What to do with 3-days in Dublin

BBMacLaird

First on my list would be the Chester Beatty Library. And, unbelievably, admission is free. This is the description from their website:

"Manuscripts, miniature paintings, prints, drawings, rare books and decorative arts complete this amazing collection - all the result of the collecting activities of one man - Sir Alfred Chester Beatty (1875-1968). Egyptian papyrus texts, beautifully illuminated copies of the Qur'an, the Bible, European medieval and renaissance manuscripts are among the highlights on display. In its diversity, the collection captures much of the richness of human creative expression from about 2700 BC to the present day."

Second is The Long Room at the Old Library at Trinity College. The Book of Kells is the main reason people visit, but the vastness of the room is something to behold all on its own.

Third, just wander the streets, stop for a bite to eat or drink, and soak in the atmosphere.

OK a couple,of things to look at before you go "Beyond the Pail"

Do the Guinness Storehouse, first off Guinness is best when drunk in Dublin, secondly you get a fabulous view over the city from the bar at the end of the tour.

A couple that might be off your main tourist map

St Michan's Church - Visit the vaults and meet some interesting folk including a Crusader. It's a fantastic tour, but you have to be reasonably mobile as there are steep steps.

Collins Barracks - the former British Military Headquarters on the edge of Pheonix Park, it has the history of the military in Ireland over the centuries, plus there are other non military exhibitions.

Dublin Castle - Another good tour

And finally do send an evening in Temple Bar taking in the nightlife and the craic.

When you visit Dublin Castle, be sure to find the Queen of Tarts for breakfast, lunch, tea and/ or scones! Two locations near the Castle. Have been there on both visits to Dublin and are planning a visit again next month while there with the Celebrity Silhouette.

Also looking forward to our fall visit to Cuba on the Journey.

IMO, getting OUT of Dublin is the best way to experience a more authentic Ireland. There are many day trips on Viator and similar websites that will take you local farms, mills, ruins, etc.

I agree with this one. The Guiness storefront tour is okay, but nothing really special. A lunch at Dublin's oldest bar, the Brazen Head, with a couple beers, is probably more fun. I suppose a boat trip down the River Liffey and catching a river dance performance would be good too. Dublin's a fun city and worth a day or two, but the other day, take a tour that includes Cliffs of Mohr, a castle, and something else.

Definitely a visit to the 'Dubarry' shop for a pair of authentic boots. When we visited there from Quest, the manager insisted on posting my boots home to Scotland for me, as he was so taken with us being on a cruise around UK and Ireland.

I enjoyed going to Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin. It is not far from the Guinness plant tour. I did see online that you can do a day tour to the Cliffs of Moher. The country side is beautiful and the cliffs are amazing. I have drove out to the cliffs when I stayed in Shannon, Ireland. I've been to the cliffs 3 times now. I'm planning to go back again as I found out that my 4th great-grandfather and family lived in small town near Shannon.

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling

Malahide Castle would be my suggestion. We took the train but I think you can also get there by bus. I believe there are also coach tours on offer though we prefer to do our own thing .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We enjoyed the National Museum of Ireland, Kilmainham Gaol and Little Museum of Dublin these three cover a lot of history in an accessible way.

Try white pudding as part of a full Irish breakfast.

Oh of course- find a bar, order a Guinness, drink the Guinness and repeat....

I agree with this one. The Guiness storefront tour is okay, but nothing really special. A lunch at Dublin's oldest bar, the Brazen Head, with a couple beers, is probably more fun. I suppose a boat trip down the River Liffey and catching a river dance performance would be good too. Dublin's a fun city and worth a day or two, but the other day, take a tour that includes Cliffs of Mohr, a castle, and something else.

been to Brazen head on my way back from Jameson Tour. the tour was a waste of time and money. the bar was fun.

If you want to travel for a day, why not take the train to Cork or Galway or Belfast, they are about 2 hrs on the train and a train is much better than a bus.

Please remember that Belfast uses different money and they do not even use that money in England.

Loved Riverdance..

walk thru St Stevens grenn

Temple bar area at night

The Bank- old bank building now a restaurant.

Abby Theatre

Please remember that Belfast uses different money and they do not even use that money in England.

While the currency in Northern Ireland looks different than in England (as does the currency in Scotland), they are all British Pounds, just printed with their own countries on them. That said, the Republic of Ireland (Dublin), uses the Euro. so it is different in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

While the currency in Northern Ireland looks different than in England (as does the currency in Scotland), they are all British Pounds, just printed with their own countries on them. That said, the Republic of Ireland (Dublin), uses the Euro. so it is different in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Quite right!

Of course, Scotland has its own pounds stirling notes. Try to use them in southern England ----quite a few shops are suspicious of them and refuse to take them!

Imagine each American state having its own dollar designs.... interesting.... I wonder what would be on them...

We're visiting Dublin in August 2019 on the Celebrity Silhouette ----can't wait because we've never been there! Too close to home!

There are 3 companies that offer HOHO...red, green and yellow.

We took the yellow one...which was less expensive , a longer ride with more stops. While we had done a HOHO before we saw many areas of Dublin that we did not see on the red bus.

We were there in late April this year on a Sunday and we found a pub that was full of locals...with lots of music and singing. Fun to be where the locals "hang out"!! LuAnn

I have friends who live outside Liverpool. they get rid of all lose change at the airport. the banks will not take them but will exchange pound notes. he said they are different.

Robin

The currency is the same, Northern Ireland is part of the U.K., the coinage is exactly the same as the rest of the U.K., so getting rid of the coins doesn't make sense, I suspect your friends are talking about Euros coins from Southern Ireland