Live from the Island Princess

aknursemom

aknursemom where are you? :confused:

I've been updating the trip on my blog but miss hearing about the exciting time you're having on the same ship. Anxiously awaiting your next update!

Hi Deb! I posted yesterday when we were in Skagway, but I don't know where it went! I wrote it out in Word, so I'll try posting it again now!

We have now been to all three ports. We did not do anyexcursions. The first stop was at Icy Strait Point/Hoonah. On my previousAlaska cruises one of the ports has been Ketchikan. I hate to say it, but IcyStrait Point is a poor substitute. Wegot off of the ship and walked into Hoonah. There is not much to the tiny town.It was very sunny that day and not much in the way of shade on the walk. On theplus side, there were whales in the bay and we were able to see them. The otherplus for us is knowing what Hoonah and Chichagof are like, since we havepatients that come to the hospital from these areas. We enjoyed the uncrowdedship after our walk.

Next was Juneau. We spent time with friends there who droveus past the hospital, who transfers patients to us frequently. I can see why!It is a very small hospital. Our friends said that the hospitals are busy whenships are in town with people that are in the categories of “newlyweds,half-deads, and over-feds.” I am definitely an “over-fed” on this trip! We wentout to Tongass National Park and had a little bit of a picnic. There were porpoisesswimming around and we watched them for quite some time. Again, it was sunnyand warm to us. Our friends told us it was uncharacteristic for Juneau and thatit rains 360 days a year. I believe them, but I have been to Juneau three timesand it has always been nice for me! They suggested I move to Juneau! Ha!

Today, we are in Skagway. The weather finally gave out andit is grey, windy, and rainy. I can’t complain, though, it is the firstun-sunny day I’ve had since I left Anchorage a week ago! There are two ships intown, but the streets and shops don’t seem to be overcrowded. We walked aroundfor a little while and had some coffee in town, then back to the ship. Wechecked out the thermal suite. It was just us and another couple in there thisafternoon. It was very relaxing. They took our cruise card and ushered us rightin without any problem.

So far it has been a relaxing cruise. I didn’t realize howmuch I am on the go until I am on this ship and don’t have to do anything!

It looks like it went through this time!

OK, so for today - we were in Glacier Bay where it rained all morning. It has been windy most of the day. We did get to see a small calving, which was pretty cool!

Oh, I wanted to say a word about the buffet and lack of international cafe. I took one for the team and tried the buffet. I did not enjoy it. The salad bar has much less on it than days gone by and to me the quality of the food has diminished. I have avoided further meals there. We have ordered dinner in our room from the MDR menu and have enjoyed it ALOT! To me that has been the best suite perk of all! DF enjoys ordering in at home and thinks it is awesome!

The lack of IC is sad, sad, sad. I didn't want it to be an issue, but I do miss it. La Patisserie is not comparable. There is a small tray that has had sandwiches or cookies or whatever, but none of the yummy salads, small desserts, panini, etc., that I am used to having. I keep saying over and over, "wait until the next cruise when you will get to have the International Cafe." DF is in awe of the atrium, nonetheless.

Oh, one more thing - we did not have movies on demand. We asked for a DVD player and it was brought in and hooked up for us. We were given a DVD order form and picked out two. We gave the form to the steward and got the movies in about 30 minutes. Very nice to have. I'll post the list of movies when I get back. There were about 100.

If your steward picks up your laundry before 9 am and takes it down you’ll get back before dinner next day. Not all stewards are experienced in all suite perks. I always bring a print out of perks from the website. If I need to I will show it to the steward. Usually all that is needed is a kind request.

The laundry was indeed back before dinner. They hung the t-shirts up on hangers and my jeans looked pressed! Everything was well-done.

Thank you for the info. DD is cruising with me and has participated with workmates playing this game. I am looking forward to playing with her on board the ship.

Sandy

I'd say get in line early for the signup. We didn't do it but were in Crooners and could see the long line out the library doors where the signup was.

So sad to hear that we will not have the IC because you really like it.... Also sorry that the buffet was not to your liking......This is our first cruise on Princess and first time to Alaska. In fact, we have only done 2 cruises prior and they were a while back and both to Mexico. I am hoping since we are not picky eaters (and plan to eat in the dining room as much as possible) that our food experience is enjoyable. I want to do an excursion in each of the ports as I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to return to Alaska so hopefully that makes up for Icy Straight Point being not much of a port. We leave at the end of June. Hope you enjoyed your cruise despite everything.... How was your weather? Was it really necessary to have waterproof shoes? I am struggling with the shoes issue! LOL :ship::cool:;p

So sad to hear that we will not have the IC because you really like it.... Also sorry that the buffet was not to your liking......This is our first cruise on Princess and first time to Alaska. In fact, we have only done 2 cruises prior and they were a while back and both to Mexico. I am hoping since we are not picky eaters (and plan to eat in the dining room as much as possible) that our food experience is enjoyable. I want to do an excursion in each of the ports as I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to return to Alaska so hopefully that makes up for Icy Straight Point being not much of a port. We leave at the end of June. Hope you enjoyed your cruise despite everything.... How was your weather? Was it really necessary to have waterproof shoes? I am struggling with the shoes issue! LOL :ship::cool:;p

The food in the MDR was very good. It was just the buffet that I didn't care for. I enjoyed the cruise very much, and I'm sorry for giving a bad impression of it. There were just some things that I didn't like as much as others.

Our weather was beautiful in Vancouver, Icy Strait Point/Hoonah, and Juneau. It was rainy in Skagway and Glacier Bay. The sun tried to come out in College Fjord and it was rainy in Whittier. The days in Glacier Bay and College Fjord were the chilliest, in my opinion. I never did break out my coat, however. I sweatshirt and windbreaker with a hat were sufficient. I guess it is what you are used to. There were some people dressed in heavy coats, scarves, hats, and gloves.

I don't think it was necessary to have waterproof shoes, but we didn't do any hiking, just walking around. I will say, however, that I only wear waterproof shoes when I'm fishing (i.e., fishing boots).

I saw.in the Patter....Crab Shack? Is that an additional location? Or held within one of the specialty restaurants? Is it all nights? Trying to find alternatives for formal night. Thanks

It is held on one side of the Horizon Court. I just saw it on held on Skagway night. You can double check the Patters posted on my blog to double check but I don't recall seeing it another night. http://www.debsdays.com/

Is it considered specialty dining? Reservations?

Yes, it is considered specialty dining and they do take reservations. It is listed on the specialty dining sheet you get with the first day papers but doesn't list the date it is held. I don't know if can be booked online or not. If you can't book online, I'd say call the dine line and make reservations when you get on board if you want a certain time. It's usually pretty busy.

I have never done a live report before, so please bear with me!

We have embarked in Vancouver. We arrived early at 0930. There were plenty of porters available to take our luggage. We checked in with Princess and then went through security. That all took about 30 minutes. We then cleared customs and went to the EPS waiting area. We started boarding at 1120. We were first in line at passenger services and first to sign up for the UST! We are currently enjoying an espresso while our room is being readied. I'll keep posting. Please ask any questions you might have and I'll do my best to answer them!

I'm wondering what you thought of the ship tour - was it worth it?