Do you like wide angle?

pierces

If you shoot with an APS-C mirrorless camera, the 1.5x crop factor is a negative equal to the positive it gives you with a telephoto. Venus Optics has just released a lens that claws back some of that wideness. It has a 9mm focal length and based on the video below, it does it without much visible distortion and has impressive sharpness. And it is tiny!

The presenter does a good job reviewing with clear examples of both positives and the few negatives. The narration is a bit wooden, but I'm a crap enough public speaker to overlook it and concentrate on the pretty pictures.

Dave

Another review with samples.

http://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1037-laowa9f28

Dave

Thanks for posting it.

Was not familiar with this website before and not really that much interested in such an extreme wide-angle. I do have the Rokinon that you recommended.

However, the site had a review of the f1.8 Sony 85mm.

Query: Do I really "need" a sixth lens for my A6300?

Thanks for posting it.

Was not familiar with this website before and not really that much interested in such an extreme wide-angle. I do have the Rokinon that you recommended.

However, the site had a review of the f1.8 Sony 85mm.

Query: Do I really "need" a sixth lens for my A6300?

"Need" is such a slippery term...

"Need" can also be fleeting. Three of the six lenses I just sold were e-mount lenses that I had "needed" at one time or another.

However, I "need" to mention:

The 85mm f/1.8 is less than half the weight of the GMaster.

It is less than a third of the price of the GMaster.

With a score of 46, DxOMark rates it a point higher than the 85mm f/1.8 Zeiss Batis and only three points below the GMaster.

There hasn't been one review that led me to believe this lens wasn't worth the money.

I have a portrait project planned for later this year.

It's your decision as to whether you "need" one but for me the list above added up to slightly higher than "want" and I have determined that I do indeed "need" it.

Truth be told, the lens is apparently pretty fantastic and "want" and a little rationalization would have done it for me. ;)

Dave

Thanks Dave, moves me one step closer to the Canon M series some day.....When I really really really fully retire.

Rumor has it that Canon is considering upping its game on the M Series. So far it seems like they're a bit leery of cannibalizing the Rebel line. Maybe they'll decide before you need one. ;)

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

We flew in to Amsterdam a couple years ago on our way to Venice and saw tulip fields when we were getting ready to land. The fields were amazing! Where there are a few rows of each color in Oregon and Washington, there was a whole field of each in Holland. I'd love to go there and take some pictures of them some time. Wonder if I can talk my husband into that river cruise?

Vic