Norwegian Sun Bahamas 3 Day, May 2018 -- Dailies Scans included

adjensen

I priced it out and using Park Port Canaveral will actually save me even less than I thought. They want $46.59 and to park directly at PC it is $68. So only $20ish cheaper. I'm not familiar with the west end, even though the savings is only $20 or so would you still suggest off-site parking based on your past experiences?

Since you're on the Sun, I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe there are issues with the Epic, but that ship is twice the size (in passengers) of the Sun. We got there a bit after 10AM, and there were plenty of parking spots in both the outside lot and the ground level of the garage. If you tip the driver of the shuttle (I usually give them a fiver,) that will further cut into your savings.

Since you're on the Sun, I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe there are issues with the Epic, but that ship is twice the size (in passengers) of the Sun. We got there a bit after 10AM, and there were plenty of parking spots in both the outside lot and the ground level of the garage. If you tip the driver of the shuttle (I usually give them a fiver,) that will further cut into your savings.

Thanks again for all the advice. I share your disdain for buffets. Was there always a "traditional" sit down option available for every meal or was the buffet inevitable? You review mentioned buffet on the island but I think I read there's also a taco place?

I priced it out and using Park Port Canaveral will actually save me even less than I thought. They want $46.59 and to park directly at PC it is $68. So only $20ish cheaper. I'm not familiar with the west end, even though the savings is only $20 or so would you still suggest off-site parking based on your past experiences?

Depends on how you get from the off-site parking to the terminal. Free shuttle or one that costs extra? Plus, the other comment may be correct in that number of passengers coming and going probably contributes to the congestion.

Thanks again for all the advice. I share your disdain for buffets. Was there always a "traditional" sit down option available for every meal or was the buffet inevitable? You review mentioned buffet on the island but I think I read there's also a taco place?

Check the Dailies I posted -- there are times during the day when only the buffet is open, and on port days, lunch is usually buffet only (there is a "pasta and pizza" station for lunch in Moderno, but that's buffet fare, as far as I'm concerned.) There is always table service for breakfast and dinner every day, and for lunch on embarkation day and sea days (of which this cruise doesn't have any.)

I haven't ever checked out the taco place on the island, didn't even know it was there until I scanned in that map last night, lol.

I haven't ever checked out the taco place on the island, didn't even know it was there until I scanned in that map last night, lol.

We tried the Taco "stand" by accident, it was OK but seems that NCL(or any cruise line for that matter) cannot make good food on any private island...

Check the Dailies I posted -- there are times during the day when only the buffet is open, and on port days, lunch is usually buffet only (there is a "pasta and pizza" station for lunch in Moderno, but that's buffet fare, as far as I'm concerned.) There is always table service for breakfast and dinner every day, and for lunch on embarkation day and sea days (of which this cruise doesn't have any.)

I have my hesitations but at the current price point of less than $300pp with an open bar, what the hell. Pulling the trigger. I'll return with a review to share in June!

I have my hesitations but at the current price point of less than $300pp with an open bar, what the hell. Pulling the trigger. I'll return with a review to share in June!

Have a great cruise! Say hi to Victor and Filip for me :)

We tried the Taco "stand" by accident, it was OK but seems that NCL(or any cruise line for that matter) cannot make good food on any private island...

I suppose that they do the best that they can with the limited kitchen facilities and staff on the island, but every time I see ship crew wearing "Great Stirrup Cay" shirts get on the tender carrying big trays of pre-cooked something, the foodie in me dies, just a little.

NCL appears to be building a zip line tower on GSC. Imagine if they put those resources into building a decent kitchen and BBQ pit instead.

Thanks so much for posting, and for all the detail! It's so helpful. We are sailing on the Sun on May 28th - doing Key West/Cuba that week. Please forgive my ignorant question, but I'm wondering if the info on the Dailies you posted will be similar to what we can expect - same ship, but different ports? I mean, I know obviously some things will be different, like the GSC and Nassau-specific stuff on Port days, but will the "general" stuff (evening activities, etc) be the same?

We've sailed NCL before, on the Jade, but it's been years. I'm trying to find as much info as I can on what to expect on the Key West/Cuba sailings. Thanks!

Thanks so much for posting, and for all the detail! It's so helpful. We are sailing on the Sun on May 28th - doing Key West/Cuba that week. Please forgive my ignorant question, but I'm wondering if the info on the Dailies you posted will be similar to what we can expect - same ship, but different ports? I mean, I know obviously some things will be different, like the GSC and Nassau-specific stuff on Port days, but will the "general" stuff (evening activities, etc) be the same?

We've sailed NCL before, on the Jade, but it's been years. I'm trying to find as much info as I can on what to expect on the Key West/Cuba sailings. Thanks!

See you onboard! 7 days!

I’ve never done this “open bar” cruise. Is there a $ limit on drinks like with the drink package? Bummed to hear about Mr. Worldwide- my favorite drink!

There is no dollar limit, they just limit you to "designated drinks." Each bar has a menu, and the drinks that aren't included have prices on them -- anything without a price is included. Most bars also have a "top shelf," literally, where they put the bottles you have to pay for.

The differences are a little bizarre -- Grey Goose, on the Escape last February, was their well vodka; on the Sun, Grey Goose was top shelf, while Ketel One and Tito's were included, and I heard that many wines were not included (once again, if there's a price on the wine list, it isn't free.)

I'm guessing that the evening activities will be pretty much the same, although there probably won't be much going on during the overnight in Havana, since most people will be ashore (my recommendation? Tropicana, it was the highlight of our trip to Cuba last October!)

I encourage everyone to check out Sun and Sky sailing these itineraries over the summer. Demand is low as prices are plummeting. Sky is only $269pp for 3 nights out of Miami on 6/1 and we got a cabin on Sun out of PC on 6/1 for $299pp. If you live near a port and can travel last minute, definitely consider it. I'll have a trip report in a few weeks.

I encourage everyone to check out Sun and Sky sailing these itineraries over the summer. Demand is low as prices are plummeting. Sky is only $269pp for 3 nights out of Miami on 6/1 and we got a cabin on Sun out of PC on 6/1 for $299pp. If you live near a port and can travel last minute, definitely consider it. I'll have a trip report in a few weeks.

That is, indeed, a great rate! Congrats on booking it!

There is no dollar limit, they just limit you to "designated drinks." Each bar has a menu, and the drinks that aren't included have prices on them -- anything without a price is included. Most bars also have a "top shelf," literally, where they put the bottles you have to pay for.

The differences are a little bizarre -- Grey Goose, on the Escape last February, was their well vodka; on the Sun, Grey Goose was top shelf, while Ketel One and Tito's were included, and I heard that many wines were not included (once again, if there's a price on the wine list, it isn't free.)

So if Mr. Worldwide wasn't on the menu when that bartender did make it for you, how much extra did that cost?

I have compiled a list of all the drinks that sound good that I wanted to try and that was one of them. But I didn't think it would cost anything.

Thanks.

So if Mr. Worldwide wasn't on the menu when that bartender did make it for you, how much extra did that cost?

It didn't cost anything, it just wasn't on the menu, so the only people that knew how to make it were transfers from one of the bigger ships. Apparently it is a drink that NCL came up with when they had some rapper promoting their Breakaway+ class of ships.

https://www.ncl.com/pitbull

http://nclrecipes.com/frontend/recipe/recipe_details/65

(Aside here… there is a drink on other NCL cruises, called "Mr Worldwide", but apparently it's not generally available on the Sun — it's not on any drink menu.

Im curious, what is it? LOL

Recipe in the second link of my post above yours :)

Thank you for posting the dailies. Can you confirm if the Moderno Churrascaria restaurant is in fact open? I was told by two different cruise consultants at NCL that it was closed and replaced by Los Lobos when the refurbishment occurred. However based on the dailies posted, it appears that both of those restaurants are available.

Thank you for posting the dailies. Can you confirm if the Moderno Churrascaria restaurant is in fact open? I was told by two different cruise consultants at NCL that it was closed and replaced by Los Lobos when the refurbishment occurred. However based on the dailies posted, it appears that both of those restaurants are available.

Yes, Moderno is still there, it's on Deck 11, Los Lobos is on 12.

Awesome, thank you! Interesting that two NCL employees told me otherwise, makes me wonder what else I was misguided on. Thanks again for your review, it is getting me excited for my trip!

Yes, Moderno is still there, it's on Deck 11, Los Lobos is on 12.