Ladies do you wear your formal wear for more than 1 cruise?

mcchane1

No more hauling formal wear for me. I have a pair of knit black pants and a few different blouses that I interchange. I also have a travel dress from Goddess on the Go that has a black mesh covering that goes over the dress that is really cute for formal night. I just bought a Daily Ritual dress from Amazon that I intend to dress up with a jacket or pashmina for one night. They have a really neat line of clothing that washes well and is great for travel and for the most part all is timeless. With a glittery piece of jewelry, scarf or pashmina, you can dress up anything! :)

• 1 month later...

I do not re wear my formal outfits. I may wear one from before on a non formal night. But I really enjoy my time being able to dress up, so it’s a personal preference. Plus we usually get pictures and I don’t want to be wearing the same dress in every one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We like to dress up a bit each night, then more so on elegant night. I have a whole section in my closet that's just cruise clothes. Bling, fancy, etc tops and a variety of more formal short dresses & chiffon pants. I've picked up quite a few things on sale at Dress Barn and Dillards.

I can't imagine buying a formal dress for a cruise and only wearing it once, unless for some reason, such as weight loss or (gasp) gain.

Just went shopping for a Prom dress with my granddaughter today. That was an eye opener as to price!!! We got by cheap back in the day.

I love dressing up for dinner on cruises. For me, that's part of the fun of cruising, playing dress-up! But I don't have any big ballroom type dresses; they are mostly short dressy cocktail dresses and some long maxi dresses. I also have a few more formal-looking long black velvet evening dresses - one sort of looks like a tango dress, with red satin piping swirling around and a halter neckline. The other has inlay of black roses with a slit on one side and red satin underneath. Those two are a little more bulky, but the others pack into nothing.

Also, I typically bring only 1 pair of dress shoes for nights. For my upcoming cruise in October in the Caribbean, I'm bringing a pair of black velvet wedges that weigh nothing and are super comfortable.

When McAlpins was still around, my sister and I would go to their "midnight madness" sales and I picked up those 2 black dresses above plus another two evening dresses for about $20 each, down from more than $200-300. This was probably 20 years ago! But they still look almost brand new and most importantly still fit :-)

We like to dress up a bit each night, then more so on elegant night. I have a whole section in my closet that's just cruise clothes. Bling, fancy, etc tops and a variety of more formal short dresses & chiffon pants. I've picked up quite a few things on sale at Dress Barn and Dillards.

Checkers Midwest! I think I'm going to look around for some pretty black chiffon palazzo pants this year. I've picked up a couple of blingy tops on huge sale (couldn't pass up, $17 at Macy's on "last act" sale) and if I got some fun/pretty black pants, I could do 2-3 nights with different combos ! Although I still love wearing my dresses....

• 3 weeks later...

I would wear it multiple times, even on the same cruise...yes. I said that. The ship is quite large....the first night you wear the gown, chances are not many fellow cruisers will see it anyway, and if they do....well, they will simply say what a terrific dress. I am trying to pack minimally this trip, aiming for only a carry-on. I have two black dresses...not gowns, but they aren't one's I would wear at home. I plan to wear both two times each, at least, with a wrap one night, without, switch up the jewelry.

How about this: I have the same “cruise clothes” that I pack for all my cruises. It sure makes packing easy, especially since my DH insists on only 2 carry-ons each. And yes, we do pack “dress up clothes.” After all we usually are in our bathing suits all day long, so we don’t need that many clothes and it’s easy to mix and match and make it look like you have several outfits:) I guess we are fortunate that we have been able to fit in the same clothes year after year....taking those steps instead of the elevator sure does help:

Happy cruising everyone!

How about this: I have the same “cruise clothes” that I pack for all my cruises. It sure makes packing easy, especially since my DH insists on only 2 carry-ons each. And yes, we do pack “dress up clothes.” After all we usually are in our bathing suits all day long, so we don’t need that many clothes and it’s easy to mix and match and make it look like you have several outfits[emoji4] I guess we are fortunate that we have been able to fit in the same clothes year after year....taking those steps instead of the elevator sure does help:

Happy cruising everyone!

We like to be in different clothes for different cruises so when we look back at the photos there’s something different about them besides how much older we look.

This mindset probably stems back to our honeymoon which was a 3 week coach tour of Europe. When we look at our photos from that wonderful time, DW still remarks that she’s wearing the same clothes at the Roman Coliseum and Lake Lucern and another outfit at the Grand Canal and Eiffel Tower. She also wore the same shirt at Windsor Castle that I was wearing in Belgium. And OMG, the same walking shoes in every picture!

When we were on a bus tour, at a different hotel every 2 or 3 nights, this made all the sense in the world. Almost every vacation we’ve done in the 26 years since has been cruising from a drive to port in part because we love seeing different places without having to pack and unpack and that means DW can pack as much as she wants (including a suitcase just for shoes).

We like to be in different clothes for different cruises so when we look back at the photos there’s something different about them besides how much older we look.

This mindset probably stems back to our honeymoon which was a 3 week coach tour of Europe. When we look at our photos from that wonderful time, DW still remarks that she’s wearing the same clothes at the Roman Coliseum and Lake Lucern and another outfit at the Grand Canal and Effie Tower. She also wore the same shirt at Windsor Castle that I was wearing in Belgium. And OMG, the same walking shoes in every picture!

When we were on a bus tour at a different hotel every 2 or 3 nights this made all the sense in the world. Almost every vacation we’ve do in the 26 years since has been cruising from a drive to port in part because we love seeing different places without having to pack and unpack and that means DW can pack as much as she wants (including a suitcase just for shoes).

Yes, we do laugh when we look at our pictures and see me in the same clothes...my DH usually has on a different tie:)

I guess we all do what works, right? The important thing is that we get to go on a cruise:):):)