Wine glasses in cabin?

Eveglos

Its our first cruise this weekend- just wondering if there are glasses / flutes in our cabin to enable us to enjoy the 1l bottle of wine and fizz we will each bring on board?

If not,it will have to be a quick visit to the Pound shop for some plastic ones!!

Thanks all

Eve

It may depend on the cabin assigned but I've never known a ship's cabin to not be complete with at least one set of beverage glasses. I know that the suite is fully stocked with several types and sizes of glassware with both ice and wine buckets plus cork screw.

Have to say that on our last cruise our steward was reluctant to get us wine glasses. We just ordered two glasses of wine from one of the bars and took them back to the cabin. Just made sure to hide the empty glases so the steward would not take them away. No need to visit the Pound shop!.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Just go straight to any of the bars and ask for two empty glasses of each including port glasses if needed , of what ever you need and they will supply and then just tell the cabin steward to leave them in the room and you wash them up , never had a problem asking bar staff enjoy your cruise

We always used to ask the cabin steward for glasses but last summer he told us that he could no longer get them and rang room service for them and they were delivered promptly. On the 2 cruises that we have done since we have just call room service ourselves.

We always used to ask the cabin steward for glasses but last summer he told us that he could no longer get them and rang room service for them and they were delivered promptly. On the 2 cruises that we have done since we have just call room service ourselves.

This resonates with me. Only in my case it was lemon slices. Always requested and supplied by the Cabin Steward. On my last cruise he said I needed to contact room service.

We always ask for wine glasses, no problem. If a steward 'was reluctant' to get them, he/she would not get an 'excellent' on the questionnaire at the end of the cruise.
As has been mentioned in later posts, it appears that the steward no longer has the authority to get glasses from the bars. Some edict from on high - although to what purpose !

I was certainly not going to mark him down for something over which he has no control.

Perhaps this might be a lesson for all of us here - what we ask our stewards to do, may not always be what HO wants them to do. Do not prejudge, because your steward will suffer, through no fault off their own.

It makes me think that this is to do with the change in the policy of bringing your own alcohol on board. After all wine glasses, ice and lemons are all associated with drinking alcohol in the cabin, which they are trying to discourage.

We always ask for wine glasses, no problem. If a steward 'was reluctant' to get them, he/she would not get an 'excellent' on the questionnaire at the end of the cruise.

I would first establish whether this part of their job before marking them down. One way is to ask at guest services whether cabin stewards are able to provide glasses on request.

I would first establish whether this part of their job before marking them down. One way is to ask at guest services whether cabin stewards are able to provide glasses on request.
Exactly. Stewards are there to help, but are not your slaves. To mark a steward down for something which is beyond his remit is bad form, and adversely affects the steward's income.

Exactly. Stewards are there to help, but are not your slaves. To mark a steward down for something which is beyond his remit is bad form, and adversely affects the steward's income.

While I agree re the not marking down if it is beyond their remit how does the customer know?

If for the last xxx years there has been no problem getting wine glasses, ice, lemon etc and all of a sudden it’s an issue then pax will unfortunately assume that they have an unhelpful CS the first time this happens. The next time the penny might drop that it’s a change in P&O policy.

I will now be aware that this is likely to happen as I have read it on here but otherwise if I am honest I would have assumed the CS was just being less than helpful. Not many people read these boards.

Its our first cruise this weekend- just wondering if there are glasses / flutes in our cabin to enable us to enjoy the 1l bottle of wine and fizz we will each bring on board?

If not,it will have to be a quick visit to the Pound shop for some plastic ones!!

Thanks all

Eve

The cabin steward will bring you some if you ask, along with ice and lemon if required.

Oops appears that isn't the case now.

Edited by stocktonmackem
not finished.

Bearing in mind this is our first cruise and we are happy to pay autogratuitues, assuming we get our glasses etc from room service-is it the norm to tip whoever brings it?

Thanks

Eve

Bearing in mind this is our first cruise and we are happy to pay autogratuitues, assuming we get our glasses etc from room service-is it the norm to tip whoever brings it?

Thanks

Eve

No real need to from room service, but if your steward brings them, a couple of pounds would be a nice gesture.

Room service is the number to dial for most things like Specialty Teas, Milk , Wine Glasses. But if you need anything extra placed in cabin ask your Cabin Steward. You can ask your Cabin Steward for Ice.