Statue of Liberty visit

phillyguy31

Need the expert advice of those in the know. We are sailing out of NYC on a Sunday but staying over in Ridgefield Park the night before. I thought if we could get to the hotel by 10:30 and drop out bags, hotel said that would be ok, we should get to the ferry for the noon trip. By the time we get to the SOL is there really time to enjoy it, there will be 6 of us and at least 3 express going to the crown and of course Ellis Island is in he mix as well. The last thing I want is to rush around. Any opinion is appreciated.

People who go to the crown need to pre-purchase months ahead of the date the appropriate number of Crown Tickets. There is an official US government site for this. You print your vouchers out and exchange them at the Battery Park from where you get the ferry. When you initially book these you need an exact time you want to go up. Tickets are never available for the crown on the day. You are segregated from others visiting the statue and use different entrance and stairs in groups of something like eight people. It is top security and no metal objects including coins may be taken up to the top. Photo ID is required we took passports. You can hire a locker to put your stuff in for a fee.

The ferry does Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and returns to the Battery Park in a circular route. There is more to see at Ellis Island in my opinion but interesting going up to the crown. The double helical stairs are very tight if you weigh over 180 pounds well of a challenge.

Regards John

Did you buy tickets, because if not, you are “SOL” for the crown. Timing seems tight, it will take at least a half hour to get there without traffic, park, walk to the ferry, pick up tickets, go through security... I prefer to stay on the ferry and just get off at EI, but we do have reservations for the SOL in July because my sisters family want# to go inside.

Need the expert advice of those in the know. We are sailing out of NYC on a Sunday but staying over in Ridgefield Park the night before. I thought if we could get to the hotel by 10:30 and drop out bags, hotel said that would be ok, we should get to the ferry for the noon trip. By the time we get to the SOL is there really time to enjoy it, there will be 6 of us and at least 3 express going to the crown and of course Ellis Island is in he mix as well. The last thing I want is to rush around. Any opinion is appreciated.

Could you drive first to Liberty State Park in Jersey City, take the ferry to Ellis and Liberty Islands and after your visit then drive and check into the hotel?

The way I'm reading this is that you are coming from the Philadelphia area and staying overnight in Ridgefield Park. I would be driving with luggage directly to Liberty State Park in Jersey City to get the SOL ferry. Parking there is $7.

If you feel that you also must see downtown Manhattan, take the SOL ferry back to NYC, walk around ending up at the World Trade PATH station, take PATH one stop to Exchange Place, and Uber back to Liberty State Park. This will be a lot easier and a lot cheaper than driving into Manhattan and parking near the SOL.