Best time to cruise the Caribbean

daxiedoo

I’m normally cruising Caribbean in winter and spring when weather is not that good at home. Nice all year round however avoid the hurricane season, which runs from June through September 30.

I like eastern and southern Caribbean and do not like western.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To clarify, hurricane season is June through November, not September 30. But that only means that is the time of the year when conditions are favorable for storms to develop, not a guarantee that they will. That being said, the winter months are good regarding the change from the northern US climate during that time.

Also be aware that prices with typically be higher in the summer months and Holidays during the year as this is when most families have the opportunity to cruise.

As to itinerary, if you have never been to the Caribbean, all of it is good to see at some time and each general region - eastern, western, southern - has good destinations to offer. But our favorite tends to be the southern which, depending on itinerary, will typically include St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados -or- Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire.

Note that due to their distance south most of the 7 night southern itineraries will depart from San Juan, PR, while most 7 night eastern and western will depart from FL. Those southern itineraries that depart from FL typically are 9 night or longer.

Enjoy your cruise, which ever itinerary you choose.

The Caribbean is lovely year round....If you are cruising during "hurricane season", doing the southern Caribbean really lessens the chance of your cruise rerouting due to storm.....hurricanes are rare in the southern part of the Caribbean. Note I said "rare"....not impossible!

Not sure where you are from, but I live in New England and while some people like to get away in the winter, I will not book then because I do not like to fly when flights can be cancelled because of blizzards. You could miss your cruise or be unable to get back home when you need to. My favorite month is May....prices are better than summer, weather is usually good and kids are still in school, so not as crowded. I have done 11 in May....2 in April and.3 in June with grandchildren, 2 in Aug. and one in Oct. Fall is the cheapest but also the worst for weather, would not do one again. My favorite itinerary is the southern route from San Juan also, but have done them all. I think that you will enjoy your 1st cruise no matter where you go.....the ships are amazing and you may get addicted like a lot of us.........Happy sails

I’ll second Pattycake. Unless you’re flying in from the near south, or driving, I wouldn’t risk flying to a time-sensitive destination in the middle of winter. April may be pushing it. Our last cruise was in April, and the day we fly down, we had snow. Not enough to cancel; however our flight from Cincinnati to Baltimore was delayed. Just enough that we had to run to catch our connecting flight from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale.

May is nice. Late October is also nice too. I know that’s technically still hurricane season, but hurricanes past around October 15 are relatively rare.

Living in the Philly area I understand the concerns for flight issues to the south for a cruise. But if you can schedule your flight for the day before that would be one way to mitigate that risk. I realize flights can also be affected the day before as well but at least you have provided an extra day of options to still make your cruise.

That being said we cruise frequently in the winter months and often due to personal schedule constraints, have left day of departure. Before anyone responds, I know, everyone would never do that. But sometimes it can't be helped. I guess we have been lucky, but we have not yet had the weather impact our ability to leave on time in order to make our cruise. We don't allow that concern to interfere with an itinerary if it is one we want or is the best time with our schedules to go. Getting travel insurance is a good bet as well.

Of course there is a chance of weather delaying flights in the winter. But winter is when I most want to get out of the northeast - so it is a matter of building in a couple of extra days - if planned flight is delayed/cancelled, it is a virtual certainty you will get there the next, or following, day. If no flight delay, you will have extra time in embarkation port, and away from winter.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my cruise question, I am from Scotland and only have a few cruises under my belt, I’m looking for a special kind of cruise to do for our 25th anniversary, I don’t want to be on a ship with thousands of theta, that strikes me as being too vast and too many people, a nice romantic cruise on a medium sized ship would be just the ticket :hearteyes:

Thank you to everyone who replied to my cruise question, I am from Scotland and only have a few cruises under my belt, I’m looking for a special kind of cruise to do for our 25th anniversary, I don’t want to be on a ship with thousands of theta, that strikes me as being too vast and too many people, a nice romantic cruise on a medium sized ship would be just the ticket :hearteyes:

Take a peak at Celebrity, Equinox. Elegant ship, great staff and service. The ABC Islands are incredible ....our favorite.

Take a peak at Celebrity, Equinox. Elegant ship, great staff and service. The ABC Islands are incredible ....our favorite.

I agree ABC islands are wonderful. I love Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire as cruise ports. They rarely get hit by hurricanes as they are a bit out of the zone'.

I have sailedgthe Carfibbean every month of the year and would return for any. Summer is very humid but the temperatures do not vary from most of the rest of the year. hUMIDITY IS MUCH Higher in summer.

Check out Windstar. Maximum ship size is 300 and ships have drop down water sports platforms. They also stop at some smaller less crowded ports. The sailing ships are romantic but the motor yachts are nice too with huge standard cabins. All have great service.