Torn between Lumix Fz300 and Olympus TG 5

I appreciate any insights for anyone who has owned any of these. I tried the googs but i just got lost in the woods when it comes to the tech stuff and specs. It will be our lead cam for our upcoming trip to Kenya and for any of our future cruises moving forward.

We usually travel with an Iphone, Sony action cam and the lil’ Samsung P&S camera, i kinda consider this an upgrade of some sort..

TIA

I appreciate any insights for anyone who has owned any of these. I tried the googs but i just got lost in the woods when it comes to the tech stuff and specs. It will be our lead cam for our upcoming trip to Kenya and for any of our future cruises moving forward.

We usually travel with an Iphone, Sony action cam and the lil’ Samsung P&S camera, i kinda consider this an upgrade of some sort..

TIA

Considering Kenya, I would definitely go with the LUMIX for the far superior zoom. Yes, it's a much bigger camera, but if trying to capture animals in the wild, the extra zoom, and a fast zoom, will be key. I bought it for taking sports photos and am pleased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Olympus ‘tough’ camera is likely similar in performance to your point and shoot. The main difference is the tough part - it will keep working after a dunking.

The FZ is physically a larger camera, with proportionally a much larger lens. The lens is much brighter and all has a long zoom range (moderate wide angle to extreme telephoto). (There are also a variety of programmable and manual override features on the FZ, as well as a decent viewfinder)

If you are not planning on getting dunked (kayaking or white water rafting) I would recommend the FZ300. I have an older, larger model (FZ50) in my camera bag, along with an interchangeable lens camera. The FZ is the one I take for the unexpected.

Im leaning towards the Lumix, howeveri just wanna layout the advantages of the TG 5 (spec wise w/c i had no idea with in realtime)

Max ISO - 12.800 vs 6.400

Continous shoot - 20.0fps vs 12.0fps

Max Aperture wide - 2.00 vs 2.80

Focus bracketing - Yes vs No

Focus stacking - Yes vs No

UHS card support - Yes vs None

Will i be missing anything?

Im leaning towards the Lumix, howeveri just wanna layout the advantages of the TG 5 (spec wise w/c i had no idea with in realtime)

Will i be missing anything?

Max effective focal length 100mm (TG) vs 600mm (FZ)

Tele f stop - TG f5.9, FZ 2.8

The TG has built in GPS, wifi, and a later generation processor.

Both are good travel camera options, but as with everything there are compromises and tradeoffs.

I have a TG-5. I think it's wonderful. It's the camera I would take on any excursion that I thought would destroy a camera like a FZ300 (kayaking, whitewater rafting, etc).

However ... for shooting animals, I'm going to want the extra zoom. My past experience (reading the metadata of my old pictures) tells me that I use the full 600mm on many of my animal shots.

ISO

I ran some tests with my TG-5. Even with the noise reduction set to high, you'll notice the noise by the time you hit ISO 3200 (maybe slightly lower). At ISO 8000+ I noticed a color shift too. If I ever take a photo with that high ISO, I'm probably not going to be that happy with the result.

Focus Bracketing and Focus Stacking

These don't work very well with a target that is moving. I'd rather take one shot, and get the focus right the first time. If I recall correctly, you only get RAW for the first shot. They have uses for prepared shots, but I wouldn't rely on them for safari-like shots.

I have a TG-5. I think it's wonderful. It's the camera I would take on any excursion that I thought would destroy a camera like a FZ300 (kayaking, whitewater rafting, etc).

However ... for shooting animals, I'm going to want the extra zoom. My past experience (reading the metadata of my old pictures) tells me that I use the full 600mm on many of my animal shots.

ISO

I ran some tests with my TG-5. Even with the noise reduction set to high, you'll notice the noise by the time you hit ISO 3200 (maybe slightly lower). At ISO 8000+ I noticed a color shift too. If I ever take a photo with that high ISO, I'm probably not going to be that happy with the result.

Focus Bracketing and Focus Stacking

These don't work very well with a target that is moving. I'd rather take one shot, and get the focus right the first time. If I recall correctly, you only get RAW for the first shot. They have uses for prepared shots, but I wouldn't rely on them for safari-like shots.

How was the 4k video? Can you extract a 4k photo out of it?

I would be taking more videos than photos in the bushes(early this year). But also on our cruise in Normandy(late this year), I would like to take a decent photo of Mont St. Michel from the bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
How was the 4k video?

I haven't tested it. I've been much more interested in taking pictures rather than videos.

Can you extract a 4k photo out of it?

It's my understanding that image capture can be done on 4K videos. Both the camera and the Olympus Viewer 3 indicate they do image capture.

For example, see p. 59 of the TG-5 Tough manual.