Eating in the Golden Lion Now in the Evening

ToadOfToadHall

Reading these dress issue threads with interest. I've never sailed on the QM2, would like to but I don't do dresses. I had a scary incident with a long skirt, fortunately there were 2 big guys on the stairway ahead of me, they caught me. I wear a dressy pants suit, or my sparkly tops, I know these aren't formal as I've done the formal routine.

I've been cruising 35 years. I've worn long dresses, now I try to fit everything in my 26" suitcase. Princess is my go to cruise line. I just returned from a 30 day So. America cruise with 1 suitcase.

Sorry for long story, I am looking at the Nov. 3, 2019 TA on QM2. Sailing single, I would not like paying for an evening meal because I'm not dressed properly. When you pay extra to sail single, it should include food.

I saw the other thread about the change in dress code, but I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

Hello susancruzs, there is nothing wrong ( on Cunard) with your 'dressy pants suit and a nice sparkly top', finished off with good accessories ! ( evening shoes and evening bag... and perhaps a nice evening pashmina) ..."By the way this is coming from a guy who is posting" ! ;) Far too many females fret over the Cunard formal dress code ! (In well over 55 Cunard cruises/voyages) Almost every lady I've seen onboard Cunard make their evenings a sense of occasion ! (whether it's a formal evening or not) Unfortunately, it's often the 'guys' who tend to let the side down, the jacket dodgers and those guys who can't be bothered to make an effort to 'support their ladies'. ;)

Thanks for the posts and encouragements! I am going to do a Cunard crossing but not Fall 2019. It is on my bucket as a must do. I found a TA on Princess for Nov. so I'll do it after my fjords cruise. I must say I don't like seeing overly casual in the dining room. I think Princess invited this when they went smart casual, which leaves too much room for interpretation. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

We enjoyed the free sea day lunch more than once in the pub last year on QV. Is that impacted by this change? We were impressed they had enough cooks and waiters to provide table service to everyone. Was there ever food for free there at dinner time?

I never saw any prices on the evening menu on the QE recently.Perhaps someone can post it,otherwise it's fake news.
The Cunarder article talks about the new evening menu on Queen Victoria, there has been no mention of introducing it QE or QM2 yet.

We enjoyed the free sea day lunch more than once in the pub last year on QV. Is that impacted by this change? We were impressed they had enough cooks and waiters to provide table service to everyone. Was there ever food for free there at dinner time?
I wouldn't expect any change to lunch yet. Dinner was mentioned in the Daily Programme when we were on QV in March, we didn't spend much time in there so I didn't see any menus.

There is absolutely no reason you can't wear a sparkly top and silky trousers. It's the men's apparel that is the most restrictive on formal nights.

Kings Grill is dire -- been there, done that.

Does this mean being a man I can't wear my sparkly tops and silky trousers. :D:D:D

What is next? The Golden Line doing 24 or 23 a day food like O Sheehans/the local on NCL? Not that there is anything wrong with that after G32 at 3am in the morning but it does seem like the so called traditional cunard brand is getting further eroded rightly or wrongly.

I see dinner in the Golden Lion rolled out on the two other ships in short order. Then dinner in the Golden Lion can be another perk for the new super diamond category of Cunard World Clubers that I'm sure will be instituted any day now. ;) ;) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Update ! as of 21st June

Apparently the charge for the evening Pub meals didn't go as planned due to no uptake from the guest. :D So across the fleet evening pub meals/snacks are now complimentary, according to friends who are sailing on all three ships at the moment.

Given there are so many places on board to eat a splendid evening meal and

Given how busy the pub gets at lunchtime,

I'd prefer the pub did not serve food in the evening, so I can enjoy a good pint and a quiet chat with friends in a casual environment. THe GL has a good pub 'fee'. Don't spoil it.

Food in the Golden Lion turns it into an eatery, rather than a pub.

As I've said all along,it's always been free.The menu was pretty good with lamb shanks and sharing platters etc.I think it wasn't successful because half the ship poured in every night at quiz time.

• 3 weeks later...

On last year's EB crossing we got to eat in Golden Lion only once. One of the problems was they change ship's clocks at noon so lunch is cut an hour short on most days. The first day we sat down during lunchtime and it took forever when a server came over and took the lunch items off the table. I said, "We're waiting to order lunch". She said, "Lunch just ended". I was pretty ticked off that we didn't get to eat because nobody came to take our order. A problem with Golden Lion is they use it as an entertainment venue. People grab tables at lunchtime to wait for Bingo. It's hard to get in for a beer at other times because the place is jammed with people playing trivia or taking part in some other activity. I realize now the reason nobody ever came to take our order is the are som many folks in there hanging out not wanting to eat or drink.

On last year's EB crossing we got to eat in Golden Lion only once. One of the problems was they change ship's clocks at noon so lunch is cut an hour short on most days. The first day we sat down during lunchtime and it took forever when a server came over and took the lunch items off the table. I said, "We're waiting to order lunch". She said, "Lunch just ended". I was pretty ticked off that we didn't get to eat because nobody came to take our order. A problem with Golden Lion is they use it as an entertainment venue. People grab tables at lunchtime to wait for Bingo. It's hard to get in for a beer at other times because the place is jammed with people playing trivia or taking part in some other activity. I realize now the reason nobody ever came to take our order is the are som many folks in there hanging out not wanting to eat or drink.
Spot on,it's totally disorganized.On the Princess pub lunch,you wait at the entrance and are allocated a table and served in order.Bingo and trivia can be held in the Queens room or elsewhere.It's the same in the evening.