Jerez. Horses and sherry excursion

silversurf

I was looking at this P and O excursion from Cadiz when we go on Ventura in the autumn.

I use a wheelchair but can walk a few steps. On the P and O website it says 25 steps to the viewing arena, but on the Jerez horses website it says that it wheelchair accessible.

I need my wheelchair from my cabin to the disembarkation area and to the port exit. Would also need it from the coach to the horse arena.

Does anyone know if P and O could accommodate this?When I have phoned them previously they have been less than helpful.

HI, we did this excursion many years ago so we are trying to think back.

If we remember rightly the viewing arena has tiered seats so am not sure how you would be with a wheelchair. Having said this, it seems that the Jerez site has it all in hand.

If we are really honest, we did not enjoy this excursion much. The time spent with the horses consisted of watching them 'train' the horses and not a show. Really did not like watching them with the whips on going to get these young horses to stand on their hind legs...... mmmmm

We did do a similar tour on Celebrity to the Lipizzaner horses and this seemed more 'kind' ..... this was a show so I suppose we didn't see the training just the finished product

Perhaps it was us but not what we expected at the time with P&O. The tour may have changed though.

The last time we went to Cadiz we stayed in the city and that was lovely.

Thank you for your reply. We may reconsider this as we are animal lovers and consider that training is best done with kindness.

Will think about just doing Cadiz on our own. Are there lots of cobblestones as these are difficult with a wheelchair although we manage if there are no steep inclines?

Yes many of the streets in the centre are cobbled in Cadiz but the cobbles are so old that they are fairly flat and worn down in some areas, if you know what I mean and more bumpy in others. It is also fairly flat generally and you can avoid any major inclines.

We have seen people moving around with wheelchairs and there did not seem to be any major issues for them other than the crowds of people to get through it the most popular central areas but that no different from the ships lifts!

You can also go round the cobbled bit to the more modern paved area if it is too much for you but the old streets are well worth seeing.

Have a look at the centre on google earth and that way you can decide if it’s ok for your personal circumstances.

It’s a lovely place to just to do DIY. Some amazing sea food restaurants and some really quaint old fashioned tapas bars to try the local sherry from Jerez.

If you want to avoid the cobbles altogether then there are broad boulevards that go for miles from the port along the water front to some lovely park areas in one direction and the historic port in the other.

Thank you for your reply. We may reconsider this as we are animal lovers and consider that training is best done with kindness.

Will think about just doing Cadiz on our own. Are there lots of cobblestones as these are difficult with a wheelchair although we manage if there are no steep inclines?

A great reply from Eglesbrech to help you.

Seems like you are real animal lovers. It bothered both of us to be honest re the horses .. could not put our fingers on it but we were both concerned. Nothing out of place that you would shout about but we both felt uneasy about it all. I am sure that the horses are well looked after and loved but we just didn't like the training methods. (Not sure if that makes sense at all)

Gosh, we are both big animal lovers and I didn't find the horse show cruel at all. We went round the stables, watched them train and then went to the show which lasted about an hour. there needs to be complete trust between horse and rider to perform like that and the horses muscles are so well tuned, it was amazing. Just amazing dressage performance.

I am sorry, can't comment about wheelchair access, as I don't remember. We went there by train and visited DIY.