Tell Me Why.....

Oville

We absolutely loved everything about our recent Viking Ocean experience! We did the West Indies Explorer itinerary (Caribbean). We did a mix of included shore excursions and the optional ones with the majority being optional, because for us they were more appealing. We were perfectly fine with that - we recognized that it was our choice.

We did not do Viking Air for this cruise because they were not offering Viking Air Plus and we prefer that so we can choose our own flights. When we called to cancel the air portion, we were given an air allowance.

In my opinion the Viking experience was top shelf all the way and I would certainly give it 5 stars - whether the gurus do or not, is not really my concern. I don’t know what precisely they require for a 5 Star experience, but my definition doesn’t require a butler. If your definition requires one, perhaps you had better look elsewhere. I’m sticking with my 5 stars.

As for expecting a Regent, Oceania, Crystal or SilverSea experience on Viking, you will not find exactly that experience, anymore than you will find the Viking experience on those lines. I don’t know why some people think that all lines should be the same to all people. If you want the Regent, Oceania, Crystal or SilverSea experience, perhaps you should sail with those companies. Please don’t come on Viking, and then look down your noses because all your Ts aren’t crossed, nor your Is dotted. We don’t really want to hear, “well, this is the way they do it on ____”. You are not on ____ and this is the way it’s done here [emoji12]

If you are going to venture out and try something different, expect that it will be different. We are not turtles, we can’t carry our preferred environment around with us [emoji13]

We prefer Viking, but we are booked on an Azamara cruise because it’s a closed loop cruise from NYC to Charleston, SC and Bermuda - a rather unique itinerary. I expect a different experience from our Viking experience - not better nor worse, but different.

What is it the French say? Vive le difference!

While I suspect I will come away still preferring Viking, I’m not over on their board asking why Azamara doesn’t do precisely what Viking does. I fully expect to enjoy what Azamara offers. I go into it knowing there will be differences, but I’m looking forward to a great cruise, and especially docking on Front St in Hamilton (which is just one of the reasons we picked this cruise).

Enjoy your cruise, no matter which line you prefer or choose!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, I started this tread back in March 2017 and just caught up to recent posts. This thing has gone all over the place.

My answer to “Tell Me Why” is that Viking Ocean was perhaps the best cruise ship experience we’ve had. Oceania’s specialty restaurants are hard to beat but the onboard ambiance on Viking was outstanding. We took none of the included excursions and we were annoyed that there was no discount for opting out of free air transportation, the the ship itself made up for that.

Katie

Thanks for stopping by with your udpate. I too love the Viking ship experience.

Look what you started with your simple question. ;) The thread does ramble into all things Viking which is great.

Cyber Kat,

Great post. I totally agree.

In my opinion the Viking experience was top shelf all the way and I would certainly give it 5 stars - whether the gurus do or not, is not really my concern. I don’t know what precisely they require for a 5 Star experience, but my definition doesn’t require a butler. If your definition requires one, perhaps you had better look elsewhere. I’m sticking with my 5 stars.

As for expecting a Regent, Oceania, Crystal or SilverSea experience on Viking, you will not find exactly that experience, anymore than you will find the Viking experience on those lines. I don’t know why some people think that all lines should be the same to all people. If you want the Regent, Oceania, Crystal or SilverSea experience, perhaps you should sail with those companies. Please don’t come on Viking, and then look down your noses because all your Ts aren’t crossed, nor your Is dotted. We don’t really want to hear, “well, this is the way they do it on ____”. You are not on ____ and this is the way it’s done here [emoji12]

(y) (y) if one thumb up is a "like", then 2 must be a "love." Totally agree! Well put!

• 1 month later...
Peregrina, We will take Viking Homelands cruise in July - this is our first cruise with Viking. I love this post - if we were not already booked, we would probably do so because of your thoughts. I have followed threads for months, and you are a wonderful source of information.

You will love Homelands cruise. We did it July 2015 and loved it.

You will love Homelands cruise. We did it July 2015 and loved it.

Yes, I know we would love it but since we have already done the Baltic, BVO, before Viking Ocean, Homelands is at the bottom of the very deep pile of places we want to see with Viking--and the list keeps getting longer and longer as they add itineraries (and with just one cruise a year, we may never get to the bottom;)).

Yes, I know we would love it but since we have already done the Baltic, BVO, before Viking Ocean, Homelands is at the bottom of the very deep pile of places we want to see with Viking--and the list keeps getting longer and longer as they add itineraries (and with just one cruise a year, we may never get to the bottom;)).

We are in the same boat (or should I say ship?). Still working, so we have the money but we have limited time. My daughter keeps telling me to retire, but then I fear we will have the time, but be less willing to spend the money! We will knock St. Petersburg off the list next year with Russian and the Baltic Sea, but there is still the south of France, the Rhine, the islands of the western Mediterranean, Viking's Italian Sojourn.....

We are in the same boat (or should I say ship?). Still working, so we have the money but we have limited time. My daughter keeps telling me to retire, but then I fear we will have the time, but be less willing to spend the money! We will knock St. Petersburg off the list next year with Russian and the Baltic Sea, but there is still the south of France, the Rhine, the islands of the western Mediterranean, Viking's Italian Sojourn.....

Precisely!!!

Good morning folks:)…...I am friends with the original poster (Hi Katie:D) and am looking at possibly trying a Viking Ocean cruise.

I have never visited the Scandinavian countries and have found a cruise on "The Sky" that looks very appealing to me. Denmark, Norway and Sweden...any thoughts from ya'll?

A bit about me...I am 60 and I cruise solo. Up until 2015 I was a regular on Celebrity and cruised with them for about 12 years. After 40 plus cruises with them, I branched out and took my first River Cruise (LOVED IT:D)

It was not on Viking....but AMA. (just for frame of reference). Then, due to some other life circumstances, I was able to branch out again but this time it was up to a luxury cruise. I sailed on SilverSea last summer and will be cruising with them again next Saturday:)…LOVED IT too.

I know Katie told me she and her hubby loved Ocean Viking so that is an opinion I do value. Just wondering

what else I can expect....how are solos treated? I realize this ship is larger than what I have recently sailed but I am thinking branching out is a good thing. I am not a big drinker although I do enjoy a cocktail...….would you

recommend a package or just pay as you go? Excursions? Are most of them small in size? Any help would be appreciated...….oh I am looking at an April sailing...……

Thanks for any input:)

Good morning folks:)…...I am friends with the original poster (Hi Katie:D) and am looking at possibly trying a Viking Ocean cruise.

I have never visited the Scandinavian countries and have found a cruise on "The Sky" that looks very appealing to me. Denmark, Norway and Sweden...any thoughts from ya'll?

A bit about me...I am 60 and I cruise solo. Up until 2015 I was a regular on Celebrity and cruised with them for about 12 years. After 40 plus cruises with them, I branched out and took my first River Cruise (LOVED IT:D)

It was not on Viking....but AMA. (just for frame of reference). Then, due to some other life circumstances, I was able to branch out again but this time it was up to a luxury cruise. I sailed on SilverSea last summer and will be cruising with them again next Saturday:)…LOVED IT too.

I know Katie told me she and her hubby loved Ocean Viking so that is an opinion I do value. Just wondering

what else I can expect....how are solos treated? I realize this ship is larger than what I have recently sailed but I am thinking branching out is a good thing. I am not a big drinker although I do enjoy a cocktail...….would you

recommend a package or just pay as you go? Excursions? Are most of them small in size? Any help would be appreciated...….oh I am looking at an April sailing...……

If you will be drinking one cocktail a day, then pay as you go. The package doesn't really pay for itself until your bar bill reaches $20 per day every day. Excursion size is hard to predict because it depends on so much. Walking tours may have slightly fewer on average, bus tours may have more and among the optional tours, it may simply be a matter of popularity of the destination.

While waiting for more answers, here are a couple of threads that might be of interest: Sailing Solo,

Singles on Viking,

What happens to solos under 2-for-1 discount offer?

Fancy seeing you here:-).

We are celebrating our 25th anniversary on Viking Ocean (The Star) in April! We are looking forward to both the itinerary (Empires of the Mediterranean) and the ship itself.

Robin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Fancy seeing you here:-).

We are celebrating our 25th anniversary on Viking Ocean (The Star) in April! We are looking forward to both the itinerary (Empires of the Mediterranean) and the ship itself.

Robin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hi Robin:)……….25 years? Congrats:D……..what date are you sailing?

If you will be drinking one cocktail a day, then pay as you go. The package doesn't really pay for itself until your bar bill reaches $20 per day every day. Excursion size is hard to predict because it depends on so much. Walking tours may have slightly fewer on average, bus tours may have more and among the optional tours, it may simply be a matter of popularity of the destination.

While waiting for more answers, here are a couple of threads that might be of interest: Sailing Solo,

Singles on Viking,

What happens to solos under 2-for-1 discount offer?

Thanks....there are days I may drink more than once...…..there may be days I don't drink at all. I can't put an exact number on it. A cocktail before dinner, a glass of wine with dinner......possibly a drink later in the evening. But I may not partake at all. Guess I need to decide what to do.

Thanks....there are days I may drink more than once...…..there may be days I don't drink at all. I can't put an exact number on it. A cocktail before dinner, a glass of wine with dinner......possibly a drink later in the evening. But I may not partake at all. Guess I need to decide what to do.

But remember that the house wines are included with dinner so that a unless you wanted to sample from the wine list, that's not part of your $20 per day. Soda is free at meals and soda in your complimentary mini-bar (replenished daily except in V class). Coffee (unless it has liquor added), tea, hot chocolate are also free in the bars and at meals. All things to consider. (Topic discussed ad nauseam in other threads if you need more input).

But remember that the house wines are included with dinner so that a unless you wanted to sample from the wine list, that's not part of your $20 per day. Soda is free at meals and soda in your complimentary mini-bar (replenished daily except in V class). Coffee (unless it has liquor added), tea, hot chocolate are also free in the bars and at meals. All things to consider. (Topic discussed ad nauseam in other threads if you need more input).

Oh...I guess I have not read enough threads or items on the website. I didn't realize wine is included with dinner and I am not a soda person. I probably don't need a package.

Oh...I guess I have not read enough threads or items on the website. I didn't realize wine is included with dinner and I am not a soda person. I probably don't need a package.

Lois, sorry, I just re-read what I wrote about the wines at dinner and realized that what I wrote is not clear at all.

The house wines are free at lunch and dinner or you may buy from the wine list by the glass or bottle. The wines bought by the glass would be included in the package (unless you chose one that is more than $15 per glass) but by the bottle is not included in the package (except that there is a discount on bottles above a certain price).

Try it because you are sick and tired of the nickel-and-diming. BUT the gratuities are not included Very strange

Not sure what the marketing brochures state in the US but here in the UK I have their 2018-2019 Ocean Cruise brochure and for each cruise itinerary where it details the dates and pricing there is a list under the heading "Enjoy it all, it's all included" and "On board gratuities" is the final item on the extensive list.

I was a bit surprised when I saw your post but as far as I can see nobody has challenged you to date on that statement

UK includes gratuities. US does not.

OK - thanks for the clarification. Must be a little confusing when there is a mix of US and UK passengers on board.

I presume the US cruisers have the gratuities added directly to their on board account on a per person per day basis. Not sure if there is an opt out if you want to tip directly as is the case with at least one UK based cruise line (P&O, part of Carnival Group)

OK - thanks for the clarification. Must be a little confusing when there is a mix of US and UK passengers on board.

I presume the US cruisers have the gratuities added directly to their on board account on a per person per day basis. Not sure if there is an opt out if you want to tip directly as is the case with at least one UK based cruise line (P&O, part of Carnival Group)

Yes, US pax have an opt out because it is added to our on board account at the end of the cruise. We may opt to pay in cash to individuals instead or adjust the amount up or down. However, before opting out out, folks should know that the tip pool goes not only to waiters and stewards but to other unseen crew members (kitchen, laundry and other members of the hotel crew), crew members who will not share in the bounty when you chose to opt out of the tip pool completely.

I’m so happy I found this thread. My husband and I have been loyal Celebrity cruisers for 15 years, but have become disillusioned with them recently. They are charging more and giving less. We just came back from an Alaska Celebrity land tour and cruise.

I have decided our next cruise will be on a smaller ship, and Viking fits the bill. I appreciate how pleased everyone is with the Viking Ocean experience.

I’m looking at the Caribbean itineraries for sometime next year.

It appears the deposit is $500 per person and the balance is due in 30 days. And there is a $100 pp penalty for cancellation, even months away? Is this correct?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this very informative thread.

I’m so happy I found this thread. My husband and I have been loyal Celebrity cruisers for 15 years, but have become disillusioned with them recently. They are charging more and giving less. We just came back from an Alaska Celebrity land tour and cruise.

I have decided our next cruise will be on a smaller ship, and Viking fits the bill. I appreciate how pleased everyone is with the Viking Ocean experience.

It appears the deposit is $500 per person and the balance is due in 30 days. And there is a $100 pp penalty for cancellation, even months away? Is this correct?

When you make your booking, tell them that you prefer to make final payment as late as possible. They will offer you six months ahead of the sail date, but only if you ask. Their standard policy is 9 months ahead, but they shorten it to 6 months if you - or your Travel Agent - asks. I don't think I've heard or read of anyone getting it reduced to less than 6 months, but I'm sure if so, someone will weigh in. (This timing applies if you're in the U.S. Non-U.S. residents have different rules for when payments are due.)

We found ourselves in the same situation. After over 40 cruises with Celebrity, we have had several disappointing cruises.Wonderful itineraries but poor dining experiences in the MDR. The class divisions have also become very obvious. Different dining venues. If you are not in a Suite, you are facing substandard food in MDR.

So we are doing our first Viking O to the Carib next Feb. The Viking Sea, Feb 7. Join us. Our balance was more and to be paid in 60 days. So you must be looking at a promotion.

We found ourselves in the same situation. After over 40 cruises with Celebrity, we have had several disappointing cruises.Wonderful itineraries but poor dining experiences in the MDR. The class divisions have also become very obvious. Different dining venues. If you are not in a Suite, you are facing substandard food in MDR.

So we are doing our first Viking O to the Carib next Feb. The Viking Sea, Feb 7. Join us. Our balance was more and to be paid in 60 days. So you must be looking at a promotion.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand. Your balance was more that what? And to be paid in 60 days? Is that 60 days after deposit/booking?

I’m just trying to figure out the logistics of booking and paying.

Did you use a travel agent? If so, do TA’s give any perks for booking Viking Ocean thru them?

Thanks.