Luggage at Brooklyn Port

robptaylor

We have a very long layover after our cruise disembarks and our flight. We would like to take the ferry to Manhattan but don't want to haul two large suitcases around.

Is there anyway to store bags at the terminal or have them shipped ahead to LGA? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

... Is there anyway to store bags at the terminal or have them shipped ahead to LGA?

There is no facility at the Brooklyn (or Manhattan) terminal to store luggage, part of it is security & also limited hours of operations. Forwarding luggage to the airport ... is it safe, all the what if's and airlines aren't going to permit just anyone to drop bags off.

If your flight is evening/late night, Schwartz Luggage (Storage) in Midtown West near Macy's, between NY Penn (train) and Port Authority Bus Terminal will store luggage, for a reasonable fee - we frequently recommend & those that used it reported no issues, they've been arouned.

With 2 large (heavy ??) suitcases and personal/cabin bags that you are likely keeping with you at all times, the ferry ride might or might not work - a taxi or Uber/Lyft to do the transfer will be easier, more simple but cost a bit more.

P.S. With all the ongoing LGA airport redevelopment construction work going on thru 2020+ , we advise planning extra cushion time for the trip out to LGA as delays cannot always be predicted. If you can manage luggage & deal with stairs and escalators/elevators, riding the E subway train underground, about 3 city blocks from Schwartz is a frugal option to connect to LGA's Q70-SBS bus service at Woodsite/Jackson Heights.

Thank you for the detailed information, you must be a native New Yorker.

I should have probably started with my true motive, we have friends in NYC we would like to visit.

I think what we may try on our arrival (departure) day is dropping our bags with the porter at the port (not sure how early that can occur) and take the ferry over to see WTC. I think if we take the ferry back around 1:30pm we should be good for our departure, around 5pm.

I think your suggestion of taking an Uber to Manhattan is probably the best thing for our disembarkation day. I think we may take an Uber to Manhattan (hopefully leave our bags with our friends) and spend the day with them. Our flight doesn't leave until 9:00pm. I think if we leave the city around 6:00pm we should be okay. Since it is a Saturday I would expect much rush hour.

Does that sound reasonable?

Sounded like a reasonable plan to me. BTW, plenty of native New Yorker here, among others.

Checking with your Roll Call on Cunad/Princess ?? about how early porters are there to accept luggage, I know over in Manhattan, they are ready by 8 am, sometimes even earlier - although most of busy with disembarkation.

On your way back from WTC/downtown to Red Hook pier, check the updated ferry schedule - if you miss it, a taxi or Uber ride on weekend from downtown shouldn't take more than 20 to 30 minutes, faster via the tolled tunnel - verify the all abroad/check-in time.

If your friend's home/location is convenient & don't mind, storing your bags for the day while sightseeing would get you extra time until a run to LGA.

Saturday is the slowest & fewest # of flights at LGA and by early evening, mostly arrivals so checking in & going thru TSA should not be bad, as long as you don't run into the nearby Mets baseball fans heading to CitiField for an evening game ... construction activities off the parkway & into the airport from the service roadway & closure, etc. should not be too bad, weather permitting. Your local friends should know as much as I do.

Surely, others will pitch in should I overlooked something. Enjoy your cruise & your time/visit in NYC.

One more question. I have read car services in NYC are sometimes a better option. I understand they may be slightly more expensive, but not too much more.

Any suggestions?

One more question. I have read car services in NYC are sometimes a better option. I understand they may be slightly more expensive, but not too much more.

Any suggestions?

We recommend using Dial7 or Carmellimo.