps educate you, more now.

The Municipality, I reside in has many deep artisian wells and its own electric company too. We are one of two in this US State. The current rains have helped re-fill the underground aquifers.. I see nobody is telling the public about that now.

The past droughts had depleted them before but Mother Nature is refilling them here finally.

The waters on ships I was meaning in Sodium Levels as the waters taken aboard from the waters of Oceans/Seas etc.. are very highly salted and increasing in these HIGH levels as per what i had aforementioned.

Was that Miami, Ohio?

I saw up inRockland, Me the lat large ctuise ship allowed now is the QM2 too.

And ship's water, that produced onboard "taken from the Seas/Oceans" will have a maximum sodium of 10ppm if produced by a flash evaporator(and more typically 1ppm), or 20ppm (and more typically 10ppm) if produced by a Reverse Osmosis watermaker. On the other hand, Miami municipal water had 30-50ppm, and NYC had 40-60ppm sodium in their latest water quality reports. And your home state of NJ has a legal limit of 50ppm sodium, and the water supplier in your county has been found to be supplying water at 108ppm a few years ago.
Edited by AAAAmerican

I understand NJ water rots your brain. The water on the ship is fine, and while you could, I recommend you not drink from the toilet.

If you change your mind, you can order cases of bottled water from room service for the same price the Fun Shops sells them for.