Dorothy

simonpjd

We notice that the LGBT community get an hour a day for meeting up in the Commodore Club. No longer as Friends of Dorothy.

But why do they get an hour in the best bar at a prime time for themselves. Surely they are now treated just like everyone else. Or do they think they still need their own space and time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Everyone is welcome. Go have fun with them!

True enough. FOD or 'Dorothy' are probably meaningless to these younger ones. Which , in a way is a pity.

Younger LGBTQ generations won't know of -or- largely unaware of our historical usage of slang /code words..

Absolutely true, and of course the history is more than just slang and code words. It's also a history of danger and oppression that happily in some parts of the world, we are recovering from. May the recovery continue!

I'm very much looking forward to this. Hope you don't mind if I hijack the thread and ask a question. Does everyone show up already dressed for the 6:00 dress requirement? I'd hate to make a major attire faux pas and risk having my card revoked. I just got it back after the last infraction.

I'm very much looking forward to this. Hope you don't mind if I hijack the thread and ask a question. Does everyone show up already dressed for the 6:00 dress requirement? I'd hate to make a major attire faux pas and risk having my card revoked. I just got it back after the last infraction.

You asked a good question, Steve. As the gathering is at 5:00, one can show up at the Commodore Club in casual attire. But we have been there when the magical dress code hour of 6:00 arrived and one of the servers had to remind us to leave and change clothes. Sometimes we have arrived at 5:00 already in our black-and-whites, but not always. No dirty looks or shunning at 5:00.

Of course at 1700 some attend in formal attire, but the majority of revelers will not be so attired. Naturally, until at least recently, with the new dress code change, be it a formal or semi formal night gentlemen and ladies were always appropriately attired for that time of day!

Yes. On many, if not most evenings, the party is still going at 6 PM, but tends to wind down quickly. I'm certain that I've ordered "one more drink" at 6:00, but usually we're all finishing up at that point. The same transition happens throughout the lounge. I've never been "talked to" about my dress, and I've never been nervous as the clock strikes six, but have been conscious of the time and the need to drink up and move on the our cabin to get ready. By 6:30, the vast majority in the Commodore Club are appropriately attired.

I am so appreciative of the OP for starting this thread. I’ve had a history lesson, laughed, and received apparel advice.

Also: I was in the Air Force. “FOD walks” are to remove any Foreign Objects that might Damage (FOD) an aircraft intake. Yes, they should be “FO” walks, but it just doesn’t have the same ring, does it?

I just re-read my above reply post past edit time. To avoid confusion - No, you do not need to go to FOD in dinner attire. If you're early seating, you may wish to, since you'll likely be heading directly to the dining room. For the rest of us, just drink up between 6-6:30 or so.

- Mark

• 3 weeks later...