Excursions- Need Advice on Bringing Food off Ship

KnitnCruz

I certainly didn’t agree with putting the dogs down, but did agree with stopping him from bringing them in.

No they didn’t put the dogs down but he still had to go to court

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Read about this "apple" mistake.
I once flew into the US at Logan Airport after an international flight. A woman next to me at the baggage carousel was “marked” by a beagle and handler. She’d forgotten she had an apple in her carry-on. She was carried off by officials. Don’t know what happened but she did not look happy.

Mrs Gut has been alerted to a few times, by those cute little puppies, never had anything other than once there was a end of a banana peel.

Her bag has fruit in it everyday at home, and often on a cruise to take back to the cabin from the buffet.

I think she dies it on purpose so she can get her puppy fix.

I once flew into the US at Logan Airport after an international flight. A woman next to me at the baggage carousel was “marked” by a beagle and handler. She’d forgotten she had an apple in her carry-on. She was carried off by officials. Don’t know what happened but she did not look happy.

We witnessed a similar case at Miami International waiting at the luggage carousel after the Princess charter flight from Manaus, Brazil. An elderly couple (late 80s at least) were also waiting when a beagle came up and sat next to the husband. He looked thoroughly confused but the agent handled the incident very well speaking in a soft voice and asking about fruit or other foods. He let her look through his carry-on and she discovefred an orange which he surrendered to her without any issue. Meanwhile the wife was oblivious and was trying to pet the beagle's stomach (who seemed to be enjoying the attention more than a well trained dog should have :D). The agent took the orange and wished the couple a pleasant onward journey but I did wonder about whether they should have been traveling on their own...

they should have been stopped and fined and they wouldnt do it again

They were on a European cruise. Rules are different there. There are open borders between EU countries, foodstuffs flow freely, the ship would have been provisioned in Europe. Folks from Europe will tell you it is not a problem. EM

Alaska allows people to take off PB & J sandwiches so they're not that restrictive. Possibly cookies & cereal are another option which would get him through the day.

All the examples people cite are at airports. Over and over.

Personally, I have never see any inspection disembarking a ship at an alaskan port of call.

Of course, I would never bring anything ashore, just like I observe all posted speed limits..

All the examples people cite are at airports. Over and over.

Personally, I have never see any inspection disembarking a ship at an alaskan port of call.

Of course, I would never bring anything ashore, just like I observe all posted speed limits.

Don't we all. :evilsmile:

Pam, We flew into Logan Terminal E a week ago, from LHR and while waiting for our luggage to spill onto the Carousel I saw a cute beagle jumping onto the luggage. The dog then hopped off and sat next to a passenger who was immediately approached by a customs officer who took him aside and told the man to empty his pocket - he had an orange in his jacket pocket. The passenger was shouting out to his wife and child as he was being taken to an adjacent room.

My mom was diabetic and in all her travel, never took unsealed food ashore. She packed sealed protein bars and blood sugar tablets when on extended shore tours.

Yes, I have seen dogs in port of entry when claiming baggage. Some times, I have seen locals warning passengers disembarking at ports to drop their contraband into a container before they got to the end of the gangway. Lots of signs to that effect while approaching passport control as one exits the ship in Ft Lauderale.

When so called "travel experts" such as Rick Steves advocate taking food off the ship to save a few dollars, they are doing harm to both the naive traveling public and the local flora/fauna/food growing industry.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

I truly believe that most of the time, the people who are stopped at the airport (and rarely cruise disembarkations) are either ignorant of the regulation or simply forgetful (as I was with my leftover grapes). I don't think they are malicious in trying to bring in stuff. How it is handled seems to be in part dependent upon the individual officer involved.

But if you are aware and are planning in advance....plan to follow the rules. Yes, you could possibly "scoot thru" with no issue. Or you could incur a fat fine.

Thanks everyone. I didn’t want to break any rules, which is why I asked in advance. I figured we could bring some protein bars if it wasn’t permitted to bring food off the ship. I wanted to have a plan in place ahead of time!

I appreciate all the great input.

Happy cruising!

My brother tried to take a banana off at one of the Alaskan ports. They told him to eat it or dump in one of the already filled garbage cans. Maybe he was unlucky and our ship's passengers were facing a special inspection but I know that the warning against fruit, meat, etc. appeared in every port day Patter on both our Alaska cruises.

Alaska allows people to take off PB & J sandwiches so they're not that restrictive. Possibly cookies & cereal are another option which would get him through the day.

I have seen people be asked to finish or throw away their COFFEE before disembarking in Alaska. If you can't take a cup of coffee of the ship, I doubt they will allow PB&J. Just because you didn't get caught, doesn't mean it is okay.

I have seen people be asked to finish or throw away their COFFEE before disembarking in Alaska. If you can't take a cup of coffee of the ship, I doubt they will allow PB&J. Just because you didn't get caught, doesn't mean it is okay.

I think the cup of coffee is not allowed because too many people spill it when leaving the ship.

My Daughter has Type one diabetes and we always take cereal bars/ glucose tablets and a sugary drink. If we are out all day we would have a light lunch or buy a snack. Your never far from a McDonald’s lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HAL even prepares your sandwich for you.

I've never seen anyone stopped in Alaska' date=' but I've seen trash bins with large signs telling people of the fines for bringing in fruit and suggesting that they dispose of it now.[/quote']

Fruit is one thing but a PB&J or cake and crackers is totally different.

I have type-1 diabetes (insulin pump) and have cruised Alaska twice. My bag always has a load of pre-packaged snacks/bars, but that's not the OPs question.what the OP is asking about.

NO, I've never seen sniffer-dogs at Alaska's ports. YES, I have taken ship-food ashore, but only PB&J or cheese (processed foods), crackers or cookies.

I do NOT take fresh fruit or meats... That's the biologic issue, that fresh fruits/veggies and some meats (rare, sushi) might have seeds or insects that could impact their environment. Processed foods, including cheese, have been heat treated to kill anything living, so that there's no risk of critters.

Coffee gets treated like other open-containers, and the ship can't allow 'open containers' of alcohol carried ashore, or negotiate whether that fruit infusing your water is OK or not. And, if you believe "Beverly Hills Cop", the bad guys used coffee grounds to mask the smell of smuggled drugs.

Ultimately, with or without the influence of movies from the 80s, it's easier to enforce a universal 'no food/drinks' policy than it is to spell out all the conditions that make one item 'safer' than another.

Edited by Sue Do-Over

I'm similar to the OP, dealing with a new diagnosed case of diabetes (type 2) so I have to watch carbs and sugars, which pretty much every packaged food is full of. This is good info to have.

This is what I would try to do.

I would get off the ship earlier that need fro your tour. Then I would find a local store and buy some food to take on the tour. Then I would go to the place to meet the tour.

You can look a Goggle maps,(use street view) at the port area and look to see what food store are there. Then you can buy what is need.

Thanks everyone. I didn’t want to break any rules, which is why I asked in advance. I figured we could bring some protein bars if it wasn’t permitted to bring food off the ship. I wanted to have a plan in place ahead of time!

I appreciate all the great input.

We have traveled in some of the most food-restrictive places on the planet and have never been stopped with pre-packaged food. We’ve even taken things like pre-packaged meats and stews into countries and been waved through inspection. I am unfamiliar with diabetic needs but know there are some diabetic protein bars and drinks on the market and packaged fruit (such as mandarin oranges) in single serve containers.

I know about the coffee because my wife was busted trying to take her coffee off of the ship in Hawaii. She had no idea it wasn't allowed. We just don't take anything off other than a bottle of water. If we can afford to cruise we can afford to eat on shore if we need to do so. In the case of the diabetic husband of the OP it sounds as if they will be taking protein bars or something of that sort so they will be fine. It was smart of her to have asked the question.

With all the rules and regulations, simplest is best. Don’t....

Best advice ever!

Never mind what that the Patter prints...

Never mind what the CD announces...

Never mind what the hosting city requires...

Even taking into consideration that the food that you take off the ship may become compromised, you get sick, and blame Princess...

Don't take buffet food off the ship.

Be prepared with pre-packaged foods that you brought from home.

This is what I would try to do.

I would get off the ship earlier that need fro your tour. Then I would find a local store and buy some food to take on the tour. Then I would go to the place to meet the tour.

You can look a Goggle maps,(use street view) at the port area and look to see what food store are there. Then you can buy what is need.

This will work, but there is no reason to go to this effort. Bring a box of individually wrapped protein bars in your luggage. Use as needed.