Needing some advice

Hello everyone. My name is Alexandra and I am considering taking my boys Jordan, and Nicholas (6,7) on a Disney cruise in December on this year. This is will be our 2nd Disney cruise. My husband will not be joining us for the first part of the trip his work only gives him a short time during the holidays. I am planning on flying down with my boys on December 14, 2018 , I had both options of Port Canaveral and Miami but for the same price I can get on the Magic for 5 days instead of 3 days. I much rather do that but I do need to find transportation to meet my husband back at Disney World where we will stay until December 24, 2018. First does anyone have any information for a solo traveling parent? My boys are well behaved and I think we should be good but any recommendations on some adult alone time and what I could should be doing on board? Also any recommendations for transport from miami to orlando? Would you just leave from Port Canaveral just for proximity to WDW? Another advice or recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

Hello everyone. My name is Alexandra and I am considering taking my boys Jordan, and Nicholas (6,7) on a Disney cruise in December on this year. This is will be our 2nd Disney cruise. My husband will not be joining us for the first part of the trip his work only gives him a short time during the holidays. I am planning on flying down with my boys on December 14, 2018 , I had both options of Port Canaveral and Miami but for the same price I can get on the Magic for 5 days instead of 3 days. I much rather do that but I do need to find transportation to meet my husband back at Disney World where we will stay until December 24, 2018. First does anyone have any information for a solo traveling parent? My boys are well behaved and I think we should be good but any recommendations on some adult alone time and what I could should be doing on board? Also any recommendations for transport from miami to orlando? Would you just leave from Port Canaveral just for proximity to WDW? Another advice or recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

Personally, I'd a 5 night cruise over a 3 night one.

I haven't traveled with our kids alone, but a lot depends on your comfort zone in doing so. I think it's certainly do-able.

Transportation from Miami to WDW would really need to be rental car, for me.

While onboard both your kids would be in Oceaneer's Club/Lab. You can certainly utilize that for some alone time.

I have always been a single mom, and have traveled with my daughter since she was about 3 months old. You should have no problems.

The easiest way to get from Miami to WDW would be to do a one way car rental. In Florida, you don't have to pay drop off fees. You can pick up the car at a location near the port of Miami and drop it off at a location near WDW--these have shuttles that will take you back to your WDW resort hotel if staying on property. These are located at the Swan/Dolphin hotels at WDW, and the "good neighbor" hotels near Downtown Disney. Unless things have changed, Budget is at the Doubletree, Hertz (I think) is at the Hilton (for sure some brand is at the Hilton), etc.

You rent a car by 24 hour period, so if you pick it up at 10am on Monday, you must have it returned by 10 am on Tuesday. This can be nice because after the cruise, you'd be able to visit a grocery store and get some snacks or whatever (can save a lot of money in the parks), or get anything you might have forgotten. You could drop the boys with dad and return the car on your own if that is easier! The only downside is that the drive from Miami is about 4 hours; the drive from Port Canaveral is about an hour.

I would do the Magic. First, longer is always better in my mind. Secondly, the Magic is my favorite ship.

What do you want to do on board? Obviously, DCL has the kid programs so you can drop your dudes. I often chill out by the adult pool with a book...or in the Cove Cafe area if I want shade. There are the typical family trivia activities. I don't usually do the various "tastings," but they are available. I enjoy the rainforest if it is a winter cruise, but don't do it when it is hot outside. You can go to the fitness center. On some cruises there is a "single parent or cruising solo" lunch hosted by a CM--nice place to meet others who are in your position. These are sometimes well attended, sometimes not so much. In the evenings, there will be adult only variety shows and activities in the nightclub area of the ship. I've never been bored or lacked for something to do, but I'm fairly self-sufficient. We always had a lot of "family time" on the ship, but she used the Club/Lab daily as well.

SO...book a rental car at a place near the Port of Miami that has a shuttle service to the car place. Book with pick up in Miami, drop off at/near WDW. Sometimes a work related code or AAA code can get you booster seats at no additional charge. Otherwise you can choose to bring your own or pay the rental fee.

I have always been a single mom' date=' and have traveled with my daughter since she was about 3 months old. You should have no problems.

The easiest way to get from Miami to WDW would be to do a one way car rental. In Florida, you don't have to pay drop off fees. You can pick up the car at a location near the port of Miami and drop it off at a location near WDW--these have shuttles that will take you back to your WDW resort hotel if staying on property. These are located at the Swan/Dolphin hotels at WDW, and the "good neighbor" hotels near Downtown Disney. Unless things have changed, Budget is at the Doubletree, Hertz (I think) is at the Hilton (for sure some brand is at the Hilton), etc.

You rent a car by 24 hour period, so if you pick it up at 10am on Monday, you must have it returned by 10 am on Tuesday. This can be nice because after the cruise, you'd be able to visit a grocery store and get some snacks or whatever (can save a lot of money in the parks), or get anything you might have forgotten. You could drop the boys with dad and return the car on your own if that is easier! The only downside is that the drive from Miami is about 4 hours; the drive from Port Canaveral is about an hour.

I would do the Magic. First, longer is always better in my mind. Secondly, the Magic is my favorite ship.

What do you want to do on board? Obviously, DCL has the kid programs so you can drop your dudes. I often chill out by the adult pool with a book...or in the Cove Cafe area if I want shade. There are the typical family trivia activities. I don't usually do the various "tastings," but they are available. I enjoy the rainforest if it is a winter cruise, but don't do it when it is hot outside. You can go to the fitness center. On some cruises there is a "single parent or cruising solo" lunch hosted by a CM--nice place to meet others who are in your position. These are sometimes well attended, sometimes not so much. In the evenings, there will be adult only variety shows and activities in the nightclub area of the ship. I've never been bored or lacked for something to do, but I'm fairly self-sufficient. We always had a lot of "family time" on the ship, but she used the Club/Lab daily as well.

SO...book a rental car at a place near the Port of Miami that has a shuttle service to the car place. Book with pick up in Miami, drop off at/near WDW. Sometimes a work related code or AAA code can get you booster seats at no additional charge. Otherwise you can choose to bring your own or pay the rental fee.[/quote']

That’s so much for all the great advice! I was looking into the rainforest spa but maybe a 3 day pass. I have been on the Disney Dream so I am looking forward to the Magic. I hate drive distance especially where I have never driven before so I might do a shuttle from Miami to Orlando but those stop in a lot of places so I might just go ahead and rent a car. Plus we might just keep it since we like having a car to take us back and forth at Disney makes it quicker than Disney transportation. My eldest son loves the club and never wants to leave but the littlest stays for a while and than when he gets anxious they always page or call me to pick him up. He will stay in there long enough for me to do activities by myself but I can also use the tome to hang out with him. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally, I'd a 5 night cruise over a 3 night one.

I haven't traveled with our kids alone, but a lot depends on your comfort zone in doing so. I think it's certainly do-able.

Transportation from Miami to WDW would really need to be rental car, for me.

While onboard both your kids would be in Oceaneer's Club/Lab. You can certainly utilize that for some alone time.

Normally I will go small places here and there but I have never been on a flight with them alone. I’m really not worried once we get on the ship. I think I have decided on the 5 day it just makes more sense. Thanks for your feedback

We have used the Disney bus service with great results. Yes it is a little pricey, but the buses are comfortable and a great way to start the vacation. We added this feature on an upcoming Disney European cruise coming up. You can call Disney travel and they can add this great feature to your package.

Disney Cruise Line does offer the option of a transfer. You will be picked up at your hotel or at the airport in a coach bus and taken right to port. If checking luggage, you can put a DCL transfer tag on at your home airport and your luggage will be checked all the way through to your stateroom. The problem with purchasing transfers through DCL is the price. For a round trip, airport to Port Canaveral, the price is $70 per person. If you have a family of five like we do, the price is $350, which is the same price as 10 people renting a van from FL Tours.

Benefit - By having everything arranged through DCL, there are no worries about being late for the cruise.

Downside – Transfer costs are per person, so if you have a larger family, this will be a big expense.

We have used the Disney bus service with great results. Yes it is a little pricey, but the buses are comfortable and a great way to start the vacation. We added this feature on an upcoming Disney European cruise coming up. You can call Disney travel and they can add this great feature to your package.

Disney Cruise Line does offer the option of a transfer. You will be picked up at your hotel or at the airport in a coach bus and taken right to port. If checking luggage, you can put a DCL transfer tag on at your home airport and your luggage will be checked all the way through to your stateroom. The problem with purchasing transfers through DCL is the price. For a round trip, airport to Port Canaveral, the price is $70 per person. If you have a family of five like we do, the price is $350, which is the same price as 10 people renting a van from FL Tours.

Benefit - By having everything arranged through DCL, there are no worries about being late for the cruise.

Downside – Transfer costs are per person, so if you have a larger family, this will be a big expense.

Disney transfers get you from the nearest airport to the cruise terminal. The price varies depending on the port. They will NOT take you from the port of Miami to WDW. They will take you from the airport in Miami to the port. If you are flying in a day early, there are hotels in Miami which offer complimentary transportation to the cruise port. Uber also works great if you are not in a hotel with free transportation. Uber will also be cheaper for you to go from Miami airport to cruise terminal if you are flying in on the day of the cruise, but DCL transfers can do the same job.

Yes, DCL transfers will also take you from select hotels to the port for a fee.

The drive from Port of Miami to WDW is easy (virtually all expressway), but I certainly understand not being comfortable driving somewhere for the first time. As you noted, there are shuttles that will do it. They will cost more and are sort of a pain.

Another thing you need to consider is that WDW is now charging a parking fee for guests at their resorts. The fee varies with the resort type (parking at a deluxe resort costs more than at a value resort), and is currently in a "phase in" depending on the date you made/make your reservation. If you don't already have a reservation, you're going to be paying the parking fee. The exception is DVC members staying at DVC resorts.

You have to decide whether paying the parking fee is worth the convenience of having a vehicle on property or whether you want to return the car after the resort check in and use WDW transportation.

Another thing you need to consider is that WDW is now charging a parking fee for guests at their resorts. The fee varies with the resort type (parking at a deluxe resort costs more than at a value resort)' date=' and is currently in a "phase in" depending on the date you made/make your reservation. If you don't already have a reservation, you're going to be paying the parking fee. The exception is DVC members staying at DVC resorts.

You have to decide whether paying the parking fee is worth the convenience of having a vehicle on property or whether you want to return the car after the resort check in and use WDW transportation.[/quote']

We rent DVC points so we get the DVC parking paper printed with our stay but thank you for the information. I forgot about that new fee. I was thinking about free dinning but than would have to add parking cost.

Just trying to be complete.

No, you are not REQUIRED to have any documentation from your husband in order to take the kids on your own. However, it is never a bad idea to have a notarized letter basically stating that you (your name) has permission to take (Names of kids) outside of the US for a Disney cruise that is scheduled to embark on (date). My bank will do the notary part free. Put it in your documents--likely no one will ever look at it, but it is a good "just in case" to have.

You can find lots of these sample letters on line--it doesn't need to be anything complicated. It just shows that he knows where you have the kids. DCL won't ask for it, probably no one will. But if they do, it will save you some time and hassle.

And advise the kids that "we do not joke with Customs agents." They will often ask the kids questions--my daughter has been asked who I was, what was in her backpack, if she had any live animals with her, etc. Yup, it was the live animal one that she decided to joke about. Fortunately the agent was good about her silliness.

Hi, there is also a shuttle bus that goes from Miami cruise port to Orlando ... http://www.myfloridashuttlebus.com perhaps that would work.