Nieuw Amsterdam class or Koningsdam class?

RMS Olympic

Would like to hear from those that have sailed on HAL, which class is more to your liking? Pros and or cons regardless of itinerary.

Does the increase in size and number of passengers on Koningsdam detract from the HAL style?

I sailed on Rotterdam in Jan....loved the ship, loved the crew.

Happy cruising to all.

Tom

Sorry to be so anal! but here I go:

Koningsdam is Pinnacle class

N A is signature class.

I liked the Koningsdam a lot but prefer the NA or Eurodam (signature class). I like the wide promenade decks on the signature class ships. Promenade on Koningsdam is very narrow and in some places difficult for two walkers to pass each other. No deck chairs on Koningsdam promenade decks.

The extra passengers is not a problem The ship never felt crowded and it was easy to get seats at all the entertainment venues. B.B. King blues club and Billboard Onboard are awesome.

Hi Hobie! Anal, no....just technically accurate on your part. Thanks for the comments. I sailed on the Rotterdam in Jan, loved the size of the ship. People always remark that HAL ships are floating nursing homes...I always respond saying no....

But the Rotterdam was an old age home.....I’m getting old but not one foot in the grave. I a m hoping it was because the embarkation port was Tampa. That HAL ships out of Ft Laladale have some life on board.

I am asking the comparison in order to decide on whether to book the NIeuw Amsterdam or the Nieuw Statendam.

Thanks for you input.

Tom

Would like to hear from those that have sailed on HAL, which class is more to your liking? Pros and or cons regardless of itinerary.

Does the increase in size and number of passengers on Koningsdam detract from the HAL style?

I sailed on Rotterdam in Jan....loved the ship, loved the crew.

Happy cruising to all.

Tom

The Koningsdam(Pinnacle Class) & Niew Amsterdam(Vista Class) Are really one in the same. The Pinnacle class is just a slightly "stretched" version. The promenade is narrower, but overall the ship really isn't all that much larger. I'd book it just for the "upgrades" that have come along since Niew Amsterdam was built.

We've been on the Eurodam and Niew Amsterdam. Loved both ships. Have not been on the Koningsdam, but from reviews and photos we don't have a desire to sail on it. As mentioned before, the promenade (we're promenade lovers) is narrower and not as inviting. We also rent a Retreat Cabana for the week. The ones on Koningsdam are much smaller. Another reason we have no desire to sail on Koningsdam are the staterooms, or at least category SA suites. On Eurodam and Niew Amsterdam the TV sits on the credenza, so you can watch sitting on the sofa or bed. The bathroom has a nice "dressing area" with curtain. On the Koningsdam the TV is mounted over the sofa, so you cannot lay there and watch TV. The "dressing area" is now another vanity and we don't need 3 sinks. I believe the rooms are smaller, too.

I have been on bith and I like both; some things ate better on one class vs the other but oveall both are goo. (Oh, and I prefer the Eurodam to the Nieuw Amsterdam but it is purely cosmetic!).

For RSVP parties the Signature class works better with the parties in the aft Lido deck - it gets hot and muggy around the midships Lido pool on the Koningsdam where the parties are held.

The Koningsdam has more dining venues that are exciting and I do love the Grand Dutch Cafe!

The Koningsdam's theater with wrap-around screens is great but it is too small for big RSVP events like Church Bingo.

A lot of the different issues between the classes are RSVP cruise related, on regular cruises it will be less of an issue.

To me the Koningsdam was fairly different from the Signature class while retaining a lot of the familiar HAL feel.

Hi Peter!

Hope all is great for you and Richard.

I have gone ahead and booked the Nieuw Statendam for April 14 next year. I was very pleased with the pricing....even as a single, the price for a balcony cabin was very reasonable. I watched a YouTube video tour of the Koningsdam.....and thought it was lovely so I expect the same for the Nieuw Statendam. I still need to get on the Nieuw Amsterdam......just don’t know when. So next year....NCL Bliss in January, Nieuw Statendam in April and finally the maiden Voyage of the Sky Princess in October. Curious to compare three new ships, totally different products to see which is best for me. Then 2020, NCL Encore followed by Virgin Voyages whenever the maiden Voyage is scheduled. Just call mea Hobie wannabe

Hi Peter!

Hope all is great for you and Richard.

I have gone ahead and booked the Nieuw Statendam for April 14 next year. I was very pleased with the pricing....even as a single, the price for a balcony cabin was very reasonable. I watched a YouTube video tour of the Koningsdam.....and thought it was lovely so I expect the same for the Nieuw Statendam. I still need to get on the Nieuw Amsterdam......just don’t know when. So next year....NCL Bliss in January, Nieuw Statendam in April and finally the maiden Voyage of the Sky Princess in October. Curious to compare three new ships, totally different products to see which is best for me. Then 2020, NCL Encore followed by Virgin Voyages whenever the maiden Voyage is scheduled. Just call mea Hobie wannabe ��

I'm glad that you booked the Nieuw Statendam for April. I'm sure you will like the ship and enjoy their entertainment options.

You have a busy 2019 planned with three different cruise lines!

Have fun!

Hi Hobie, where are you off to in 2019? I love seeing your pictures on your travels. I’m already researching possibilities for 2021 and 2022

My hope for 2022 if I’m still cruising is to celebrate the Big birthday that Sept by taking the Orient Express from London to Venice and then a cruise out of Venice....making it my final cruise. After that land tours to venture inland. Of course all is dependent on health, money and the world condition.

All the best

Tom

Hi Hobie, where are you off to in 2019? I love seeing your pictures on your travels. I’m already researching possibilities for 2021 and 2022 ��

My hope for 2022 if I’m still cruising is to celebrate the Big birthday that Sept by taking the Orient Express from London to Venice and then a cruise out of Venice....making it my final cruise. After that land tours to venture inland. Of course all is dependent on health, money and the world condition.

All the best

Tom

Thanks for your nice words about my photos. Gives me incentive to keep posting!

Your 2022 birthday trip sounds great. I need to start looking at the Orient Express.

I have four more cruises in 2018. All on HAL:

- Transatlantic crossing (Prisendam)

- New England/Canada (Veendam)

- Alaska cruise/tour. My 65th birthday cruise (hello Medicare!). (Westerdam)

-Grand Asia and Pacific for 82 days! (Amsterdam)

So far, my only planned cruise in 2019 is 10 night cruise to Cuba on Azamara (with the Pied Piper group). I want to do a So. America/Antarctica trip but haven't found the right deal yet.

2020 World Cruise on either Crystal Serenity or Cunard Queen Mary (I have paid deposits on both).

Three weeks from today, I'll be boarding the Prinsendam. Getting excited.

Take care, Glenn