Change in wine policy?

Cruise Junky

Or is Cruise Critic confused?

This is from the cruise critic overview of Connie

All of the dining venues offer their own selection of mostly American and European wines on a list that runs from $25 on up. There are also a few trophy wines like a bottle of Screaming Eagle ($1,000-plus). Sommeliers assigned to each table can be very helpful in selecting wines suited to your palate and pocketbook. If you plan on drinking wine most evenings, one of the wine packages can save you money. Service will save partially consumed wine bottles for your next dinner or lunch. As of now, passengers are no longer limited to bringing only two bottles of wine onboard for consumption during the cruise. Keep in mind that there is a $25 per bottle corkage fee to drink your own bottles in the dining room or any public spaces.

Or is Cruise Critic confused?

This is from the cruise critic overview of Connie

All of the dining venues offer their own selection of mostly American and European wines on a list that runs from $25 on up. There are also a few trophy wines like a bottle of Screaming Eagle ($1,000-plus). Sommeliers assigned to each table can be very helpful in selecting wines suited to your palate and pocketbook. If you plan on drinking wine most evenings, one of the wine packages can save you money. Service will save partially consumed wine bottles for your next dinner or lunch. As of now, passengers are no longer limited to bringing only two bottles of wine onboard for consumption during the cruise. Keep in mind that there is a $25 per bottle corkage fee to drink your own bottles in the dining room or any public spaces.

When was this overview first posted? First I've heard of this.:confused:

Haven’t heard anything, but with so many having packages would make sense; gives passengers who like specific wines flexibility to bring them and saves Celebrity $$$ (assuming these passengers have packages) - would be nice to see corkage waived if you have a classic or higher alcohol beverage pack.

I am not crazy about the by-the-glass wines available, but when I have a package I make do rather than buy bottles; would be a win-win if I could bring on as many bottles as I like and consume them corkage free.

The Celebrity website says 2 bottles of wine.

Yup, as of a few minutes ago they still restrict you to 2 bottles of wine at embarkation only.

"Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when guests are permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per stateroom."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/before-you-board

Alas, I think someone at Cruise Critic got confused. There is no evidence that the policy has changed, and no one I spoke to at Celebrity had heard of any changes that might not yet have made it to the website.

I feared that but live in eternal hope ;)

I think that the OP may be making the remark that X offers many choices of wine and because of that passengers aren’t limited to drinking just the two bottles that they bring on board.

The part of a sommelier being assigned to each table is also rather dramatic. I wonder if the person actually sailed on a cruise or if the review is from a staff writer that wrote it to provide a overview for the website. I have read a few that give a discription of the ship and wonder if they were ever on it.

It would be the same as someone writing a overview of the Edge right now for a website and never changing it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We recently cruised Eclipse Transatlantic. We purchased 2 bottles of wine while ashore in the Azores and were directed to a Celebrity employee by the bag check people when re boarding the ship. He said he was only checking for liquor and that wine was ok.

I think that the OP may be making the remark that X offers many choices of wine and because of that passengers aren’t limited to drinking just the two bottles that they bring on board.

It doesn't read like that at all though.

I think it's a mistake. I can't see Celebrity allowing guests to suddenly bring on what they want. Storage for one thing.

Phil

The phrase “from now on”implies that this is a change to previous policy, but I agree, it’s a Cruise Critic error. It would be nice if someone from Cruise Critic would chime in. Who wrote that overview? Where did they get the information?