Glory, May 12-19th...just back, what a wild trip!

ABQrobin

Got back late last night from our flights home. Wow, what an "eventful" cruise.

I have hundreds of photos and some videos to share, sometime this week. Just working on laundry and downloading stuff today.

To say the least, it was a unique cruise.

First, embarkation day we left Miami on time, then had to return to Miami for a med evac, lady died onboard. That made us 4 hours late but our awesome Capt and crew made up the time so we arrive Monday at Grand Turk on time.

Then, leaving San Juan we were delayed due to another medical situation. Once again, our amazing crew got us on the way to St Thomas....

But then as we were arriving we were notified there was a Man Overboard on the MSC Seaside ship and we were ordered to help in search-and-rescue (Maritime law, all available ships in region must help). So... we did zipzag patterns in ocean for 2+ hours before Coast Guard released us from search. All the excursions were affected as we arrived at port 3 hours late. Some were cancelled, like ours, and so with a short port time, we just did some things on our own. We left St Thomas about an hour late, once again our crew working hard to get us to next port...

Last port, Amber Cove, we arrived an hour late, so again all excursions were affected. A few cancelled but most just slipped to later. We still had to leave port at same time though so everything was a bit rushed. We found out at dinner than another passenger had passed away on an excursion bus. So sad.

So.... all in all, it was a great cruise even though our port times were affected. I will have more detail and photos in my trip report in a few days. The crew was great, the Fun Squad was fantastic, we had a great time.... but it was "eventful".

robin

We were on the Glory the week before you and there was a medical evacuation in Roaton. I never found out what happened. You are way ahead of me on your review. I am just getting started. I look forward to reading yours.

Wow 2 deaths on one boat - Feel bad for the family members that were with them

One death on the Glory and one MOB on the MSC Seaside, presumed dead.

Considering the demographics of the cruising population, the on board over indulgences of food and booze, the diseases of obesity, hypertension, diabetes and sleep apnea constantly posted about here on CC, I would venture that medical emergencies for most cruises are becoming the norm and not an exception any more.

While not as noticeable as a helivac or search at sea, I've often seen ambulances on docks taking a passenger and family away for medical help.

We were on this cruise as well and I agree that the Captain and the Staff were amazing,. I heard from another guest that they were standing by the elderly woman during muster when she started to complain she wasn't feeling well. I don't think it was ever confirmed if she passed, all we heard was that she was in cardiac arrest. I'll be doing a review as well in a few days, gotta catch up on this work stuff unfortunately.

One death on the Glory and one MOB on the MSC Seaside, presumed dead.

Considering the demographics of the cruising population, the on board over indulgences of food and booze, the diseases of obesity, hypertension, diabetes and sleep apnea constantly posted about here on CC, I would venture that medical emergencies for most cruises are becoming the norm and not an exception any more.

While not as noticeable as a helivac or search at sea, I've often seen ambulances on docks taking a passenger and family away for medical help.

This was our 9th cruise, and I would say half of them we have seen an evac of a passenger.

But 2, possibly 3 (don't know status of person at San Juan) deaths and a MOB (crew member of MSC Seaside, suspected suicide)....that is a lot in a week. Regardless of all that, everyone onboard seemed to keep it all in perspective. Only heard of one person raising heck at Guest Services.

I also know of a collision/wreck of Seados in a port where both people hospitalized with broken bones, as well as quite a few guests onboard by last day in casts on a foot or arm. As I said before.....just a wild week. Weather was a bit windy and occasional passing showers, didn't even hear people complaining about that. It was the best behaved cruise we have ever been on in that regard.

We were on this cruise as well and I agree that the Captain and the Staff were amazing,. I heard from another guest that they were standing by the elderly woman during muster when she started to complain she wasn't feeling well. I don't think it was ever confirmed if she passed, all we heard was that she was in cardiac arrest. I'll be doing a review as well in a few days, gotta catch up on this work stuff unfortunately.

Thanks for the info on her. We knew it was something that happened not long after the sailaway.

The guy who died on Amber Cove excursion was sitting on bus and when they reached their first stop, about an hour from port, no one could wake him. Lady who was at our dinner table was there and she did CPR on him until the ambulance came and took him away. She said he was only 53. His family was on excursion too and had no idea he wasn't sleeping.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes indeed, that sailing was one for the books!

I had a chance to talk to the CD Dustin really quickly....he said it was an unusually busy trip on the emergency/medical front.

I was impressed with his energy throughout though.

Yes indeed, that sailing was one for the books!

I had a chance to talk to the CD Dustin really quickly....he said it was an unusually busy trip on the emergency/medical front.

I was impressed with his energy throughout though.

We really enjoyed CD Dustin and his crew. Lots of fun, even with all the unscheduled emergencies.

My full trip report is going on here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2640931

Tons of photos and videos.