Cheers Beverage Question

kurukthemal

Here's our situation and I am just curious if you would risk it knowing the policy

Stateroom #1:

Two adults

One 90+ Grandmom

Stateroom #2:

One adult

Three kids

Grandmom isn't interested in Cheers package, but all three adults are. Should we get Cheers package for Stateroom #1 and rely on Grandmom's ability to order for adult in Stateroom #2? Or is the no sharing policy truly and strictly enforced?

Thanks all!

Carnival has clearly recognised that sharing will take place... that is the only reason for their "everyone in the cabin must buy" policy. Grandma can buy drinks and hand them to anyone she wants as long as there is a bit of discretion. They don't follow you around to see what you do with your drink.

You may want to swap grandma out for the other drinker on the reservation. That way you can avoid the sharing issue. Grandma can still sleep where she wants... They don't prevent people from sleeping in another cabin than they are registered in.

put grandma with the 3 kids on the reservation.

order cheers for the 3 adults in the one room and once you are onboard, you can move people any way you want.

Thanks! I knew there was going to be an obvious and easy answer to it. Very much appreciated!

Carnival has clearly recognised that sharing will take place... that is the only reason for their "everyone in the cabin must buy" policy. Grandma can buy drinks and hand them to anyone she wants as long as there is a bit of discretion. They don't follow you around to see what you do with your drink.

You may want to swap grandma out for the other drinker on the reservation. That way you can avoid the sharing issue. Grandma can still sleep where she wants... They don't prevent people from sleeping in another cabin than they are registered in.

I'm honestly curious if anybody has gotten caught sharing. Its very difficult to think that they have the manpower to be able to monitor this. Or is it basically up to the bartender to make sure its sold to the correct person.

I'm honestly curious if anybody has gotten caught sharing. Its very difficult to think that they have the manpower to be able to monitor this. Or is it basically up to the bartender to make sure its sold to the correct person.

I read something on here a while back where some women were asked to stop sharing but they weren't using any discretion. Like they were handing it to the other woman AT THE BAR. Of course if you keep doing that they will talk to you about sharing. But if you buy a drink and simply walk 20 feet or so and hand it off they aren't going to catch it and aren't trying to.

right...

the only thing it hurts is the bottom line of the cruise line so inevitably they will raise prices to match the price point they want to keep.

so it only really hurts the people that are honest , but who cares about them anyway

I mean the smugglers hurt the honest people who just wanted to take their brand of water on board... Carnival will eventually catch up to this too

I've seen a security guard approach a college age person as she was handing off her drink to a friend after rounding the corner so the bar tender couldn't see her. They informed her that she would lose her drink package if she was caught again sharing. I believe that they might watch younger adults more. I don't think they would follow a 60 year old to see what they did with their drinks. Also, they can tell how close together you buy your drinks. They know a reasonable time it takes to consume a drink. If you go back to soon, they will get suspicious.

right...

the only thing it hurts is the bottom line of the cruise line so inevitably they will raise prices to match the price point they want to keep.

so it only really hurts the people that are honest , but who cares about them anyway

I mean the smugglers hurt the honest people who just wanted to take their brand of water on board... Carnival will eventually catch up to this too

Just as SaltyDingo stated, they're expecting people to share and to avoid hurting the bottom line they require both to purchase it. Just as in groups on 30 or more, erybody is required to buy it and the children are required to buy the bubbles package. Deterrence is only defense again this as they will offset the money made on the package to extra security to monitor it.

I've seen a security guard approach a college age person as she was handing off her drink to a friend after rounding the corner so the bar tender couldn't see her. They informed her that she would lose her drink package if she was caught again sharing. I believe that they might watch younger adults more. I don't think they would follow a 60 year old to see what they did with their drinks. Also, they can tell how close together you buy your drinks. They know a reasonable time it takes to consume a drink. If you go back to soon, they will get suspicious.

Its also entirely possible that the guard was concerned about underage consumption.

Just as SaltyDingo stated, they're expecting people to share and to avoid hurting the bottom line they require both to purchase it. Just as in groups on 30 or more, erybody is required to buy it and the children are required to buy the bubbles package. Deterrence is only defense again this as they will offset the money made on the package to extra security to monitor it.

Its also entirely possible that the guard was concerned about underage consumption.

and when the bottom line gets skewed because too many people are sharing... they WILL raise the price.

and when the bottom line gets skewed because too many people are sharing... they WILL raise the price.

And give them more reason to share? Frankly I don't care, I'll do what I want. Either you can afford it or you can't. And if they price it too high it will no longer be popular to a "value" cruise line. This is already becoming the case especially compared to NCL that offers it for free. That's why they "enhanced" the package to $50 per drink and and the little odds and inns.

• 6 months later...

Cheers seems like a lot of hassle to me, you are prepaying for drinks then spend a lot of time figuring out how to make it a good value and then others try to figure a way to beat the system. I am not going to prepay when I am pretty sure I would not drink that much but so what if I do, I don't have to give it any thought, I just pay the tab at the end. But these discussions are entertaining.

If you purchase the cheers package why do they care if you give someone else your alcoholic beverage? You are limited to 15 per day regardless if you or someone else consumes the drink. My husband has gotten it in the past and got me drinks. Handed it right to me as soon as it was sat down. A couple of times the bartender just handed them to me. (We did some room swapping so I didn't have to purchase it because I do not drink very often) he would get our granddaughter milkshakes with it, she would te them what kind she wanted, they fix it, and hand it to her. One of our friends had his cut off for 4 hours after boarding back on in Grand Turk, he was very drunk. He knew he could not drink his 15 drinks for the day, he was mad because they cut his card off for the 4 hours, so as soon as it was cut back on, he went to a bar and every 5 minutes he got a beer and gave it away until he hit 15. The bartenders all knew and on that occasion security knew, they were watching him do it. No one said a word about it.

• 3 weeks later...

:loudcry::loudcry:

Just curious ....how did the OP save any money by putting granny in with kids...They still had to purchase 4 cheers pkgs.
No, they only had to pay for Cheers for the three adults in the one cabin. Granny and the kids got no package.

right...

Personally I would never buy Cheers but to be honest I do not see ho sharing could hurt Carnival's bottom line. They price Cheers based on 15 drinks per day so why does it matter who actually drinks them?

Personally I would never buy Cheers but to be honest I do not see ho sharing could hurt Carnival's bottom line. They price Cheers based on 15 drinks per day so why does it matter who actually drinks them?

this is not true. It's based on 15 drinks that YOU can drink. That is a very big difference. In order to give the best price for Cheers that they can, they figure out the average that people drink. Its probably around 7 or 8 drinks. If most people suddenly started drinking 15 drinks, their average will go up, their price point will get higher and they will raise the prices.

The more people that drink 15 drinks, the less profit Carnival gets. The less profit Carnival gets, the more likely they will raise prices.