Civitavecchia Shopping Question

grilljockey

My daughter and her boyfriend (poor college students) have saved and saved for a trip they are on in Rome, then heading to Civitavecchia tomorrow on a cruise.

While their flight went from Atlanta to Rome, their bags ended up in Paris (delayed flight in to Atlanta we think was the culprit). The bags have been sitting for a few days, and nobody could seem to track where exactly they were and when they would come to Rome.

Four days later, my daughter has received her bag, but he has not. Airfrance's website says that his bag is at the FCO airport, and they will go there tomrrow morning before heading to Civitavecchia in the early afternoon. But they have had so many false reports so many times these few days, we are not 100% confident that the bag is at the airport.

So he needs to buy some more clothes. They already had to buy some and they found an H&M about 20 minutes from their hotel. I would much prefer they get themselves to Civitavecchia earlier than they plan to and hopefully buy some basics there instead (assuming the bag is not at the airport or they cannot retrieve).

Any suggestions if there is decent shopping for a 21 year old boy near the port?

On the bright side, if they can make it through a few days together in dirty clothes in the heat of Roma, maybe it is true love! Also on the bright side, my family now believes me when I say they need to pack clothes and essentials in their carry-on's. They always ignored me before. NOTHING of mine ever gets checked...ever. ;)

First of all very sorry to hear this and fingers crossed it all works out for them, secondly - and with all due respect - I don't think the Azamara board is the best place to be asking this question. You could ask for it to be moved to the Italy ports of call board where you may get more help, or even better put your question on the Civitavecchia forum on Trip Advisor where you will get experts on the town.

If they can get to Civitavecchia in the morning there is a very good (and cheap) market selling all types of clothes/goods but it closes around 1pm. I believe it is open every day except Sunday but would be worth googling. The market is called San Lorenzo

First of all very sorry to hear this and fingers crossed it all works out for them, secondly - and with all due respect - I don't think the Azamara board is the best place to be asking this question. You could ask for it to be moved to the Italy ports of call board where you may get more help, or even better put your question on the Civitavecchia forum on Trip Advisor where you will get experts on the town.

If they can get to Civitavecchia in the morning there is a very good (and cheap) market selling all types of clothes/goods but it closes around 1pm. I believe it is open every day except Sunday but would be worth googling. The market is called San Lorenzo

When we called at Civitavechia last June the market which is at the far end of the beach was not open.

There is an indoor market near the port entrance mainly selling food and some non food items.

The town centre is small but there are several shops where you can buy clothes, shoes etc.

I hope the bag does turn up and they can enjoy their holiday.

Having my bag not turn up on the carousel at the airport is my worst nightmare so I have every sympathy for this couple.

As Bobal said if they can get to the morning market in Civitavecchia they could purchase T shirts and shorts as well as underwear. There are also some shops in town where further purchases could be made but obviously there would not be the variety of shops in Rome.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the missing bag is at FCO.

Thanks all for the responses and apologies if there was a better place to post. This is the only board I’m active with.

They showed up at the airport and the authorities said the bag was not there. He got a little ugly and forced them to go look. Low and behold, there it was. We believe it was sitting there for over 24 hours.

Amazing how badly this was handled by multiple airlines and airports. Makes me think we should all put an electronic tracking device in any checked baggage. Just can’t rely on the airlines and baggage handlers, especially when dealing between different countries.

Long story short, they are on their ship now and with clean clothes!

Thanks all for the responses and apologies if there was a better place to post. This is the only board I’m active with.

They showed up at the airport and the authorities said the bag was not there. He got a little ugly and forced them to go look. Low and behold, there it was. We believe it was sitting there for over 24 hours.

Amazing how badly this was handled by multiple airlines and airports. Makes me think we should all put an electronic tracking device in any checked baggage. Just can’t rely on the airlines and baggage handlers, especially when dealing between different countries.

Long story short, they are on their ship now and with clean clothes!

Great news.

Glad they got their bags back finally. They need to lean on Air France ASAP about compensation for their costs including going to FCO to re-claim the bag finally. Don't let Air France walk away scot free on this one. They are the final carrier and under IATA rules it is their responsibility.

About those electronic trackers, most of them have lithium batteries and the airlines are banning them due to the fire hazzard. The so called smart bags with the trackers built into them are already banned on most carriers.