Nikon B700 - opinions re Alaska Cruisetour

TomOG

I am going on an Alaska Cruisetour at the end of June this year. Thoughts on this camera for the casual photographer? Thanks!

It's no better or worse than any of the other small sensor P&S cameras on the market. It's image quality is "good enough" for casual snapshots but actually lesser image quality than today's best smart phones. But with the added advantage of a lot of telephoto reach. Be careful actually using the longer end of the telephoto reach -- unless using a tripod and plenty of light, those long shots typically won't work out very well.

Thoughts on this camera for the casual photographer?

I took an Olympus SZ-12 when I went to Alaska, and was quite happy with the results. The Nikon B700 has some additional optical zoom (60x vs. 24x). It also allows you to shoot in RAW format, which should allow you to use higher ISO, then use noise reduction to clean up the photos later. I could only go up to 400 ISO before the picture got to grainy for me.

You'll want to brace your camera for long range photos. (I was bracing mine at 24x zoom, and even lower.) But you can probably cheat a little bit by cranking up the ISO higher. Most scenic photos won't require much zoom. I rarely went over 6x magnification for scenery. You'll probably just be using the extra zoom for wildlife.

The Nikon B700 is also a bit bigger than the Olympus SZ-12. I'm not sure what you're comfortable carrying around with you. For me, compactness is a major consideration.