Arrival and Departure

lec2017

Hey all!

Just booked our third Disney Cruise and we’ll be leaving in September. This is the first time we’re flying in the night before so I have some questions.

First, we are planning on staying at the Hyatt in the Orlando airport. So the day of the cruise we’ll walk down to ride the shuttle to Port Canaveral, any idea what time they general start shuttles? Also, is it better to wait for the 2nd or 3rd shuttle or would the first be best for not having to wait in long lines at the port?

Also, we possibly have a late flight out on the return day, has anyone booked a day room at the Hyatt Regency at the Orlando airport? I’m looking for how much it will cost and if you can book it in advance. Thanks!

Hey all!

Just booked our third Disney Cruise and we’ll be leaving in September. This is the first time we’re flying in the night before so I have some questions.

First, we are planning on staying at the Hyatt in the Orlando airport. So the day of the cruise we’ll walk down to ride the shuttle to Port Canaveral, any idea what time they general start shuttles? Also, is it better to wait for the 2nd or 3rd shuttle or would the first be best for not having to wait in long lines at the port?

Also, we possibly have a late flight out on the return day, has anyone booked a day room at the Hyatt Regency at the Orlando airport? I’m looking for how much it will cost and if you can book it in advance. Thanks!

When you check in a the Hyatt, be sure to mention that you have DCL transfers the next morning. You'll get a letter informing you of the procedure the next morning. Basically, leave your (checked) bags ready to go inside your room by XX time for pick up. Fill out the information slip at the bottom of the letter and hand it in at the check in for the bus the next morning.

The first bus generally departs at 9:00 am. They don't open the check in line until shortly before that time. Most of the time the CMs there will not allow people to start lining up for check in until just before they open the line. Sometimes, they don't care.

It takes about an hour to reach the port from MCO, so, if you're on the first bus, you'll actually arrive before they are allowing the general public into the terminal. Check in at the port begins at 10:30, with boarding starting at 11:30-11:45ish.

When you check in at the port, you'll receive your boarding number. Typically that number is based on the Port Arrival Time you select when you do your online check in, but currently is seems that people arriving via DCL transfers do no have to select a PAT. In that case you will receive the "next available" boarding number. It could be a low number (2 or 3) or a higher number (I've read where some have received a 12).

They do have day rooms available at the Hyatt. I believe they run in the $100 range, and you actually have to call to book them.

I basically agree with the above, although in my experience the first bus doesn't depart until somewhere in the 9:15-9:30 range. It takes about 45 minutes to get to port, and if you are on the first bus, you are the first people allowed into the terminal. After the people on that first bus are in the terminal, security will open for other people. You'll have essentially no line for check in. You don't need a PAT when you use DCL transportation, and will get the next available boarding number (usually low). Boarding starts about 11:15, so you will have a bit of a wait in the terminal, but chances are you'll be able to get one of the few seats available.

Yes, we have been on that first bus.

Technically, the Welcome Center opens at 9:00, but in reality it usually opens a little before that.

Day rooms at the Hyatt can be booked only by phoning the hotel directly, not the nationwide reservation number. The cost was $89, with taxes, that comes to just about $100. If you know you want it, book in advance--they have a limited number available.

Thank you for the replies. We have never boarded in the morning before, it’s always been the afternoon and we’ve walked right on the ship. Should we wait until later to ride the shuttle or is it fairly quick in the morning? I have a 3yr old and I’m just not sure how we would entertain her if we had to sit waiting for a few hours.

You won't be waiting for a few hours. You might be waiting for an hour. More likely it will be in the 45 minute range. There is a model of the original configuration of the Magic (we are amazed at how much it has changed). Characters come out sometimes. There are Disney black and white cartoons on TVs. Yes, you'll have to entertain your child. Bring along some cheerios and something to drink. Bring some coloring pages and a couple of crayons.

What are you going to do if you wait till afternoon? You'll need to be out of your room in the hotel at 11 (or maybe 12...). I'd go to the port early and have a lovely lunch on the ship.

I just called last week for a day rate at the Hyatt and the hours are from 10-6 and it was $109 for a day in October. We decided to rent a cart at the port so we could spend our day wherever we choose. (we have a late flight as well) Have a great time!!

I just called last week for a day rate at the Hyatt and the hours are from 10-6 and it was $109 for a day in October. We decided to rent a cart at the port so we could spend our day wherever we choose. (we have a late flight as well) Have a great time!!

Thanks for the update on the price increase. Actually, we usually rent a car as well--it gives you good flexibility with the departure day. The time I might change things and go for the room would be if I had young children who needed to nap. And if I had only a couple of hours, I'd hang at the airport. MCO is not a bad place to spend a little time. Key word is "little" though.

FYI, if anyone chooses to cruise from Ft. Lauderdale (DCL doesn't use this port except under emergency situations). we found a hotel that offered day rooms for $69 for up to 4 people AND provided a complimentary shuttle to the hotel and then to the airport. For three of us, the cost of the shuttle alone almost covered the cost of the room...as airport shuttle was $20 each. Yes, we could have gotten Uber or taxi transportation for less than cruise ship transfers, but...

And they stored our big bags in a luggage room so that we didn't have to drag them to the room. Obviously, we could have taken them if we'd wished. The only downside was that nothing was within walking distance, so the only food option was the $12 hamburger at the hotel restaurant.

Probably irrelevant on the DCL thread, but it was a pleasant surprise.

• 4 weeks later...

This will be our 2nd Disney Cruise on the Fantasy. We are staying at a hotel (with points) and driving to the port. Should I book parking at the port before we get there or are there plenty of spaces available during spring break? Also what is the earliest time we can get inside the terminal? I read somewhere that when we do our check in we will select a port arrival time. Is that true and will that determine our boarding time? So excited to be cruising DCL again. Would love the same fairy dust we had last time. Booked guaranteed inside state room but was given a balcony room next door to our BFF's!!!:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

The terminal generally opens at 10:30 or a few minutes earlier. The first people allowed in are the people who get off the first DCL bus from MCO. As soon as they are thru security, the terminal opens to all those waiting in line to enter. It is open to everyone by 10:30, so you are getting what was announced.

Yes, when you do your on line check in, you will select a PAT (port arrival time). That time is tied to the boarding card number that you will receive when you check in. Showing up before your PAT will not result in an earlier boarding number, and being a little late will not make your boarding number higher.

I can't really answer your parking question....to be safe, you might want to reserve a spot.

I'm confused. You booked a spring break cruise, posted today, and booked an IGT which got upgraded to a balcony? There are no *GT bookings available for next March at this time. Is this a hoax?

I can't really answer your parking question....to be safe' date=' you might want to reserve a spot.[/quote']

Parking in the garage at the terminal is basically a "first come, first served" thing. They used to let you prepay for parking - thus basically reserving a spot - but that option no longer exists. That said, we have never had a problem getting a space in the garage, regardless of what time we arrived.

I'm confused. You booked a spring break cruise, posted today, and booked an IGT which got upgraded to a balcony? There are no *GT bookings available for next March at this time. Is this a hoax?[/

Moki’smommy I was referring to our first Disney Fantasy Cruise in 2012 where we were upgraded to balcony room from an guaranteed inside stateroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That makes a lot more sense. Amazing upgrade!

I was so excited! We didn’t tell our husbands we were upgraded until we went to our rooms!!!!!! They were blown away!!!!! It was the best vacation we have ever taken!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FYI' date=' if anyone chooses to cruise from Ft. Lauderdale (DCL doesn't use this port except under emergency situations). we found a hotel that offered day rooms for $69 for up to 4 people AND provided a complimentary shuttle to the hotel and then to the airport. For three of us, the cost of the shuttle alone almost covered the cost of the room...as airport shuttle was $20 each. Yes, we could have gotten Uber or taxi transportation for less than cruise ship transfers, but...

And they stored our big bags in a luggage room so that we didn't have to drag them to the room. Obviously, we could have taken them if we'd wished. The only downside was that nothing was within walking distance, so the only food option was the $12 hamburger at the hotel restaurant.

Probably irrelevant on the DCL thread, but it was a pleasant surprise.[/quote']

Would you mind letting me know the name of the hotel? I'm taking an RCI cruise and our flight isn't until later in the day so this sounds great.

btw ... checked in to the airport Hyatt at 1 am the other day after arriving from Norway and not wanting to drive immediately ..... there was a DCL rep sitting behind the check in desk with the hotel person .... ready to help even at that hour.