Live from Quest Rome to Venice

Grandma Cruising

Monday 16 July

Well, this is it, holiday over. We had booked the Azamara transfer to the airport, so we were off the ship by 8:50am and onto the bus. We got to the airport before 10am for a 14:50 flight. Unfortunately buses are not allowed to drop passengers off close to the terminal and it’s about a 400metre walk - with luggage - to the terminal building from the bus park. We couldn’t check in until after 12noon, so just ‘hung around’ until then. Once checked in we went through security and then into the main airport. It’s a very nice new airport with lots of shops and a few cafes - but very short of places to sit, though we have now found a seat so we can eat the (overpriced) sandwich we bought.

Hope everyone has a good journey home.

Meanwhile we are looking forwards to our next 2 Azamazing Cruises next July and November.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you HGC for the thread, the photos, and for all you do moderating our Azamara forum on Cruise Critic! :hearteyes:

We look forward to welcoming you back aboard in 2019!

Perfect, thank you! That makes a big difference. Want to end on a high note, not dragging our luggage in the heat and humidity to a chaotic airport.

I can confirm the drop off, but found VCE a less than relaxing airport to leave from. You might have a ticket that gives lounge access which would be a good thing. Otherwise if you are going to spend a couple of hours or more there I’d recommend Googling lounge access for a fee. Worth it in my view. Nowhere to sit apart from the gates. It was an odd airport.

Phil

I can confirm the drop off, but found VCE a less than relaxing airport to leave from. You might have a ticket that gives lounge access which would be a good thing. Otherwise if you are going to spend a couple of hours or more there I’d recommend Googling lounge access for a fee. Worth it in my view. Nowhere to sit apart from the gates. It was an odd airport.

Phil

Quite agree, Phil. It was dreadful. In order to get a seat you had to keep your eyes open and pounce as soon as someone stood up.

Thank you HGC for the thread, the photos, and for all you do moderating our Azamara forum on Cruise Critic! :hearteyes:

We look forward to welcoming you back aboard in 2019!

Thanks Bonnie, we are already starting to research our July Norway cruise on Journey.

I agree, on our cruise earlier this month the food was best we’ve had on Quest, our 4th Voyage on her. Executive Chef Colin is doing a great job, as are all the catering personnel from Phillip down to the assistant waiters and junior kitchen staff.

Looks like the chef onboard on October will be Iwan. I was very much looking forward to Colin's culinary expertise and offerings. Hopefully, Iwan will be as good...

Phil

Try to get into the business lounge. It was redesigned and given a much-needed overhaul recently. The seating (there's plenty!) is good. Food and drink? Okay but don't expect too much!

Another word of warning: Marco Polo seem to call people to the gates a little earlier than some airports and we've had three occasions (out of about 7) when we've got to the gate only to be 'held' because there was a delay.

The old water-taxi jetties have gone and there is now a well-organised drop-off area next to the covered start of the airport buildings. A bit of a trek to arrivals but there are travellators.

Quest moored up at the harbour for Ravenna this morning, right next to the biggest marina I have ever seen e0062eb801aac0c2bea50550da3abedf.jpg

I went to talk to the local tourism rep at her desk on deck 4 and she gave me a map and showed me the best route to see all the mosaics.

The (free) shuttle bus left from outside the port building and took about half an hour to Ravenna. We followed the map and bought a ticket (€9.50) to see go into 5 of the buildings which house the wonderful 5th Century mosaics.

They were amazing. So colourful and detailed. They took our breath away.

4e1c8b3dd5fc64e1d8c034fce445bc5c.jpg

3fb3534babf322749bf188cada6d23b2.jpg

7ed1ed3d4d1a93520c584e63e73efab0.jpg

579a0a14035f8055fb2688978946cbc4.jpg

Was the shuttle bus into town provided by your cruise line, or by the port? Do you remember how often it ran and what the drop-off point was?

Was the shuttle bus into town provided by your cruise line, or by the port? Do you remember how often it ran and what the drop-off point was?

It was a ship shuttle that took about 20 minutes. It dropped next to the Piazza Anita Garibaldi. I think they ran every half hour, but not sure on that one.

Phil

I think they were a bit more often than half an hour. When we went to get one back there were a couple waiting, and it seemed as if they went as soon as they were full. The drop off point was very convenient - very close to one of the sites for the mosaics.

I think they were a bit more often than half an hour. When we went to get one back there were a couple waiting, and it seemed as if they went as soon as they were full. The drop off point was very convenient - very close to one of the sites for the mosaics.

Love those Ravenna mosaic photos! They are amazing works of art.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like the itinerary that we are doing our first week in September. We are trying to make some plans but don't know where the ship is docked or tendered in each port, especially Amalfi. We are looking to do lunch somewhere special that day for my birthday. Any suggestions? Currently looking at Santa Caterina if it's close enough to get a ride from the port.

Sorry, no suggestions. In Amalfi, we were tendered. We went to Ravello on the open topped bus, then ferry to Positano. We didn’t eat off the ship, other than a gelato in Positano.

If you’ve never been to Ravello, then I’d definitely recommend going up there. The open topped bus is the best way - there are taxis, but they charge an arm and a leg, whereas the bus is €5 pp each way. It goes from the opposite side of the square from where the tender drops you & is every half hour. Here’s a link to the timetable https://www.city-sightseeing.it/public/9e9f5711-160c-4212-b8b5-8a45c9bae723.pdf.

I had a quick look at Ravello restaurants on Trip Advisor & there are a few. If you do go, then look around the Villa Ruffolo gardens -stunning views.

This looks like the itinerary that we are doing our first week in September. We are trying to make some plans but don't know where the ship is docked or tendered in each port, especially Amalfi. We are looking to do lunch somewhere special that day for my birthday. Any suggestions? Currently looking at Santa Caterina if it's close enough to get a ride from the port.

We ate at an amazing restaurant in Ravello; I don’t know the name but it is just outside the tunnel, on the left if you’re looking towards the tunnel.

Host Grandma Cruising

Great thread & Photos. Learned a lot. We are on our first Azamara cruise on a B2B Barcelona to Civitavecchia then to Venice on the Quest next month.

Question: We are in 8042 Port side on both cruises and hoping to see some great coastal sights from our veranda especially the Italian coast. Any input as to what we might see from our veranda on these cruises would be greatly appreciated.

On some parts of the cruise there was little to see out of the window ( we were in an OV stateroom), but from Amalfi, through the straits of Messina, there is a great view of the coast. When the ship is anchored what you see it depends on the tide, as the ship moves with it. In Amalfi, the view of the town was lovely.

If your cruise goes to Sibenik you need to be up on deck 10 or 11 either as you come into port or as you leave, the trip through St Anthony’s channel has great views on both sides. In Dubrovnik if the ship is anchored, you should be able to see the coast line, and, depending on the tide, may be able to see the old town.

The most spectacular thing is to be up on Deck 10 when the ship comes into Venice. From your port Verandah you will not see St Mark’s Square, but from Deck 10 you can see everything! It might mean getting up early!

Thanks again. Getting excited especially after reading your posts and seeing the photos. Starting to plan for next year cruise. Are there any advantages to booking a future Azamara cruise while on the ship?

What was your favorite all time Azamara cruise itinerary and time of year?

Yes, you get a discount & on-board credit for booking on-board and pay 50% of the normal deposit. If you book in the first half of your cruise you get $300 On Board Credit per stateroom and $200 if you book after that. The discount depends on your Le Club Voyage level. Here’s a link to the information on Azamara’s website https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/luxury-cruise-deals/cruise-again.

Our favourite Azamara Cruise is the relocation cruise through the Suez Canal. It’s usually Athens to Dubai in the autumn/winter. We have done it 3 times. The first 2 we chose it because it has lots of sea days - my husband had had a new knee before the first one and I had a new knee before the second time, so lots of lovely relaxing sea days were great. The third time we decided we had to do the 2 big tours from the cruise. We did an independent 2 day tour with ‘Your Egypt Tours’ to Luxor & the Valley of the Kings from Safaga, and the ship’s 1 day tour to Petra from Aqaba. Both were amazing. Even my husband, who is usually not too keen on archeological tours thoroughly enjoyed both of them.