Hop on hop off bus prices

NSWP

No doubt many of you have got on the HO HO buses around the world. Our last one was in June in Oslo, Norway. Cost was 350 Norweigan Kroner for 2 tickets, that is $120 or $60 each. So I reckon that would be priciest HO HO around? What say ye?

I remember not that long ago, paying 20 Euro in places like Barcelona or Rome.

Those going to Scandinavia, be warned.:rolleyes:

Tickets please !!!!

Guess you didn't have any beer there, or McDonalds. High prices proliferate, one of the highest costing countries in the world.

Haven't checked lately, but with labour costs starting from $20/hour, and fuel about $3+ a litre, you can see how the supply costs cause that.

Finland,Sweden and Denmark were not as dear.Around 30 euro and for a few more a harbour,canal or river cruise was included.The same company run them all and they offer a 10% discount on all the following ports,cheers,Brian.

I found all the Scandinavian countries expensive, the Baltics not so. But if you go there you have to go visit the sights. The ships shorex and private tours were also highly priced, even the Brits on board were commenting about high prices for a coffee, double the cost of a 3 quid Costa.:cool:

But hey, some cafes in Sydney CBD are charging $5 for a cappucino these days. What is the HO HO bus price in Sydney?

What is the HO HO bus price in Sydney?

Sydney $55Au

http://www.sydney.com.au/hop-on-hop-off-bus-tour-sydney-bondi.htm

Auckland $45NZ

https://www.explorerbus.co.nz/prices/

https://www.explorerbus.co.nz/cruise-ships/

In both cases you can add on combo deals for other attractions/ferries etc

Oslo was 1 of the ports where we didn't use the HOHO.The only thing I remember is the little café in that park with all the statues ripping everyone off,charging 1 dollar,1 euro or 1 pound to use their toilet,when the free public one was shut.Not impressed at all.When we were in Os in 2013 the pound was about 1.40,and to us it was the most expensive place on earth.The rate is better now.So,Uncle Les,did you find the UK expensive this time around?Living on the outskirts of London and not being rich,I don,t think so.For tourists,places like Westminster Abbey for 25quid,that used to be free when I was a kid,more so maybe,cheers,Brian.

Oslo was 1 of the ports where we didn't use the HOHO.The only thing I remember is the little café in that park with all the statues ripping everyone off,charging 1 dollar,1 euro or 1 pound to use their toilet,when the free public one was shut.Not impressed at all.When we were in Os in 2013 the pound was about 1.40,and to us it was the most expensive place on earth.The rate is better now.So,Uncle Les,did you find the UK expensive this time around?Living on the outskirts of London and not being rich,I don,t think so.For tourists,places like Westminster Abbey for 25quid,that used to be free when I was a kid,more so maybe,cheers,Brian.

brian, we spent a few weeks in UK pre post cruises, at Stow in the Wold, Chepstow, Southampton and Huntingdon, mix of Holidays Inns and pubs. I did not find UK any more expensive than Sydney, save for the price of a glass of wine for 8 quid, a fish and chip meal at the pub was also 8 quid. Once you look at the steak menu, 20 quid real easy. But same here, 35 to 40 dollars for a steak, dining out. Many supermarket prices in UK were lower than OZ.:o

Vino is way overpriced in UK pubs, hotels, restaurants. Cheap enough in the supermarket like here. I get a glass of drinkable wine at my golf club for around AU$5. But on Princess ships, cheapest bottle of wine US$30, but wine is like petrol, you have to have it.

Edited by NSWP

brian, we spent a few weeks in UK pre post cruises, at Stow in the Wold, Chepstow, Southampton and Huntingdon, mix of Holidays Inns and pubs. I did not find UK any more expensive than Sydney, save for the price of a glass of wine for 8 quid, a fish and chip meal at the pub was also 8 quid. Once you look at the steak menu, 20 quid real easy. But same here, 35 to 40 dollars for a steak, dining out. Many supermarket prices in UK were lower than OZ.:o

Vino is way overpriced in UK pubs, hotels, restaurants. Cheap enough in the supermarket like here. I get a glass of drinkable wine at my golf club for around AU$5. But on Princess ships, cheapest bottle of wine US$30, but wine is like petrol, you have to have it.

Try to avoid hotels other than Premier inns,staying at one next week at Gatwick,going to Corfu for our first Marella cruise.Here in Italy,1 litre of prosseco on tap 8-10 euro,bottle of decent plonk 15 euro,free pour LARGE voddy 4 euro.Melt in the mouth fillet steak 16 euro.I don't want to go back,lol.Cheers,Brian.

Really agree about the HOHO in Scandinavia. Not just price but availability. We had big issues in Finland where you couldn't jump off to look at stuff without missing all the rest. Not enough buses. Too many potential stops. You really had to choose especially if you wanted to do the included cruise.

But, the basic HOHO seems to be undergoing a real change at the moment with the introduction of the iVenture card. We used one recently in Cape Town . A five day pass gave us unlimited HOHO plus full day and half day coach tours and cruises and bonuses at places like the vineyards. We struggled to see and experience all that was on offer but when priced individually we were way ahead of what we paid. I think London has had it for few years and I believe it operates in Sydney and a few other cities too. It looks like the future of HOHO is to be in COMBO :)

Really agree about the HOHO in Scandinavia. Not just price but availability. We had big issues in Finland where you couldn't jump off to look at stuff without missing all the rest. Not enough buses. Too many potential stops. You really had to choose especially if you wanted to do the included cruise.

But, the basic HOHO seems to be undergoing a real change at the moment with the introduction of the iVenture card. We used one recently in Cape Town . A five day pass gave us unlimited HOHO plus full day and half day coach tours and cruises and bonuses at places like the vineyards. We struggled to see and experience all that was on offer but when priced individually we were way ahead of what we paid. I think London has had it for few years and I believe it operates in Sydney and a few other cities too. It looks like the future of HOHO is to be in COMBO :)

We had a 2day pass in May.We used the buses like taxis from the hotel to and from the V&A and the cable car.V&A waterfront reminded me of pier 39 in San Francisco,very reasonably priced meals there.Cheers,Brian.

Try to avoid hotels other than Premier inns,staying at one next week at Gatwick,going to Corfu for our first Marella cruise.Here in Italy,1 litre of prosseco on tap 8-10 euro,bottle of decent plonk 15 euro,free pour LARGE voddy 4 euro.Melt in the mouth fillet steak 16 euro.I don't want to go back,lol.Cheers,Brian.

Yes Premier Inns in UK, often a good deal. Like when we arrived at Heathrow got the new PI at Terminal 4 for 48 quid a night. Stayed in many of them all over UK. OK for a couple of nights and always an eatery within or next door at good prices. Get the meal deal, breakfast and dinner with your room.:halo:

Pretty normal for toilets to be charged for in Europe. Just the way things are there.

Yes, been like that for years, I remember back to 1997 on our 4 week Trafalgar European Coach Tour, the 'dragon ladies' guarding the toilet doors, no pay, no enter. A good tour guide would often have change to give out for toilet fees.

Pretty normal for toilets to be charged for in Europe. Just the way things are there.
Wrong in this case,just a scam between the café owner and the parkie.The parkie locking the free bogs,when us 3000 mugs sail into town.The yanks got the best deal as usual,1 dollar a go,us Brits drew the short straw again,lol.

Yes Premier Inns in UK, often a good deal. Like when we arrived at Heathrow got the new PI at Terminal 4 for 48 quid a night. Stayed in many of them all over UK. OK for a couple of nights and always an eatery within or next door at good prices. Get the meal deal, breakfast and dinner with your room.:halo:
We stayed at that one in April.Always too early for breakfast,cos of early flights.Good value dinners and reasonable wine prices,cheers,Brian.

Yes, been like that for years, I remember back to 1997 on our 4 week Trafalgar European Coach Tour, the 'dragon ladies' guarding the toilet doors, no pay, no enter. A good tour guide would often have change to give out for toilet fees.

Likewise on a Cosmos trip we did in 1997. Even had to pay for t/paper as you went in. Still the same last May.

Also, if in London, always carry 50p if you need to p.

Wrong in this case,just a scam between the café owner and the parkie.The parkie locking the free bogs,when us 3000 mugs sail into town.The yanks got the best deal as usual,1 dollar a go,us Brits drew the short straw again,lol.

No, it's right. What would even be the point of locking free toilets if they run them free. Defeats the purpose.

Just get used to paying for toilets in Europe, and consider yourself lucky if you find a free one available.

No, it's right. What would even be the point of locking free toilets if they run them free. Defeats the purpose.

Just get used to paying for toilets in Europe, and consider yourself lucky if you find a free one available.

The local government person responsible for toilets would unlawfully lock them and corruptly accept a donation from the café/restaurant charging tourists a fee to p, if you know what I mean.:o

Anyway back to the topic, it appears HO HO bus prices have increased world wide with $55 quoted for Sydney, but that is a 24 hour pass. Our Oslo one for $60 each was for a 1.5 hour loop ride only , then off.