Dress code on Viking Ocean

khurley20

+1

I participate on this site for information, which certainly is not what one gets with discussions how some people think other people should dress. No more of this for me either.

If you are looking for information, here is Viking's policy -

"Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), trousers or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” and recommended evening dress is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. Ties and jackets are optional. We suggest you pack comfortable walking shoes, dressier shoes, a collapsible umbrella/lightweight rain gear; items you can layer like lightweight jackets/sweaters; sunglasses, a sun hat/visor, sunscreen; and toiletries including a travel-sized hand sanitizer. Depending on the season and destination, you may also want to add a warm coat, gloves and water-resistant footwear."

For me it isn't about personal preferences. Viking's dress code posted under FAQ clearly states shorts & jeans are OK during the day. However, in the evening, for gentlemen,only trousers and collared shirts are acceptable. That works for us, which is one of the reasons we picked Viking for our next World Cruise. If you prefer jeans, a number of lines find them acceptable.

The FAQ seems to allude to this applying to the entire ship, however when researching Viking, I recall reading the World Cafe is more casual in the evening.

I find it funny some of you make owning/wearing jeans, even outside of a luxury cruise, like having the plague. The price of nice jeans can easily match if not exceed the cost of slacks. I understand the purpose of the dress code since not all jeans were created equally, and easier to say no jeans, period. To wholly dismiss someone because they wear jeans to dinner is a bit highbrow, we all read the undertone in some of the posts here. For what it's worth, a certain former Apple CEO wore nothing but jeans and turtlenecks....

If wearing a pair of $30 Dockers khaki will gain me entry for dinner, then I will forgo my $200 pair of jeans. :p

Found this definition on my favorite Merrimack-Webster site. When you enter the word “trousers” it gives the same definition as for the word “pants.”

“or less commonly pant , chiefly US : an outer garment covering each leg separately and usually extending from the waist to the ankle a pair of pants wearing short/long pants —often used before another noun a pants leg —sometimes used in the singular form pant especially before another noun and in clothing catalogs a pant lega classic khaki pant

2 chiefly British : men's underpants” <—- [emoji16] probably why those from Britain prefer the word “trousers.”

For those who prefer the Oxford Dictionary...

“(also a pair of trousers)

PLURAL NOUN

An outer garment covering the body from the waist to the ankles, with a separate part for each leg.”

I checked several other dictionary sites as well, but they are all pretty consistent and none - not a one - mentions a type of fabric that might disqualify the garment in question from fitting the definition.

Trousers = jeans and jeans =trousers by definition.

I will mention, again, that my husband and I do not, as a rule, wear jeans to dinner on a ship, nor do we do so when going to a nice restaurant, but like Mrs Miggins I have been known to wear white twill aka denim pants with a brightly colored blouse. I also have a pair of pants made of a dark navy twill (no pockets, no rivets, no contrasting stitching) that I have worn on occasion. Are they jeans or trousers or pants?

I have seen others wearing garments that are made of blue, black or white twill fabric aka denim, and I was neither offended, nor repulsed by said garments being worn where I was dining. My appetite remained in tact and my food tasted delicious.

Now, if I were sailing on a cruise line such as Cunard, and I was complying with the formal night dress code, I would expect others to comply as well, but I certainly would not get my knickers in a knot if I saw someone who did not meet the standard.

I would say that the majority of those sailing on Viking, choose Viking for, among other reasons, the more casual and relaxed atmosphere. I know I always check the general atmosphere of a new cruise line before I book, because I’m not dragging fancy dress around any more. Been there, done that. We like casual.

I think Viking is putting that casual atmosphere forward as an incentive. I think they are aiming to appeal to the target market that we fit into - those who have left formal behind. Casual in this day and age includes those denim garments. Despite the fact that they sponsored Downton Abbey, I certainly don’t expect Carson to be setting the tone. [emoji13]

Nothing in any of the materials we received for our recent cruise mentioned the word “jeans.” People were allowed into the specialty restaurants in said garments with not even a raised eyebrow. I think Viking has gotten the message from the majority of their patrons. And I think those fighting the trend are tilting at windmills.

I maintain also that the whole subject is much ado about nothing, and a tempest in a teapot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

I’m sorry if I missed it, but I have not seen anyone mention what is printed in the cruise documents. I’d be curious if they’ve changed the wording over the years. Here is what is printed in our docs for the July sailing aboard the Viking Orion:

Dress on Board

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), pants or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas, and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues after 6:00pm, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies include a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not allowed.

Like others mentioned, I’m not typically bothered by what others wear. If their behavior is loud, boorish, and/or rude, then I’m likely to notice their attire as well. We recently did a 20-something course dinner experience with 7 strangers in Las Vegas. The most obnoxious person arrived late, wore a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. His behavior bothered me more than what he was wearing. (Ok, I didn’t love that he wore flip flops to a nice dinner – but I didn’t have to see his feet once we were all seated).

What a person chooses to wear, how they present themselves communicates something about them - even if its just that they haven't read the Viking dress code info! Us Brits can probably spot an American on sight and vice versa. Another fun cruise activity!

Two nations divided by not only a common language but by an attitude to jeans!!

Hi Nippy (or is it Sweety),

Looking at your signature It doesn't look as if you have yet done a Viking Ocean (I may be wrong-I sometimes am). We have done 2 in the Med with another booked but I can honestly say that the standard of dress was absolutely fine. I only have two stand out recollections. One an Englishman who wore shorts during the day on a New Year's cruise, (so it was not hot hot hot) but not of course in the evening and a lovely Oriental lady of middle years who was dancing wildly and happily in torn blue jeans at our New Year's party. I have no idea where she dined. Friends who have done several Viking cruises in the Caribbean say the code is a little more relaxed.

In addition I would say it was not always apparent who was from where. There were neither Stetsons nor kilts on our cruise. I honestly think that once everyone is onboard then the lovely crew and ship will put all these minor irritations aside.

I’m sorry if I missed it, but I have not seen anyone mention what is printed in the cruise documents. I’d be curious if they’ve changed the wording over the years. Here is what is printed in our docs for the July sailing aboard the Viking Orion:

Dress on Board

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), pants or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas, and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues after 6:00pm, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies include a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not allowed.

Like others mentioned, I’m not typically bothered by what others wear. If their behavior is loud, boorish, and/or rude, then I’m likely to notice their attire as well. We recently did a 20-something course dinner experience with 7 strangers in Las Vegas. The most obnoxious person arrived late, wore a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. His behavior bothered me more than what he was wearing. (Ok, I didn’t love that he wore flip flops to a nice dinner – but I didn’t have to see his feet once we were all seated).

We got the same in our documents for this June cruise.

I believe this topic should stop. We like to dress up for dinner but we wouldn’t loose our appetite if someone would show up in jeans especially on the first night of cruise. Our luggage didn’t arrive until very late night and we were in jeans at our first dinner of the first to us Viking Ocean. I’ve seen people who pulled a very elegant look with jeans and people who looked “messy” wearing “appropriate” clothes. Fashion is very subjective especially this time. Cultures ARE different but it doesn’t mean that one is better than the other. So let’s stop this conversation and be friends :)

Dress on Board

This is what was printed in the Viking Daily every day on our March cruise on the Viking Sea.

0234d50be9db1f6e35cd7d163ff475fb.jpg

Yet this is what the book that came with our package said ( I should mention that the book was totally wrong about other things [emoji849])

d6ffc95530e5d0e2d63d180825307044.jpg

Inconsistency thy name is Viking [emoji12]

What a person chooses to wear, how they present themselves communicates something about them - even if its just that they haven't read the Viking dress code info! Us Brits can probably spot an American on sight and vice versa. Another fun cruise activity!

I’ve learned not to judge a book by it’s cover. I’ve met boors in stylish clothes, and wonderful, interesting people in jeans and tee shirts.

I would have never thought of jeans as offensive or counter to a advertised casual cruise void of formal nights. I will have to take a hard look at our instructions to make sure we are appropriately adorned. While on vacation, the tragedy of wearing inappropriate attire is not on my list of top 100 concerns.

I would have never thought of jeans as offensive or counter to a advertised casual cruise void of formal nights. I will have to take a hard look at our instructions to make sure we are appropriately adorned. While on vacation, the tragedy of wearing inappropriate attire is not on my list of top 100 concerns.

Jeans are not offensive, they are simply inappropriate. Viking have stated that they do not want jeans to be worn in the majority of venues in the evening. It is their policy and the majority of passengers abide by it.

Why do some Americans just not conform to this request? Alternatively, persuade Viking to change their policy.

On a Siversea cruise a Texan was refused entry to the MDR on a formal evening. He was wearing boots, jeans, a jacket, shirt and a Stetson hat. He claimed that this would be classed as formal wear in Texas. The maitre d' stood his ground and the passenger had to change. Two very well dressed American ladies who overheard the discussion were delighted with the maitre d' and the stand he took. Cruise lines want a certain ambiance in the evening and the standard of dress plays its part.

I know this is really nit-picking now, but Viking promotes "casual elegant" dress for their cruises. That seems to be a category of their own invention, but by their definition it means no jeans or t-shirts in the restaurants in the evening (World Cafe an exception), and no formal wear required (though I assume not forbidden;).)

Personally, as I like the chance to put on something a little nicer than the jeans I wear everyday, it is a category that suits me just fine.

Jeans are not offensive, they are simply inappropriate. Viking have stated that they do not want jeans to be worn in the majority of venues in the evening. It is their policy and the majority of passengers abide by it.

Why do some Americans just not conform to this request? Alternatively, persuade Viking to change their policy.

On a Siversea cruise a Texan was refused entry to the MDR on a formal evening. He was wearing boots, jeans, a jacket, shirt and a Stetson hat. He claimed that this would be classed as formal wear in Texas. The maitre d' stood his ground and the passenger had to change. Two very well dressed American ladies who overheard the discussion were delighted with the maitre d' and the stand he took. Cruise lines want a certain ambiance in the evening and the standard of dress plays its part.

It really does just depends on ones definition of appropriate. Like the Texan you describe, our former governor, Bill Richardson, was always dressed for “formal” occasions in jeans, boots, and a jacket (but not the hat). And he went on the become the US Secretary of Energy, and later the US Ambassador to the United Nations, all in the same dress.

It really does just depends on ones definition of appropriate. Like the Texan you describe, our former governor, Bill Richardson, was always dressed for “formal” occasions in jeans, boots, and a jacket (but not the hat). And he went on the become the US Secretary of Energy, and later the US Ambassador to the United Nations, all in the same dress.

You are not the first to use this argument. One contributor to this thread mentioned the CEO of Apple always wearing polo neck jumpers and jeans. In both cases, it could be said that the form of dress would not always be appropriate and was simply accepted by others because of the status of the individual.

Where there is a dress code it shouldn't matter if you are a king or a pauper, the same rules apply.

My point is a little different than that made about Steve Jobs. There are different standards for “appropriate” dinner or formal wear in different parts of the world. Various countries in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East would probably dress differently for the “nice” restaurant than we would. I am sure we would all embrace the difference. Formal attire in the American Southwest is different too. I have no problem following the “when in Rome,” mandate, but I can have an open mind about those who don’t. The world and its values are changing. In Milan at La Scala this past January, people were seen in tuxedos—and yes, in jeans, too.

Viking have stated that they do not want jeans to be worn in the majority of venues in the evening. It is their policy and the majority of passengers abide by it.

::sigh:: Viking has “stated” nothing of the kind. There is contradictory information provided in the different materials put forth by the company. When they get their act together, and get all of their materials on the same page, there will be a definitive “code” to be concerned about. Right now, the way it is, there is no code, only guidelines.

There is no specific, consistent “request” to “conform” to. And I don’t see anyone persuading Viking to change their contradictory policy - Americans or others.

When they do a better, more consistent job of explaining the oxymoron “Elegant Casual,” there will no longer be an argument

314542267c7e271b85b5d71b5ff43c9c.jpg

a94244f08a33078e8d8b1f46ab649fe3.jpg

f3b11c1fc37be972f8fb61a9f939e5dd.jpg

I love sailing with Viking, but I have come to learn that very frequently getting consistent information from them is a bit like a game of pin the tail on the donkey. My TA got 3 different answers from 3 different people about the charge for a direct flight instead of the convoluted route Viking offered.

Again I will repeat, we are not among those who wear jeans to dinner, but I have no problem with those who do. I think there are more important things to concern oneself with than whether others are “properly” dressed.

If the food is good and the company interesting, I’m good. I simply do not understand the vehemence from those who are so sure they know what Viking has in mind, when they don’t seem to know themselves.

Peace out ✌️

::sigh:: Viking has “stated” nothing of the kind. There is contradictory information provided in the different materials put forth by the company.

It's no wonder you're confused, you posted a photo of the VR FAQ. The Ocean FAQ is consistent with the 'Dress on board & packing suggestions' photo in your post.

Since your cruise was before Viking sorted out their pre cruise documentation the information in your Daily is probably out of date, so the remaining issue is enforcement which is one which will run for ever on every line that has a dress code.

It's no wonder you're confused, you posted a photo of the VR FAQ. The Ocean FAQ is consistent with the 'Dress on board & packing suggestions' photo in your post.

Since your cruise was before Viking sorted out their pre cruise documentation the information in your Daily is probably out of date, so the remaining issue is enforcement which is one which will run for ever on every line that has a dress code.

I’m not confused in the least. I simply went to vikingcruises.com and did a search on “dress” and “elegant.” I also took photos from our cruise book and our Viking Dailies.

Our cruise was just in March on the Viking Sea, and we had different information in the various documents that were given out. The people at the entrances to all the dining venues had no issues with people who were wearing jeans. Nary an eyebrow was raised. No one was directed to the World Cafe.

Viking describes both river and ocean dress as “Elegant Casual” so they need to come up with a consistent definition across the board and stick to it. If they don’t want people wearing jeans, then they need to say in, no uncertain terms, “no jeans,” in ALL documents as well as in all places on their website. The only thing that seems to be consistent is collared shirts ... and inconsistency.

Viking is encouraging river cruisers to come over to Viking ocean, and they are promoting the same experience, the same casual atmosphere on board both. (And we had people in shorts on our river cruise.)

The fault here is Viking’s lack of consistency across the board, not with jeans-wearing Americans, and probably more than a few Australians, since we had a rather large contingent from the Land Down Under on our cruise.

Viking is not alone in this lack of consistency. This same discussion comes up as regularly as the sun across nearly every board here on Cruise Critic (and a few other places as well)

The prevailing tide in dress today is towards more casual, than less. The cruise lines seem to have developed squirrel in the road syndrome. They can’t decide which way to go - which customers to please. And this causes much knotting of knickers on both sides of the argument.

I think this is one case where the flow is strong in one direction, and one may as well go with the flow instead of swimming against the tide. Personally, I am neither for or against denim pants, but I am firmly in Camp Consistency.

Yup. Consistency would be good. Is 'elegant casual' not a contradiction in terms anyway?

As one person said: it's in the eyes of the beholder!

As far as blue jeans are concerned: there are farmer john jeans and there are $200 Nordstrom jeans. Alex, I'll take dressy jeans for $200!

We got the same in our documents for this June cruise.

I believe this topic should stop. We like to dress up for dinner but we wouldn’t loose our appetite if someone would show up in jeans especially on the first night of cruise. Our luggage didn’t arrive until very late night and we were in jeans at our first dinner of the first to us Viking Ocean. I’ve seen people who pulled a very elegant look with jeans and people who looked “messy” wearing “appropriate” clothes. Fashion is very subjective especially this time. Cultures ARE different but it doesn’t mean that one is better than the other. So let’s stop this conversation and be friends :)

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

It surprises me that we arestill talking about this. I agree that Viking has to specify the dress code consistently in every place they publish it. But, and this is the big BUT, someone has to be smarter to stop this conversation. Both parties would never agreed. This conversation is unstoppable. Culture, generations, even gender would disagree on clothes and what is appropriate or not. You are all adults and IMHO it’s time to stop pointing finger. And again, let’s be friends and have fantastic cruises together :)

I’m not confused in the least...

...Viking describes both river and ocean dress as “Elegant Casual” so they need to come up with a consistent definition across the board and stick to it.

Why? VO and VR are radically different products even if they share a lot of the same customers, so I still think you're confused when posting the VR dress policy on the VO forum.