New toy for the Sony APS-C crowd!

A Chinese lensmaker producing inexpensive but decent quality lenses isn't really breaking news these days but when this one popped up for $70, it was priced outrageously enough that I had to order one. Is it better than a Zeiss or Voigtlander? No. It is however, much better than I expected and it might just fill my need for a jacket pocket walkabout combo when traveling for business or on the way to a trip with the main gear in the bag.

Enough money for a 7Artisans 25mm f/1.8 lens might actually be found buried in your couch cushions.

I published a review HERE along with more samples.

p2852579296-3.jpg

f/5.6

p2852661147-5.jpg

Center crop

p2852661148-5.jpg

Dave

Still waiting for the new zoom, so I took the A6000 out this weekend with the 7Artisans 25mm.

Not perfect but not bad at all.

ISO2500

p2857933224-5.jpg

Stacked focus from a handheld set of 6 images (Claremont Ales Jacaranda IPA was excellent!)

p2857933225-5.jpg

Nothing special or odd. It just worked.p2857936152-5.jpg

Very fun so far.

Dave

Not bad. Not something I have need for right now, but I think I will look at the 7.5mm fisheye if they do it for the Sonys...

I didn't have a "need" but it seemed to fill a "want" for a compact 35mm-ish walkabout lens for the A6x00 bodies. At $70, it was more of an impulse buy that worked out better than expected. :)

For fisheye, I'm very happy with the 8MM f/2.8 Rokinon (silver is $50 cheaper than black for some reason.) Very sharp and covers the full APS-C frame nicely.

The 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 is half the price and based on my recent experience with the 25mm, I would probably give it a shot if I didn't already have the Rokinon.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I hadn't seen the sony mount for the 7.5. Added that to a wish list.

I didn't have a "need" but it seemed to fill a "want" for a compact 35mm-ish walkabout lens for the A6x00 bodies. At $70, it was more of an impulse buy that worked out better than expected. :)

For fisheye, I'm very happy with the 8MM f/2.8 Rokinon (silver is $50 cheaper than black for some reason.) Very sharp and covers the full APS-C frame nicely.

The 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 is half the price and based on my recent experience with the 25mm, I would probably give it a shot if I didn't already have the Rokinon.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
How does this new toy work at night or in low light?

The maximum aperture is f/2.8 so it should shoot as well as any f/2.8 lens in low light. The real limit would be your ability to see well enough to focus in dim light, a long enough exposure or the ability of your camera to shoot at high ISO.

I was able to focus on the starlit sky with my 12mm f/2.0 Rokinon at f/2.8 with my Sony A6000, so I'm guessing that as long as there is something you can focus on or just estimate distance (easy with such a wide angle), you can use it in near total darkness with the proper exposure settings.

Dave