Are Friends of Dorothy or GLBT parties standard on Carnival?

Schplinky

We sailed in November on the NCL Star for a 7-day. Everyday in the schedule (whatever they called it) were both Friends of Dorothy/GLBT and Friends of Bill W meetings. I had to explain to my 80 year old, traditional, southern mother named Dorothy what these were. Damn my DH thought that was funny. Whilst she is not religious, mom and I have some heated conversations about gay marriage. Different generations, that's for sure. (She had heard of AA.)

Anyhow, I wanted to point out that other cruise lines are also routinely organizing get togethers for GLBT cruisers, just like they do singles mixers.

And the question. I understand from the earlier comment that Dorothy refers to the Wizard of Oz Dorothy, but when did she become associated with homosexuality? Dorothy wasn't gay. Is she a popular drag persona? Was Judy Garland gay? My Mom and I are both curious.

And Oh dear lord, if I have used non PC language please forgive me. No flaming me. I'm just not up on the lingo. My mom is 80 and I'm no spring chicken.

FOD is associated with Judy Garland as she had a large gay following. Two of her husbands turned out to be gy. The FOD events are also associated with Dorothy Parker.(Google her for the info.)Many of us feel it's more Dorothy Parker than Judy.

The scheduling is usually very weird and changes daily. I never understood why they would do it during dinner or midnight. Most glbt people we have met on cruises are couples and we aren't awake at midnight and we aren't skipping dinner... On other cruise lines they have done them before dinner or at 9pm so more people would attend.

We have actually had better luck meeting up on CC before the cruise and just meeting up with each other on the ship at some point. That seems to work best.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

M partner of 23 years and I are going on Carnival Freedom on May 27. Anyone else joining?

We look for the FOD gathering on evry cruise we go to, and have met some wonderful people through them. Sometimes no one shows, sometimes a lot of peole show...Its a cruise, everyone is on their 'own time', but its nice to see that they have these, kind of a nice validation...:)

Edited by alviriv1

alviriv1 and jdredman:

There is now a separate forum for Gay/Lesbian roll calls. Check there to see if one is going for your sailings! :)

Yeah, I know. I started a thread, but no one replies. One thing that I find funny every time I start a thread on the gay forums - You get like 100 people reading what you write, but no reply. :cool:

Thanks anyway! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just came off the Carnival Glory yesterday, they had it at some odd times...

11:30pm a few nights ...most couples were in bed by then,

9:00pm a few times ...it was during the second dinner seating and

7:45pm one night....just before our dinner seating so could not stay

long. There was about 13 of us. I did see another couple who always

made eye contact but did not seem interested in mingling.

It was held at the Burgundy Bar which was in a very busy area

next to the disco, a few times it was taken over by straights.

They should have had it in the Blue Bar or another quiet place.

Edited by WDBGUY

Just came off the Carnival Glory yesterday, they had it at some odd times...

11:30pm a few nights ...most couples were in bed by then,

9:00pm a few times ...it was during the second dinner seating and

7:45pm one night....just before our dinner seating so could not stay

long. There was about 13 of us. I did see another couple who always

made eye contact but did not seem interested in mingling.

It was held at the Burgundy Bar which was in a very busy area

next to the disco, a few times it was taken over by straights.

They should have had it in the Blue Bar or another quiet place.

they really should have it at the same time every night. on our cruise on Carnival Splendor. it was at the same bar and most always the same time. I think 9pm.

I guess if the bar and times don't work out for most.. you could ask to have it moved to another bar or just move it to another bar yourselves. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

On Liberty most of the FOD meetings were at 11 pm in the Alchemy bar (popular spot between dance club and comedy club). A few were earlier or different locations. Never noticed any participants on the nights I passed by other than a group of gay guys who were obviously traveling together.

Soooo.... it's in the program, but don't count on it as a social resource. A lot of guys traveling as couples or groups just don't have any interest in participating.

• 1 month later...

Hi Greg,

I am also sailing on the Pearl on 12/09/2012. I will traveling by myself and look forward to meeting new people. Do you think they will have a FOA meeting? I really do not know how to use this site (just signed up). Having a problem locating others on this cruise? I do not mind if you email me at ducksoup123w@yahoo. Thanks for your reply.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I wonder if they'll have anything for the Carnival Inspiration on May 18, 2018 from Los Angeles to Ensenada. It's just a weekend cruise. How do I ask the Cruise Director to include a meeting in the itinerary?