wheelchair or not

gypsy6602

good day, i have never been on the disney dream and i have a slight handicap...is the ship really big and since i have issues with my legs would it pay me to get a scooter? TYIA

While I can't assess whether the ship is "really big" for you or not, I'd suggest, if you have issues walking a wheelchair might be the best option for you.

Mostly due to the fact that floor underfoot will not be "stable" like on land, and could move under your feet.

It really depends on your disability. There are often places where you can sit down for a moment as you move around the ship - not in cabin passageways, but in public areas. Unless it is really rough seas I don't think there'd be enough motion to disturb most people with a minor handicap, especially if it's distance that's difficult for you. Good luck and have a great time. Hopefully someone with more personal experience can help you out.

It really depends on your needs. Shmoo, I have no idea what you mean by "the floor moving under your feet." The floor is totally stable. There is motion of the ship and railings along the walls to assist with this.

My daughter has an illness that causes a mobility disorder. Several years ago it became necessary to book the HA cabin due to balance issues as well as having room for the various assist devices she uses. No matter what she chooses, there are problems with it. A scooter gives you mobility. It also jerks when you need to stop suddenly because of the children and idiots who step in front of it without looking. It is difficult to fit into elevators filled with people who rush to the doors when one opens rather than letting the scooter enter. Many thanks to those wonderful individuals who have held doors open for her! A manual wheel chair requires someone to push it--thus, she has little or no independence with one. Her disorder affects her arms as well, so she can't propel a manual chair. It is likely that at some point she will need a motorized chair, but fortunately she is not at that point. She really doesn't like the scooters as they jerk her back when she makes sudden stops. A motorized wheelchair is much better in this regard.

She has no more problem on the ship than on land; the issue is how far she needs to walk. The ship is reasonably stable most of the time.

My suggestion to you would be to use the least invasive means possible to meet your goals, and none of us knows what you need. A rollator (walker on wheels) can be purchased new for under $100 or used often for about $15. This provides support and assistance with balance as well as a place to sit. With functioning brakes, it is stable on the ship except in the worst of storms. The ship has several manual chairs available for loan if you board and then find that you need one. A scooter can easily be rented from one of several companies that supply equipment to cruisers.

Yes, the ship is big. The real question is how much assistance you need from a device and what family or friends are available to help you.

Hi there - we had a manual wheel chair and a cane with us while we were on the Disney Wonder. Mom was able to navigate using just the cane on board and we used the wheel chair for excursions and what not. We made sure to let Disney know we had mobility devices (since we were not in a handicapped room) and they were all so sweet to us and very helpful.

We are getting a walker for our Mediterranian cruise in May and will see how that is. We only had one day of rough seas so we ended up hanging out on our balcony.

• 3 weeks later...
good day, i have never been on the disney dream and i have a slight handicap...is the ship really big and since i have issues with my legs would it pay me to get a scooter? TYIA

I use a scooter at Disney Parks, and I have seen people use them on ships. I use a folding wheelchair-- why? Because there is little room in cabins for scooters unless you are in a suite. There isn't even much room for a wheelchair. Generally, I book an aft room so that I can just walk briefly, get on an elevator, and go directly up to the buffet. I use a wheelchair to get to the theater and other restaurants and sometimes just stay in it for convenience. If you have much trouble walking, also remember that it is often a long walk from the entrance to the terminal onto the ship. Get a wheelchair; use it when you need it.