Cancelled Pre-Cruise Excursion...

I booked a 3-day pre-cruise excursion (to the Veneto/Padua/Verona) prior to August 4th cruise to the Adriatic Coast and just found out that the excursion was cancelled.

First of all, I guess I am surprised that it was cancelled since I was assuming it was a small (4 person max?) tour.

But wondering now what my options are. (Already paid for the excursion.) At least on the Regent web site/My Account, there are no alternative pre-cruise excursions for this particular cruise. My flight is already booked so I have three days already scheduled prior to boarding.

TIA!

RK

I had a similar situation on Regent 3 years ago. It was not an “excursion” but a pre-cruise land program which had an extra cost. Regent, or the tour operator, did not have the minimum participation, so it was cancelled. I received a phone call telling me that it occurred. The tour fare was instantly refunded to my credit card.

Like you, I had purchased air arrangements on my own. Hence, I had to change my air reservation on my own. Your only other option is to stay 3 nights in hotels and explore independently.

I booked a 3-day pre-cruise excursion (to the Veneto/Padua/Verona) prior to August 4th cruise to the Adriatic Coast and just found out that the excursion was cancelled.

First of all, I guess I am surprised that it was cancelled since I was assuming it was a small (4 person max?) tour.

But wondering now what my options are. (Already paid for the excursion.) At least on the Regent web site/My Account, there are no alternative pre-cruise excursions for this particular cruise. My flight is already booked so I have three days already scheduled prior to boarding.

TIA!

RK

Where does your cruise start from? I assume you are flying to that city? I would keep the flight and do it on your own. It's pretty easy to book your own hotel and find a private guide in most cities.

Suggest that you speak with Regent (or your TA that could contact Regent for you) to see if there are options. Since you paid for the 3-day pre-cruise, you could likely get a refund. It sounds as if you booked your own air. If this is the case, I would weight the change fee that the airline charges against the refund you would get from Regent. Otherwise, you could get the refund, book your own hotel and do you own thing for 3 days.

Regent should pay for any fees you encounter for changing your air. It's their fault that you have to change.

Absolutely, any cruise line cancelling something booked by their customers needs to make those people whole with any expenses directly related to the cancellation. No different than what all cruise lines do for a cancelled cruise.

We really don't know if a portion (one excursion) of the 3-day pre-excursion was cancelled or the entire pre-excursion wa cancelled. Let's not make assumptions until we know the facts!

Quite right Jackie......facts, facts and nothing but the facts!!!!!!!!

Quite right Jackie......facts, facts and nothing but the facts!!!!!!!!

Facts you want, facts you will get. The OP stated:

"I booked a 3-day pre-cruise excursion (to the Veneto/Padua/Verona) prior to August 4th cruise to the Adriatic Coast and just found out that the excursion was cancelled.

But wondering now what my options are. (Already paid for the excursion.) At least on the Regent web site/My Account, there are no alternative pre-cruise excursions for this particular cruise. My flight is already booked so I have three days already scheduled prior to boarding."

Extremely clear the entire pre-cruise was cancelled.

"I booked a 3-day pre-cruise excursion (to the Veneto/Padua/Verona) prior to August 4th cruise to the Adriatic Coast and just found out that the excursion was cancelled.

But wondering now what my options are. (Already paid for the excursion.) At least on the Regent web site/My Account, there are no alternative pre-cruise excursions for this particular cruise. My flight is already booked so I have three days already scheduled prior to boarding."

Hi Dave,

I wasn't questioning your facts. Some people on this board prefer some facts more than their "own personal opinion"

I, on the other hand have no idea but would hope that Regent would do the right thing. I should imagine that with the brand they will reimburse the cost and hope for you that they will either put up another pre-cruise excursion or recommend an alternative.

It can't be much fun when you have been looking forward to something and it then disappears and i know that it sometimes takes a lot of planning and preparation for a vacation.

I hope it all works out well for you.

Pam.

Assuming that what you state is true, if the TS (Thread Starter) had booked with Regent, there would not be an issue. Regent would assist them in changing flights. However, if they booked their own flights, Regent likely does not have any responsibility for their flights.

The easiest thing for the TS to do is to get the refund and use the money to do their own 3-day pre-cruise vacation.

Assuming that what you state is true, if the TS (Thread Starter) had booked with Regent, there would not be an issue. Regent would assist them in changing flights. However, if they booked their own flights, Regent likely does not have any responsibility for their flights.

The easiest thing for the TS to do is to get the refund and use the money to do their own 3-day pre-cruise vacation...

Well since I started this, I guess I should put it to rest. I did hear back from Regent and their offer (to compensate for the cancelled pre-cruise excursion) was still p/u from airport and take back to ship, hotel in Verona for three nights and private chauffeured car for two days. (But would be on my own as to where to go and what to see. No alternative packages were available.) I asked if instead of Verona, what about a hotel in Venice and private transportation. (A car seems pretty useless in Venice but I'd love to have a chauffeured boat for a couple of days!) This didn't fly because I was told that the hotel Regent uses in Venice (the Hilton) was booked up. (Well maybe Regent's block is full but the hotel definitely has rooms available...)

Anyway, not going to sweat it. I'm sure that even though I have been before, I can find some things to do in Venice for a few days. (And really didn't consider changing flights. Did book through Regent but I am happy with the outbound leg so I am not wanting to change it.)

Thanks to everyone for their input!

RK

TIA!

RK

I've found the rates through the cruise line for hotels and tours are very expensive. You could get a better rate on your own. We frequently do Oceania cruises because I like book a few of our own private tours. For the same price of two people on a bus load of 40 people two people can get a private car and for about 1/2 the price the cruise line charges.