China “transit without visa” fiasco for Shanghai cruises

Kiwi_rua

China doesn't actually care about that - "immigration". They care that you come from Country A, into China (country B) and depart within the specified time to Country C. HKG-PVG-Okinawa (if I'm understanding?) is acceptable for TWOV, as long as you have one of the eligible passports.

They don't care whether you've visited a country? News to me. Do you have anything to support that?

The traveller is coming from Japan, going through China, and back to Japan. Without clearing immigration they haven't actually gone to any different country that changes that.

If you go to HK then you are fine as HK is considered a different country.

It is classed as a different country, but the traveller has still not indicated they are visiting that country, rather than just taking a connecting flight through there. That is not the same thing.

They don't care whether you've visited a country? News to me. Do you have anything to support that?

The traveller is coming from Japan, going through China, and back to Japan. Without clearing immigration they haven't actually gone to any different country that changes that.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Japan-China-Japan clearly does not qualify. It does not matter if you "visited" the country or not. If the plane arrives from Japan or goes to Japan directly, whether you get off or not, it is Japan that matters.

Hi there, hoping to get some information from those recently back from cruises departing and returned from/to Shanghai with ports of call in Japan only. As US citizens, it appears we should be eligible for a 144 hour free visa for China since we're flying from the US to Shanghai and then leaving on the cruise to Japan within the 144 hour window. And then coming back entering Shanghai from Japan on the ship and departing on a flight that day back to the US. Does anyone have experience to share? Also, I assume we don't need Japanese visas (all ports of call are in Japan) in advance since tourist visas should be provided at the ports of call, correct? thanks in advance your any insight!

One thing to be mindful of is that I've read you can't return to Shanghai within the initial 144 hour window. Depending on your initial arrival, and the length of the cruise, that may affect you so you should check further if it applies to you.

Aside from that, it sounds fine.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Japan-China-Japan clearly does not qualify. It does not matter if you "visited" the country or not. If the plane arrives from Japan or goes to Japan directly, whether you get off or not, it is Japan that matters.

My reply was to hoyaheel who declared that China do not care about whether you visited a country or not, as can be seen by the quote.

I stated that Japan-China-Japan does not qualify so the rest of your statement agrees with what I wrote.

One thing to be mindful of is that I've read you can't return to Shanghai within the initial 144 hour window. Depending on your initial arrival, and the length of the cruise, that may affect you so you should check further if it applies to you.

Aside from that, it sounds fine.

Where did you read this? Multiple reports on various forums of travelers using the exemption multiple times.

Where did you read this? Multiple reports on various forums of travelers using the exemption multiple times.

Please read better. I didn't say you couldn't use it multiple times and in fact, confirmed the opposite. The statement was you couldn't re-enter during the original 144 hour period. There's no issue if he re-enters after that period.

Timatic, the official rules that airlines use to decide if they'll allow you to board a flight. Their official rules for visas say nothing about passport stamps or whatever else you're saying they care about. China immigration cares about your ticketed travel.

I follow this topic avidly on flyertalk and keep up with all the visa & TWOV discussions between people who do this on a regular basis.

• 1 month later...

[hi

We are going from uk in April

U.K. Out to shanghai

Stay 3 days shanghai

Then join quantum of the seas for 7 nights cruise to Japan (Kobe and naroyna

Then stay 1 night shanghai before flying back to U.K.

Am I correct in saying we will not need a visa with the new 144 rules etc ?

Any advice appreciated

quote=Hoyaheel;54905434]Timatic, the official rules that airlines use to decide if they'll allow you to board a flight. Their official rules for visas say nothing about passport stamps or whatever else you're saying they care about. China immigration cares about your ticketed travel.

I follow this topic avidly on flyertalk and keep up with all the visa & TWOV discussions between people who do this on a regular basis.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had any trouble boarding a flight to China using this visa exemption? I wonder how many airline employees are familiar with it as it applies to cruise passengers. It is their job to ensure all passengers boarding flights have appropriate entry visas and I wonder if the timatic rules are clear or if people are being denied boarding due to lack of visa.

• 1 month later...

We are flying from USA to Shanghai, spending 3 days & then board a cruise ship with 1st stop in Okinawa, so we qualify for the 144 hr visa. My question is if we board the cruise ship, would we be able to get back off to go back into Shanghai since the ship leaves late? We were thinking about dumping our luggage & take shuttle back to city center.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are flying from USA to Shanghai, spending 3 days & then board a cruise ship with 1st stop in Okinawa, so we qualify for the 144 hr visa. My question is if we board the cruise ship, would we be able to get back off to go back into Shanghai since the ship leaves late? We were thinking about dumping our luggage & take shuttle back to city center.

I don't think so. You clear immigration to depart who check/collect your visa and there's no provision for people to go back.

Further, there's normally no shuttle to the city (unless your cruise line has something special?). It's at least an hour to take the trip to the station, then metro to the city centre.

You could go back after you drop off your luggage, but since you've gone all that way I don't think anyone feels like heading back at that point.

Sorry I'm so confused. I asked my travel agent and she didn't know what I was talking about.

My cruise is a little different to what was mentioned above. I fly in to Singapore for a few days then cruise to Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong (2 days at sea) then disembark in Shanghai. I'm staying in Shanghai for 3 nights. My flight on the way back to Melbourne has a 5 hour lay over in Hong Kong. Would the 144 hour transit waiver apply to me or will I need to get a visa?

Thanks heaps for your help :):)

Edited by jayde43
needed to add more

Sorry I'm so confused. I asked my travel agent and she didn't know what I was talking about.

My cruise is a little different to what was mentioned above. I fly in to Singapore for a few days then cruise to Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong (2 days at sea) then disembark in Shanghai. I'm staying in Shanghai for 3 nights. My flight on the way back to Melbourne has a 5 hour lay over in Hong Kong. Would the 144 hour transit waiver apply to me or will I need to get a visa?

Thanks heaps for your help :):)

My understanding is that because you enter from Hong Kong, but then your departure flight is not non-stop and goes to Hong Kong again, you would unfortunately not be eligible. You would need to get a visa.

My understanding is that because you enter from Hong Kong, but then your departure flight is not non-stop and goes to Hong Kong again, you would unfortunately not be eligible. You would need to get a visa.

Thanks for your reply.

Get the visa for China. Its simple and easy to get. Also inexpensive.

I also recommend getting it, but I wouldn't call it inexpensive, especially compared to other countries we had to get visas for. If you live near a consulate and can easily take the time off to personally do everything it isn't terrible, but $140 per person is still the most expensive Visa we've had to get (yet)

Our total was closer to $500 for 2 people, but we are over 12 hours away from the nearest consulate, so had to pay a service fee to a company to act on our behalf, plus shipping and the (albeit negligible) cost of extra passport photos for the application.

It may not help your wallet, but the US and the UK charge Chinese citizens about the same for visa in to their respective countries. A sort of tit for tat. It used to be that Chile (and other S.American countries) charged a fee for their visa until the US lowered or eliminated visa fees for their respective countries.

It may not help your wallet, but the US and the UK charge Chinese citizens about the same for visa in to their respective countries. A sort of tit for tat. It used to be that Chile (and other S.American countries) charged a fee for their visa until the US lowered or eliminated visa fees for their respective countries.
Absolutely. And there are many MORE Chinese tourists paying the same exorbitant fees.

While China charges some countries between $0--30 for the Chinese visa

Yup, in most cases the US jacks them the same amount and did it first. I find it humorous that Brazil calls it what it is, a reciprocity fee. US is going to charge Brazilians, they are going to reciprocate. ;p

My husband and I are flying into Shanghai on February 28th for a March 3rd sailing on the HAL Westerdam. The ship boards on March 3rd, but doesn't actually sail until March 4th, so we've booked a Shanghai shore excursion during the day on March 4th. If we did the 144-hour TWOV, would we still be able to get back off the ship on March 4th to go on our ship-sponsored shore excursion, or would this excursion invoke the need for a formal visa?

I'm totally comfortable canceling the shore excursion if that's the only thing keeping us from doing the 144-hour TWOV.

We fly from LA to Shanghai directly, then board in Shanghai, sail to Busan, South Korea next, then 3 ports in Taiwan, 3 ports in Japan, Manila, then disembark in Hong Kong on March 17th, and fly home on March 19th.

Has anyone done this? I'd love to save $500, if possible, but also don't want to ruin the trip with an avoidable mistake.

Thanks!