All Things EARTH... part 2

Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:22 AM.
North Carolina
4,198 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I don't have a buff...but I have a Boho Bandeau, which is functionally similar:

https://www.naturallife.com/accessor...-bandeaus.html

I think the Buff fabric talks about wicking and so might have even more functionality beyond "fashion". I like the Bandeau. I've worn it mostly as a head band...but I'm seeing new uses for it. I don't recall how loose it is for scarf usage...but we've streamed Running Wild on NBC, and on the Keri Russell Episode, she was wearing a typical bandana as a sort of scarf...almost western like with the big triangle part in front and it dawned on me that it was sun protection for her chest (she was wearing a tank) and I thought how smart is that? And now you've reminded me that I have a bandeau thing that I can try to see if it has the right shape to offer some chest sun protection!

I'm wearing one of my new leggings today and the verdict is that the knees aren't stretching or bagging out of shape. So big thumbs up on these inexpensive leggings again. We'll see how they wash...

Yay! for finding pants that still fit!

I'm so excited for you Sally! Cuba is right around the corner!

We're filing in the odds and ends that we need for Alaska. We got an idea for a new stove style from watching that show! Ordered that. Now we don't need to pick up any sort of fuel in Alaska for cooking while we are camping! Yeah!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Some people celebrate their 20th anniversary...
But we know the real party is at 21 years!!!
North Carolina
4,198 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Oh! Super cute photos Laurie. I like seeing your happy family.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Colorado Springs, CO (originally Boston MA)
4,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sally, Cuba around the corner!

I have several Buffs, but I really don’t like them. I find they hold heat in & that’s not what is needed in Africa

Well, our hailstorm did considerable damage. We have a roofer coming for an estimate (yup, lots of damage)
This was a very little bit of the damage. Shredded all the trees & plants . Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S.S. Norway, March 17, 1995
Rest all Celebrity or Royal
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Constellation, Feb 22, 2006
Constellation, Feb 14, 2010
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Constellation, Mar 24, 2012
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Navigator of the Seas, Nov 30, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Nov 13, 2015
Celebrity Solstice, Apr 26, 2015
Liberty of the Seas, Apr 23 & 30, 2017
Eclipse, November 26, 2017
Eclipse, September 22, 2019 (50th Anniversary Cruise)
Reflection, February 21, 2020 (Mardi Gras)
Reflection, March 2, 2020
Les & Melody
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,519 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
I have never worn anything like that on my head, mostly due to hearing aids. They do this squealing thing when you apply pressure to them. That is why I don't wear hats too.

I see a lot of people wear these or something similar at the gym or when jogging. What catches moby attention is that they seem to stay put. I never see anyone readjusting them.

Melody, that was quite a storm you had. We had some rain off and on yesterday and so far today. But no hail!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

Explorer of the Seas - August 2008
Explorer of the Seas - August 2009
Monarch of the Seas - May 2011
Freedom of the Seas - February 2013
Majesty of the Seas - November 2013
Freedom of the Seas - May 2014
Enchantment of the Seas - November 2014
Jewel of the Seas - May 2015
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2016
Allure of the Seas - June 2016
Brilliance of the Seas - February 2017
Adventure of the Seas - September 2017
Freedom of the Seas - April 2018
2,610 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Melody, your poor yard. Sorry for mr. turtle.

Thanks for feedback about the buff. I was concerned it might be too hot, regardless of what the website says. I think I'll go with a bandana. I don't generally like covering up that part of my body, it makes me uncomfortable, but I'll need something for when it's dusty.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2017 Ruby Princess Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortez
2016 Windstar Costa Rica & Panama Canal
2015 Emerald Princess Western Caribbean
2014 Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean
2012 Dawn Princess Australia Solar Eclipse
2011 NG Islander Galapagos & Machu Picchu
2010 Windstar Costa Rica
2009 Victoria Prince Yangtze River Solar Eclipse
2006 Clipper Odyssey Vietnam
2004 Radisson Diamond Turkey & Greek Isles Transit of Venus
2002 Radisson Hanseatic Antarctica & South Georgia
2001 Windstar Virgin Islands
1999 Sky Princess Baltic Sea Solar Eclipse
1998 Radisson Paul Gauguin Tahiti
1996 Star Princess Alaska
4,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Margaret when I did the merchandise for Pikes Peak Marathon we did buffs one year, they didn’t sell well. Those that did buy them seemed to like them, almost everyone used them as a headband. I like bandannas, very versatile

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Les & Melody
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,519 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Margaret, maybe you can get an inexpensive one to try out.

Whatever virus it is that I have seems to want to linger. Im still achy with swollen glands. I hope it goes away soon!

I'm so excited for everyone's trips - Cuba, Alaska and Africa! I think I mentioned I'm doing a Canada New England cruise next year. Weare all doing some neat, different things.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

North Carolina
4,198 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Melody...WOW...That is SOME hail! It reminds me of hearing about dramatic discounts at the car dealerships due to hail damage. i've been around hail but have never experienced that kind of damage first hand...I've been in storms that have caused similar damage to vegetation and it is so sad...so sad to see the abrupt change that is as if time lapse has occurred overnight to effect change that should have taken weeks, if not months...

I'm so sad for the turtle. It's weird but my family has owned things like that in the past...sculpture and stuff that you can ascribe a personality too. A little a la KonMari. Mom has the happiest, fattest pig with the biggest pot belly and he sits sits a la a typical teddy bear and wears the hugest grin. I swear...we might have to bury him if he were to receive similar hail damage. RIP turtle...

We went to see the opera "I Dream" today. It is said to portray the final 36 hours of Martin Luther King Jrs life. That's a bit of a fallacy as he is portrayed as having a recurring dream that recounts significant moments in his life as well as a bit of a portent regarding his death. So the opera isn't limited to the final 36 hours...as those hours include some flashbacks. This is a modern opera..as Cyrano was a modern opera and also Silent Night is a modern opera. I LOVE Silent Night...I can't recommend it enough. I would see it year after year if I could. Melody, we talked about Cyrano....not impressed.

I Dream reminded me in part of Les Miserables. DS says that has to do with the way that the orchestra was used. I believe that it has to do in part with the revolutionary aspect of the story line and something about the way that the songs were portrayed...the conviction of the singer in the face of injustice. DS says that I Dream is a period piece...all the music reflects the time period of the events portrayed. So, for an opera, we're talking about a very jazzy production. There are pieces that definitely work out the operatic vocals but all at the same time...this is Motown and jazz meets opera. DS says that this is opera in the way that the Pirates of Penzance and Les Mis are opera...and I would say that this is more Les Mis that Pirates...but I see where he's coming from.

I asked DS what he thought of the fact that it was amplified, something that classic definitely is NOT. He said that it was just further in keeping with the fact that it was a period piece and totally appropriate.

I enjoyed the storyline...something that I had learned before the opera was that King had renounced his I had a dream speech before his death...so I was very prepared to see the torn King that was portrayed in this production. Interestingly enough, the composer is an Englishman. Someone who was a barrister for more than a decade...he happened to be in attendance for our performance.

I went through the whole closet ransack in trying to decide what to wear. It's difficult when the high will be 86 but you know there will be AC to deal with. I'm in a serious debate with myself as to whether or not I should just get rid of clothing that I rejected as I went through the whole try on but reject process of getting ready today. Ultimately, I decided to wear my new short sleeved bamboo dress with my new leggings. It was perfect temperature wise...not sure how perfect in appearance:

I was wearing those tan sandals of mine I have shown before. This is an outfit that I anticipate bringing to Alaska. I'll have to share the necklace at a different time. You need to see a close up to appreciate it. Funny what that little line can do to break up that space created by the crew neck. I look at the picture and I think that these leggings remind me of tattoo arm sleeves but on the legs! I was having a very good time people watching. I LOVE people watching. And let me just say...there was EXCELLENT people watching at this opera of King on a Sunday in the south. I saw some of the best hats and hair pieces. I had to google fascinator to show DH what that was because of the people watching.

I'm so excited for Alaska...I can hardly stand it. Our new camping stoves arrived today. They are wood burning, so we don't need to purchase fuel. AWESOME!!!

Also...several shipments coming this week. I'm most excited for Tuesday when our new wedding rings will arrive. I think I have mentioned before how DH and I don't travel with precious jewelry...and how in general, I don't wear too much jewelry because I feel it gets in the way. Well, I've been wanting silicone rings for the longest time. And we finally ordered some with the Mother's Day sale. They should come Tuesday. So DH and I will be "married" on our Alaska cruise...and maybe even more often now that we have the safety rings. I'm so excited to see them!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2,610 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Just a quickie heads up, this nice skort is on sale:

https://www.columbia.com/womens-bryc...ze=96&start=74
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica
2004 Radisson Diamond Turkey & Greek Isles Transit of Venus
2002 Radisson Hanseatic Antarctica & South Georgia
2001 Windstar Virgin Islands
1999 Sky Princess Baltic Sea Solar Eclipse
1998 Radisson Paul Gauguin Tahiti
1996 Star Princess Alaska
1,314 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by Anita Latte
I had worn my new bamboo dress to the movies and got movie butter splatters all over it. I went straight to the store and bought an OxyClean foam product with grease cutters and all that oil stain came right out. I'm so happy it did...I have several shirts with those oil stains...and nothing I've used before has ever really worked to get them out.
I'm glad the OxyClean worked. If it doesn't work on the set in stains on the older shirts you might want to try Dawn. I discovered years ago that it works well for my family at getting grease stains out, even on set in stains.

Congrats on the new rings too

Laurie - Happy Belated Birthday! Hoping you feel well soon.

Melody - Sorry about your storm damage
Florida
2,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Anita , That dress is really cute with those leggings . It is a perfect Anita outfit .

Laurie , I also had that thing but I ended up getting antibiotics and that knocked it out of me pretty quick .I have been getting us ready for Cuba . I am taking mostly longer shorts and print tees sine the Cuba trips do not have formal nights I expect it to be very casual on the ship .I did pack two sundresses and pants and a top.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
38 cruises -Carnival , NCL, RCL, Celebrity ,Costa
4,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Anita, I really like that dress & leggings on you. Remind me the brand of your sandals, I tried on similar ones at DSW but the zipper at the heel bugged me. I wear a silicone ring when I’m in the water, if I lose it I don’t have a lot invested

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Les & Melody
North Carolina
4,198 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
These are my sandals. Some reviewers had issue with where the buckle would rest on their ankle area...I don't though, so it's a test out and see if it bothers you. These are so very comfortable. Great walking sandal...I really appreciate the way the wide straps embrace my feet.

https://www.sofftshoe.com/Womens/All...SABEgJkOPD_BwE
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Thanks Anita, the ones I tried on weren’t Sofft brand. I’ll go to Dillard’s, they carry Sofft. I like the Platino color & black. Melody

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Les & Melody
Camillus, NY (Syracuse)
3,519 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Melody, we have hail from time to time. As it turns out, you can have a major hail storm and a mile away, there may be nothing. About 4 years ago, I left work early to pick up my dog from the vet. I could see some pretty ominous looking clouds in my rearview mirror. We got home just in time to get in the house, and the storm hit. long story short, $2500.00 of damage to my car. That was after I paid my insurance deductible!

Margaret, I love skorts. I have been wearing the ones from Eddie Bauer for a long time now. When I shrunk out of one, I would replace it in a smaller size. I love them that much! I have found that they change the style a little from year to year, but they are generally very much the same. My favorites are my current navy and olive ones. They are a perfect length and fit, a lot like the one you posted the link for. They go on my cruises and I wear them all summer too. The Travex fabric is really great and quick drying, and the one you posted looks very similar fabric wise.

Anita, I have to look up those rings.

I've always worn my rings on a cruise. I guess I don't think about it because I don't take them off. I feel kind of naked without them, lol.

I am feeling better, just not great. I went to the doctor, who said it was likely a virus that was working it's way out of my system. He didn't prescribe anything, but he took blood work because I did have a bug bite I didn't pay close attention to the week before. It was on my scalp and we have more than our share of ticks around here, and Lyme Disease to go with it. It's good that he is being cautious, but I seem to be bouncing back pretty well.

I am so intrigued when you discuss musicals, Anita. I can still hear some, and I used to be able to hear things like that very well. Does it sound strange when I say I can hear it in my head when you describe it? I love that.

As to music I can hear with my hearing aid, have any of you ever watched Aerial America on National Geographic? It is very, very interesting, and the music is incredible. They have a lot of pauses in the talking where there is just music, and I often adjust the volume when the house is quiet so that I can hear it better.

Anita, I think that was a cute outfit to wear! I think that the dress is very versatile, in that it can be worn like a tunic. I'm curious - what would you call the color? It looks very earthy, and I want to call it adobe. But I know that I have seen adobe brick in a number of colors, so that could be misleading. I mention it because it reminds me of one of the colors in the new dress I have.

Pacruise, I forgot to mention when we were talking about that print dress that there is a darker color in there similar to burgundy. It's a color that I struggle with, because the slightest change in lighting can take it from cool to warm, you know? But there some of that in the dress, and it's a nice warm shade. I just love the colors in it.

I feel really good about my summer wardrobe at the moment. As to casual wear, I would like to get a pair of "smart" casual sandals. Not walking sandals or flip flops, something with a microwedge or something like that, that would look nice with things, yet don't have a heel. I used to have a pair I just loved like that, and they broke.

Like always, I'm on the lookout for suits for work, or dress pants in general in good colors. I'm still struggling a lot with that. I found teal pants at Loft Outlet that I tried on, but they were ankle pants and somewhat of a slim fit. Our dress code says you can wear them if they are part of a matching suit, but this wasn't a suit. I also find too that people don't fuss too much if you see a back office person wear something like this, but you still get looks if you are more in view. Isn't that weird? Banking is pretty stodgy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laurie

4,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Well, the hail hit was definitely worse than we thought. We’re looking at over $25K of damage, sigh. We’ll be out about $2.5 to $5K in hail deductibles

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Galaxy, Feb 20, 2001
Solstice Jan 29, 2011
Equinox, Feb 22, 2013
Equinox, Feb 21, 2014
Eclipse, Mar 1, 2015
Les & Melody
North Carolina
4,198 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I have black in the sandals too. The ones with the shimmer. I like that Platino too but I think it might be too light for me. I got gold sandals once, thinking that they would be a great neutral, but I didn't wear them much because I always preferred to wear a more tan color rather than the lighter golden color. Somehow that lighter color looked odd to me with most of my outfits. I gave them to Mom and she wore them out, she wore them so much.

I've got my eye on the Mulberry color which is on sale...thinking that it looks more bronze? And bronze is what I wanted those gold to be for me. I think the gold would be good for you though...especially with all the bright colors you wear.

Our rings came a day early! These are Enzo rings. We ordered the Yeti style before Mother's Day with a 20% off sale:

https://ensorings.com/legends-collection/

btw...I don't love the way my hand looks in this photo! I don't know why it looks so weird! Anyway...Love the rings. It doesn't even feel like I'm wearing a ring. Laurie...I rarely wear my wedding ring...or any jewelry, for that matter, on a regular basis because I'm usually using my hands to do things around the house and I don't wear my ring when I do dishes or cleaning or many other things (packing, unpacking, rearranging furniture). I don't wear it to sleep or to shower. To work out or when we travel to places where we would be active. DH is the same way, so we're both very excited that we're going to be married on our Alaska cruise! (LOL...we call it being married when we actually put our rings on when go "out")

I love that you can hear in your head from my descriptions! I like writing and I count that a great compliment, what you said. I'll look up that show.

It sounds like you feel like you've turned a corner and are on the upswing...even if it's a slight upswing. Being ill and feeling less than normal is not fun at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

North Carolina
4,198 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
OMG Melody! That's the worst kind of spending...unexpected and high. Not fun at all. So sorry that you have to deal with this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2,610 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Melody, that's shocking. We have hail sometimes, but usually no bigger than a grape.

Laurie, I hope you're feeling better. We had that going around campus earlier in the month, and people were out for at least a week. I was washing hands like crazy. Like you, skorts have become a mainstay of my summer wardrobe. They are great in the city for a bit more polished look than shorts, which I mostly only wear to the gym or around the house. At the lake I throw on a skort when we go see friends or to a casual restaurant. Very versatile. I have khaki, blue, and olive green. The khaki ones get the most wear.

I feel naked without my rings on now. I'm planning to buy something cheap to wear to Africa because I will leave my rings at home. When we were engaged, DH said he didn't want to wear a ring (he only ever wore a watch). So I put my engagement ring away and said I wouldn't wear one either... in fact it made me nervous to wear it on the subway etc. It was the 80s in NY, after all, when daylight muggings were fairly common. I went back to wearing my class ring. Well, he decided he didn't like that at all. About a month before the wedding we ended up shopping for rings for both of us.

I didn't change my name when we married, either, so I was already pushing the envelope with both our families. And then no kids. OMG. In my home town, nobody did those things. You'd think we were trying to overthrow society or something. None of that is odd any more. I haven't been asked to explain why our names are different in years.

Anita, I loved your opera look. My niece is selling leggings so I bought a few, then realized I don't have any tops that go with them. I picked up a couple tunic-length tshirts, and I've been wearing them a lot at the lake. She sells Legging Army:

https://leggingarmy.com/womens-leggings-one-size-3-14/

You need to scroll down to see the patterns. I have Missing Piece and Sixth Sense, and another that looks like nebulae in space that has a lot of EARTH purple. I have my eye on Hennaphant and Underwater Darkness. They are very soft. DH pets me like a cat when I wear them. I am at the upper end of their One Size. I almost bought Plus but often when things are too big for me it's because they are baggy in the butt and thighs. Not a good look for leggings.

Now that the weather is warmer I've been wearing more tshirts. I couldn't figure out where some of them had gone. Then I realized we moved back to our apartment in September and I had not moved a lot of them back from the lake. Sure enough, I found a pile in my dresser there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Margaret

2010 Windstar Costa Rica