Drinking water

cruisin1982

I don’t care for the bottle water they sell on the ships. I enjoy drinking pure water without minerals added. With that does the water they offer on the ship good. It it offered with the fountain drinks. Think someone is pulling a quick in on me saying it’s purified sea water. I know they do it parts of the world but think it’s very expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think I understand your post. The water on the ship most of the time is purchased from municipal supplies in the US (at Port Canaveral). That is cheaper than doing the purification on the ship. The water that is purified on the ship is done by reverse osmosis and then filtered. My understanding is that the storage tanks are filled each time the ship stops at a US port.

I don't think I understand your post. The water on the ship most of the time is purchased from municipal supplies in the US (at Port Canaveral). That is cheaper than doing the purification on the ship. The water that is purified on the ship is done by reverse osmosis and then filtered. My understanding is that the storage tanks are filled each time the ship stops at a US port.

I think this really depends on the cruise. A cruise with mostly port stops is going to be as you said, a cruise with a lot of sea days (the magic from NY down to bahamas and back) is going to be purified sea water as well.

I think this really depends on the cruise. A cruise with mostly port stops is going to be as you said, a cruise with a lot of sea days (the magic from NY down to bahamas and back) is going to be purified sea water as well.

Absolutely both are used. And DCL is very "picky" as to where they purchase water. But they do purchase where they can because it costs less to purchase than to purify sea water.

Absolutely both are used. And DCL is very "picky" as to where they purchase water. But they do purchase where they can because it costs less to purchase than to purify sea water.

It's not just DCL that is "picky" about where they bunker water. USPH regulations, for all cruise ships calling at the US, requires that the water source be tested, at the hydrant being used, not at the municipal facility, every month. And the water bunkered is chlorinated before it goes on the ship into the tanks, and must be held separate and unused, until a coliform bacteria test comes back negative, which takes 18-24 hours. For this reason, bunkering water in port is somewhat limited, and not routinely done in the Caribbean. Most ships produce the majority of their water by flash evaporation, not reverse osmosis, though most use both methods. The cost to make water using the flash evaporators, which tend to be 3 times the size of the RO units, is almost nil, since the vast majority of the energy is "waste heat" that comes from the diesel engines, and the energy would be sent overboard as cooling water if not used to make water. However, the speed that ships make to accomplish their itinerary is most important to using flash evaporators, since the more diesels they run, the more energy is available. For most municipalities in the US that host cruise ships, the cost of buying water is almost the same as running an RO unit.

Interesting....and slightly different from what I was told by a DCL officer. He did mention the testing, but said that when possible, they used purchased water as that was the least costly. He didn't say anything about the flash evaporation--obviously it makes sense that everything wasn't discussed in a single conversation. And, obviously, what happens in one area may not be the same as in another area....a trans-Atlantic cruise is different from a Caribbean cruise, for example.

Interesting....and slightly different from what I was told by a DCL officer. He did mention the testing' date=' but said that when possible, they used purchased water as that was the least costly. He didn't say anything about the flash evaporation--obviously it makes sense that everything wasn't discussed in a single conversation. And, obviously, what happens in one area may not be the same as in another area....a trans-Atlantic cruise is different from a Caribbean cruise, for example.[/quote']

It's really all about the itinerary. The Norwegian Sky, for example, doing the 3-4 day Bahamas run, has so little time at sea, and what time at sea was always just crawling to kill time, that she exclusively bunkers water in Miami and doesn't make any water. When the Sky was in Hawaii as the Aloha, again, we only had 60 hours at sea for a 7 day cruise, so we were always taking water at every port, but also making water to our capacity whenever possible. Before Hawaii, the Sky did eastern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan, and made 80-90% of the water onboard.

• 2 weeks later...
I don’t care for the bottle water they sell on the ships. I enjoy drinking pure water without minerals added. With that does the water they offer on the ship good. It it offered with the fountain drinks. Think someone is pulling a quick in on me saying it’s purified sea water. I know they do it parts of the world but think it’s very expensive

Not sure about the premise of your post but if water is an issue, do what me and my family do, buy a Brita water bottle with a filter inside and fill up at the fountain. Drink as much free filtered water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It not that I’m concerned about filtering the water I just don’t like coke brand water and if the water they serve taste good. Where we live we get ice mountain brand of water it’s just spring filtered water no minerals added.

It not that I’m concerned about filtering the water I just don’t like coke brand water and if the water they serve taste good. Where we live we get ice mountain brand of water it’s just spring filtered water no minerals added.

The water at the drink stations isn't "Coke brand water". It's water processed through the ship's water system.