How easy is it to do the end of the world train at Ushuaia by yourself?

caneable

As ever, the cruise line stack up the cost of this excursion and I’m wondering how easy it is to get to the station from the cruise port. Are there taxis or local buses running the routes, and how reliable are they for return? Our cruise arrives early morning but departs early afternoon. There does seem to be enough time to get there independently, but it would require some certainty about arrangements for getting back to the ship.

Hopefully those who know a little more will chime in also but we were in Ushuaia earlier this year. There were cabs at the dock, I don't know the cost.

I did understand from others on our ship that the cruise line pretty much buys up the morning trains with excursions. Also I believe it's a one way trip so you would have to have your cab driver meet you in the park.

We took the cruise line's bus tour for convenience sake and also because we saw youtube video's of the train and it didn't look very comfortable!

If my memory is serving me right there were independent vans waiting at the dock to take people for tours as well.

Thanks for your response CruiseNH, and you’ve pretty much commented on a lot that I suspected, but we can only try. As you say, perhaps others who have tried this might be able to add to the comment.

Edited by caneable
typo

We decided that waiting to catch the train and the uncertainty of having a taxi available for the return to port was enough to motivate us to simply rent a car and drive into the park. Several car rental agencies within a few blocks of the port and the park is about 15 minutes away. You'd have plenty of time to walk the trails and visit the post office and wouldn't be limited to the area around the train terminus.

Thanks fredziffle, had a feeling I could count on you for helpful advice! So now can I pick up the nerve to drive in South America?

While we didn't rent a car in Ushuaia, we did travel to the National Park in a small van. The town itself, even with a population of 60,000, had minimal traffic. Once you get in the National Park the traffic diminishes to very infrequent sightings (at least that was our experience mid-afternoon following a noon arrival in port). I wouldn't hesitate to rent a car there. Your nerves should be fine!

• 4 weeks later...

There were several cab drivers at the pier waiting for business. We had pre-arranged our day with a driver, who also was an *amazing* guide. We had four people (two couples) - we met on our Cruise Critic Roll Call. We shared the cost of the fare between the four of us and it was well worth it. My review of the day and what we did is here:

https://baskeytravels.com/ushuaia-argentina/

We did visit the train station, but opted not to take it - there were so much to see and do - we kept on going :)

Heather

It is simple, I have done this 3 times and had groups following me, ALL raved about the cost savings and superior tour.

Walk out the port and get in a cab, you need pesos, there are several ATM's right on the main street. Will be about $20US, You also HAVE to have pesos for the park pass, as it requires cash. There "may" have been exceptions in the past- but do not count on it.

The benefit of taking this independently is you get round trip train. Ship tours, are usually one way, coming back on a dusty road, lined with trees and ditches. Cars are also packed. You have far more room independent. When you get back from the train- the station will call a cab for you.

I never have a problem getting a shared 4 passenger taxi, for a very reasonable transit.