Lifeguards

One cannot make this stuff up...

Wow!!

:eek::mad::eek:

When did Royal start with having all these lifeguards by the pools? Poor people standing there all day even when no one is even close to go into the water. This is ridiculous.

Because of costs I trust 5 lifeguards on a ship means 5 waiters less on the pool decks..

But it is weird if someone is watching you swiming in a small pool with no children even close. The lifeguards are on duty all day even when it is freezing cold and wet.

But on Indy they even have a life guard at the Solarium Pool that is for 16+.

In most parts of the world you do not find lifeguards at most beaches and hotel pools. I have swum in open oceans and many places around the world. If there is a sign that says swim at own risk, no lifeguard on duty, parents watch your children the situation is clear and parents are responsible. Accidents happen and this is very sad. I am still irritated by all this lifeguards standing around all day but it‘s ok.

For me a cruise ship is still not a crowded waterpark or beach where you can easily loose track of a child. I am also not talking about big Oasis Class ships and crowded hudge pool areas in the Caribbean, I noticed this on smaller ships with 15 degrees outside in the North Sea with nearly no children around. However, let‘s close this topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Doesn't need to be crowded for someone to drown. Unfortunately, people have lost track of their children in the past, big or small ship. Adults can also drown, some of us are crazy and even go swimming when it is freezing outside .Royal have decided to add lifeguards to their pools in order to prevent this, this decision should be applauded and not criticized.

During my cruise on Symphony, I noticed on two occasions the supervisor putting dummies at the bottom of the pool before the change of lifeguard, both times the incoming guard blew his whistle and jumped immediately into the pool upon arrival.

Edited by darthvadrouw

Hopefully none of us will ever need a lifeguard, but if we do then we should be thankful that they were there to save us. It may feel strange to have them watching, but they are of no use when they are not paying attention or not on duty. There is no downside to having them there.

There is a small down side: they are sorta “Zone Busters” if it’s just you and your significant other in the pool. DW and I are usually first in on Embark day, we used enjoy that special 30 to 45mins of having the pool to ourselves, not that we ever did or would do anything crazy, but it felt like he was watching us to make sure we wouldn’t.

On the plus side, besides reducing chance of injury or death, they do a great job of keeping kids out of the solarium pool and also less splashing for adults who feel compelled to cannon ball in.

There is a small down side: they are sorta “Zone Busters” if it’s just you and your significant other in the pool. DW and I are usually first in on Embark day, we used enjoy that special 30 to 45mins of having the pool to ourselves, not that we ever did or would do anything crazy, but it felt like he was watching us to make sure we wouldn’t.

On the plus side, besides reducing chance of injury or death, they do a great job of keeping kids out of the solarium pool and also less splashing for adults who feel compelled to cannon ball in.

There are always the hot tubs that are not supervised if you want to get in the "Zone" :D

There is a small down side: they are sorta “Zone Busters” if it’s just you and your significant other in the pool.

Give me a break. Really?

Everyone seems fixated on the children thing. Even attentive parents who are inches away from their children may not be trained for CPR or clearing an airway. It doesn't take much to start drowning. There really is no downside to having the lifeguards there.

Give me a break. Really?

Everyone seems fixated on the children thing. Even attentive parents who are inches away from their children may not be trained for CPR or clearing an airway. It doesn't take much to start drowning. There really is no downside to having the lifeguards there.

I’m not sure you read my whole post. On the whole, I’m in favor of the Life Guards, but let’s not pretend there is “NO” downside.

We feel the same about cameras all over the ship and many other security measures. Yes, good thing on the whole, but privacy and just plain being treated like an adult is compromised.

I’m not sure you read my whole post. On the whole, I’m in favor of the Life Guards, but let’s not pretend there is “NO” downside.

We feel the same about cameras all over the ship and many other security measures. Yes, good thing on the whole, but privacy and just plain being treated like an adult is compromised.

Yes I read your entire post. Like the cameras, it's all done for your safety, not to intrude on your privacy. Expecting privacy in a pool on a cruise ship, though, just seems silly to me.

Yes I read your entire post. Like the cameras, it's all done for your safety, not to intrude on your privacy. Expecting privacy in a pool on a cruise ship, though, just seems silly to me.

Again, I think both on the whole are a good thing. Certainly not expecting privacy, but having the guy stare at DW in her new bikini was a bit off putting.

Again, I think both on the whole are a good thing. Certainly not expecting privacy, but having the guy stare at DW in her new bikini was a bit off putting.

Your sexual innuendo is off putting in my opinion.

You object to lifeguards so you can have a quickie in the morning, really.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by John&LaLa

I hear what you are saying about the staring. It can take some getting used to.

Your sexual innuendo is off putting in my opinion.

You object to lifeguards so you can have a quickie in the morning, really.

If you are off-put by the notion of of a husband enjoying his wife looking and feeling good that’s your problem.

I did not object to the guards simply pointed out that there is a downside.

If you are off-put by the notion of of a husband enjoying his wife looking and feeling good that’s your problem.

I did not object to the guards simply pointed out that there is a downside.

But that is not the downside you mentioned originally, is it. And that still isn't a downside. There are easily a couple hundred eyes looking at your wife at any given time

Lifeguards are needed, no doubt. But it was very strange looking last week to see one person in the pool and the lifeguard standing at the edge of the pool watching closely & intently. He actually moved from the platform 3 feet closer to the very edge. While I do think the LGs are necessary, I also believe their practice need some adjustment.

As far as staring at bikini clad women, this occurs with or without life guards. The difference is now the LG is standing. on the very edge of the pool to do this. It's when strange becomes creepy.

Having said this, if having LGs offers a side benefit of the prevention of whoopy sessions in the pools and/or overly PDA, I'm all in.

I feel sorry for the lifeguards.

While they do have to watch those in bikinis, that look GOOD in one. They also have to look/stare at the rest of the people on board. Most of who would look best in a tent, hidden from view. :D

This is my thoughts also. Having someone trained in first aid that is right there even if you pull someone out of the water is a good thing.

In addition,it is often said that "I always keep my eyes on my children". That is impossible. One set of my in-laws have four children, there is no way they are able to keep a constant eye on all four of them. So having an extra set of eyes is a good thing.

Cruise lines compete with landbase resorts. Most major landbased resorts have lifeguards so why shouldn't cruise ships.

Give me a break. Really?

Lifeguards are needed, no doubt. But it was very strange looking last week to see one person in the pool and the lifeguard standing at the edge of the pool watching closely & intently. He actually moved from the platform 3 feet closer to the very edge. While I do think the LGs are necessary, I also believe their practice need some adjustment.

As far as staring at bikini clad women, this occurs with or without life guards. The difference is now the LG is standing. on the very edge of the pool to do this. It's when strange becomes creepy.

I have seen this happen often enough to believe that it is standard operating procedure for them. As someone else posted, they could be fired for inattention. I am also pretty sure that the lifeguards are being discreetly monitored by supervisors recording video with iPads. If something bad happens in the pool and the lifeguard doesn't see it right away it could be big trouble for them and for the cruise line. I have come to terms with it and just pretend they are not there.

I have seen this happen often enough to believe that it is standard operating procedure for them. As someone else posted, they could be fired for inattention. I am also pretty sure that the lifeguards are being discreetly monitored by supervisors recording video with iPads. If something bad happens in the pool and the lifeguard doesn't see it right away it could be big trouble for them and for the cruise line. I have come to terms with it and just pretend they are not there.
On MJ this fall there was one LG who wouldn't take eyes off pool even when someone came up to them on pool deck to ask a question. Now that was weird looking.

On MJ this fall there was one LG who wouldn't take eyes off pool even when someone came up to them on pool deck to ask a question. Now that was weird looking.

Reminds me of line umpires in tennis.

Line_umpire.jpg

So if I am reading correctly, this came about as a reaction to one or two incidences? Strange. Akin to making me take my shoes off at the airport due to one incident. No logic whatsoever. Our Oasis cruise last fall was our first with lifeguards. They looked bored senseless. The one that cracked me up was the one who stood over the solarium pool full to the brim with adults drinking. It was so full you could barely move.

So if I am reading correctly, this came about as a reaction to one or two incidences? Strange. Akin to making me take my shoes off at the airport due to one incident. No logic whatsoever. Our Oasis cruise last fall was our first with lifeguards. They looked bored senseless. The one that cracked me up was the one who stood over the solarium pool full to the brim with adults drinking. It was so full you could barely move.
So what are the number of needless deaths that need to occur to justify having lifeguards on board.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

By the early 1900's as many as 9,000 people a year were drowning in the United States. The YMCA started a lifeguard program as early as 1912. The famous Hawai'ian surfer Duke Kahanamoku may have invented the rescue board around 1910-1915. Water safety is not a new concern. I guess like graveyard shift security it can be boring. Boring is better than exciting in this business.

Having said this, if having LGs offers a side benefit of the prevention of whoopy sessions in the pools and/or overly PDA, I'm all in.

Trying to remember if over the years I've witnessed "Whoppy Sessions" in the pool as you call them. Know it's been at least 2nd/3rd base action, but have seen going all the way in cruise ship Hot Tubs and in the water on Labadee...Yuck.

By the early 1900's as many as 9,000 people a year were drowning in the United States. The YMCA started a lifeguard program as early as 1912. The famous Hawai'ian surfer Duke Kahanamoku may have invented the rescue board around 1910-1915. Water safety is not a new concern. I guess like graveyard shift security it can be boring. Boring is better than exciting in this business.

100-150 years ago swimming/bathing went hand in hand, cool off(pre-air conditioning) and get clean. More families went to city pools and ocean. But agree then and now Life Guards are needed and help, though parents should watch their own kids also...