Allure: Confessions of a solo passenger

hucifer

It is a beautiful day. We had rainy, cloudy weather for most of the week. But the Cozumel gods were smiling upon me that day. Right at 9am, Carlos comes back and asks me if I want anything to drink. Pfffft. As if he had to ask. I order a pina colada and sit back and absorb it all in. Even at 9am, I am the only customer and I have this entire club to myself. I have a whole staff of servers waiting to please me, and only me. That alone is worth the $55. In fact, no one shows up until 9:30 or so. But I am very happy to see people because it still felt a little Hostel-esque to me.

22008175_1676268935725408_7865760265952846407_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=83cbc510a4dade4c216cb1bd9fc7081f&oe=5B89D891

Just my sexy, sexy legs and...

22046734_1676268892392079_9187907304619030049_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9cd5fc349fbcfef37af21e429892ca6c&oe=5BC2C1FE

...my pina colada

The first couple to show up look awfully familiar. I am quite sure I’ve seen them on the ship, but where? Helping me with American History trivia at the Schooner Bar? At the Windjammer, watching me dance like Elaine? In the Promenade, giving us a pathetic display of a senior citizen flash mob? At Dazzles, dropping keychains into bowls with their buttcheeks? They sit a few lounge chairs down from me, but far enough where you have to shout to hear each other. I stare at them for a long time as my brain tries to recall where I know them from. They sit, I stare, they swim, I stare. This couple is so cute. Probably about ten years older than me. The way they interact tells me that they’ve been married forever, but still adore each other. It makes me so happy to see good long-term marriages. Gives me hope.

Eventually we started chatting with each other. They were very friendly, as I think they remember me too. In the middle of a conversation with them, it hit me. “You guys have the cabin right next to me!” The man and woman nod and were all like, duhhh. They apparently recognized me right away. These two were extremely nice, and no doubt my favorite people to chat with on the entire cruise. We talk about the Allure, our interior2 cabins, and the uncanny coincidence of seeing each other at this exclusive independent excursion.

I break away from them for a dip in the water. Day 6, right? And this is my first time getting into the sea. In Labadee I didn’t feel comfortable leaving my stuff behind at all, and in Jamaica, the rainy, cloudy weather didn’t make me want to jump in the water. But here in travel-advisory Mexico, the weather and the water are perfect, and there were so few people around that I feel perfectly comfortable leaving my valuables back on the beach. WOW, the water feels as amazing as it looks. I spend a long time swimming and just enjoying the warm briny sea as it envelopes my body.

Carlos makes many visits to check on my drinks and see if I’m hungry yet. I finally order lunch. It isn’t much, but it will hold me over until I get back on the ship.

22090142_1676268815725420_4377684676455055272_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=17b44b682321b7a3ee603b047911279a&oe=5B782689

No, that is not for a serving of two. Yes, everything on that tray is included. No, I did not eat it all.

22089161_1676268782392090_3414466681112542900_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=80c7fe3f035dc8178150b62c87b491b2&oe=5B935A90

Look at that that water. LOOK AT IT!

22046014_1676268852392083_5597337674010554606_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4bc2862910e684277fc5e3c96e51d06c&oe=5B8F4C05

So worth risking my own personal safety for.

Well, the morning and afternoon at Nachi Cocum are absolutely wonderful. Very few people are there and I feel like I have the beach and sea all to myself. The staff is attentive, the food is excellent, and drinks are flowing. No doubt one of the best excursions I’ve ever taken. On all of my thousand cruises. Cannot recommend it more. In fact, I told my ex and his fiancé to do this excursion on their honeymoon last December (which they didn’t do). They were on Norwegian’s Getaway or something. These crazy nut jobs brought all three kids AND his mother-in-law on their honeymoon. My (then) 10yo was geeked. He better not expect the same from me if I ever get married again, because my ex is NOT setting a precedent.

My cabin neighbors and I decide to share a cab back to the ship. So my Hostel fears are fading. And the cab fare is cut in half. On the way back, I get to know these awesome people even more. But don’t ask me their names. I completely forgot. After all, I took this cruise back in September and I’m all old and stuff.

After dinner (forgettable, as usual) I walk to Starbucks and get a Shout-Out Sheet for Jimmie’s Cruise Director show. I scribble a few words and drop it into the box.

Tonight I see Blue Planet. It is cool and all, but forgettable, except for the living tree and the trampoline people. The lead singer is the rich friend from Mama Mia, but her stage presence is something to be desired. So a day or two before I am sitting at Sorrento’s and not eating pizza. I forget why I was there. Waiting for something, I guess. Anyway, she walks right by me. I give her a smile when we make eye contact and she gives me a snarly smile back. Like she was forced to make a pleasant facial expression for the commoners and this was so beneath her. That split second of contact left me with a worse feeling than a Sorrento’s pizza. Like I captured her personality in an instant. Anyway, this forced pleasantness seemed to ooze out of her on stage. Very unlikeable. Which is weird, because I thought she did a fantastic job with Mama Mia.

After the show, I walk right past Richard, the dude I met this morning. He is sitting on a bench and is on the phone. I give him a little wave and he says, “Call you back,” and hangs up. Just like that. “Where are you off to?” he asks, and jumps up out of his seat. I tell him that I am going to see The Quest, and would he like to join me? He asks what that is. Oh, you ignorant fool, I think. I tell him to come and that he needs to experience it for himself.

We sit up front. Richard does the unthinkable and orders me a Lemondrop martini. It took six days for a man to buy me a drink. I am losing my touch. Or maybe I never had it. I don’t know. While we wait, we get to know each other better. Richard is divorced and lives in New Hampshire with a couple of teenagers. He is like 53 or 68 or something. Conversation is still going well. And then the show starts.

Well, you know how The Quest is. It’s not for the faint of heart. Or the old and frail. We end up sitting in a rather dull section. Even worse, we sit directly next to a super engaged one. So I am not pleased. The last time I saw this show was on my solo Independence cruise. I was the designated female runner for our section and THAT group was even lamer than the one we’re in now. As a runner, I had to do the worm on the dirty floor. I was wearing a short blue dress. After the show, we’re all walking out and a woman in my section compliments my red panties. Great. Hope they got that on camera. Then again, thank God I wore panties.

So this section isn’t much better, so we don’t do well. But no matter, Richard enjoyed the happy accident that is The Quest, and I got a free drink out of it. Win-win.

When we’re piling out of the theatre, I invite Richard to (surprise!) Jazz on 4. He says that he would love to join me. And…hello. He buys me another drink at the club. I am liking my new friend. As much as I love being alone, my extrovert side is enjoying the interaction very much. Plus, he SEEMS like a nice guy. Also, free drinks. We agree to meet for breakfast at Johnny Rockets the following morning and then bid each other a good night.

Coming up: DAY 7: THE SECOND CLOSEST I GET TO HAVING SEX

Oh no, Day 7 and getting to the end of your cruise! How are we going to manage not seeing anymore of your posts after you're done with this review? Hopefully, you'll write about your cruise in August with your son, but what will we do in the meantime? I love reading your posts and don't want them to come to an end!

Nachi Cocom looks wonderful! Can see why so many rave about it.

We'll be in Cozumel in March but don't think we need all inclusive with kids. Plus for me, one drink and I feel it so any more is not a good combo with the sea. Looks so relaxing through and peaceful and great that it wasn't busy. Says a lot too with you being able to go in the ocean and leave your valuables.

Oh come on girl, don't leave me hanging. I have to work tomorrow. . . . !!

Unfortunately, for as long as it takes to upload the photos and fix all the spacing that the copy/pasting messed up, each update takes longer than I like. I will update again in a day or two, I think.

Nachi Cocom pro tip. You can ask your server to bring parts of lunch at different times. Ours didn’t seem thrilled about it but it was nice to have the guacamole and chips, salsa and soup first then the lunch a couple of hours later. We made sure to tip well.

Were there still stand up paddle boards and stuff to rent? SUP is really fun after a drink or two or five.

Great tip for next time! I would have loved the chips and guac earlier in the day. They were soooooo good and I was soooooo full from all that food.

If there were paddle boards to rent, I do not remember.

Oh no, Day 7 and getting to the end of your cruise! How are we going to manage not seeing anymore of your posts after you're done with this review? Hopefully, you'll write about your cruise in August with your son, but what will we do in the meantime? I love reading your posts and don't want them to come to an end!

You know, it's posts like these that totally make my day. Thank you for the wonderful compliment.

I do plan on writing about our August cruise. My son is quite the character, so I can imagine that he'll give me plenty of material. However, it takes me awhile to compose the report, and I imagine that I wouldn't start posting until a month or two later. I thought about doing it live, like Robyn, but then realized that there was no way in hell that I would type on my little phone every day. Besides, I do my most creative work after I've had time to process.

Nachi Cocom looks wonderful! Can see why so many rave about it.

We'll be in Cozumel in March but don't think we need all inclusive with kids. Plus for me, one drink and I feel it so any more is not a good combo with the sea. Looks so relaxing through and peaceful and great that it wasn't busy. Says a lot too with you being able to go in the ocean and leave your valuables.

If a relaxing beach spot is what you're after, then there are cheaper alternatives, for sure. But I cannot recommend Nachi Cocum enough. I felt like I had the whole beach to myself. The staff was incredibly accommodating and friendly. The food was outstanding. The resort was gorgeous. I had better drinks at the Jamaican resort (Blue Water something something), but would choose Nachi Cocum over it in a heartbeat.

As a solo, it is difficult to feel comfortable enough to leave valuables behind in favor of a dip in the water. But yes, here I felt just that way.

If you ever go to costa maya, you have to go to maya chan. It blows nachi cocum away. And all the water activities are included. Paddle boards,kayaks, snorkel gear, and floating chairs with with cup holders to be served in the water!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

If you ever go to costa maya, you have to go to maya chan. It blows nachi cocum away. And all the water activities are included. Paddle boards,kayaks, snorkel gear, and floating chairs with with cup holders to be served in the water!!

I hate to hijack hucifer’s fantastic thread, but I have a question for you.

Cozumel and Costa Maya are two of the four ports of call on my Harmony December 2019 cruise. I’m not a huge fan of spending time at the beach, and we’re already stopping at CocoCay on this cruise, but I am still considering either Nachi Cocum or Maya Chan based on rave recommendations. Why else would you recommend Maya Chan over Nachi Cocum? Is the price the same for both? If it helps, I’m a 40 something female and will cruising solo.

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maya chan is a smallish resort with plenty of shade if you desire. You don't just get a chair and side table. You get a day bed, and hammock too. Depending on your location. The food is out of this world. And they will serve you in the water. I feel maya chan is a five star hotel like experience. They are super super friendly. They are mindful of ships time and your time. In fact when you enter there is s blackboard with ship name and last taxi back. You may leave anytime after lunch. And unlike nachi. Transportation is included

This was just for me and hubby. Day bed was in sun. dbc20f56de27d04a5b7fcd254982932b.jpg

I hate to hijack hucifer’s fantastic thread, but I have a question for you.

Cozumel and Costa Maya are two of the four ports of call on my Harmony December 2019 cruise. I’m not a huge fan of spending time at the beach, and we’re already stopping at CocoCay on this cruise, but I am still considering either Nachi Cocum or Maya Chan based on rave recommendations. Why else would you recommend Maya Chan over Nachi Cocum? Is the price the same for both? If it helps, I’m a 40 something female and will cruising solo.

TIA!

Accio, I thought that I would add to suesnake's post.

Maya Chan is wonderful. We went as a large group of girlfriends and had one of the LARGE cabanas. It was a fabulous day and I highly recommend it.

Two caveats. Costa Maya has A LOT of sea grass in their water. Maya Chan is no exception. They keep raking it but there's always a mess on parts of the beach and in the water.

There's a long bus ride over extremely bumpy roads to get there.

If you want to try SUP ( stand up paddle boarding), they will help you every step of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For my fellow non-shoppers, here’s a free tip: saying “I’ll be right back, I have to poop!” stops the pesky salesman from bothering you. Holding your rear is optional. It’s brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! But by the time you work your way down through 72 vendors, the whole port knows your bathroom habits. So there’s a tradeoff.

Had to take a break here. Had to wipe off the monitor before my drink dripped to the floor.

This is the FUNNIEST thing I think I have ever read!

Accio, I thought that I would add to suesnake's post.

Maya Chan is wonderful. We went as a large group of girlfriends and had one of the LARGE cabanas. It was a fabulous day and I highly recommend it.

Two caveats. Costa Maya has A LOT of sea grass in their water. Maya Chan is no exception. They keep raking it but there's always a mess on parts of the beach and in the water.

There's a long bus ride over extremely bumpy roads to get there.

If you want to try SUP ( stand up paddle boarding), they will help you every step of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Suesnake and Merion Mom, thank you both so much for your in-depth reviews! I cannot thank you both enough [emoji7]

Your glowing review has definitely convinced me to try this excursion if I ever go back to Costa Maya.

How many drinks did you have before doing this?:eek:

Biker, who can't remember the last time he saw someone dancing in the WJ.

Between me and you, I didn't really dance at all. It was based off of the comment that I danced after I saw that Poppy and Branch had a meet and greet on day 2. Although, I am not afraid to make a complete ass of myself in front of strangers, and I have been known to break out into a sad solo flash mob in public places. Much to the embarrassment of my (now) 11yo.

Had to take a break here. Had to wipe off the monitor before my drink dripped to the floor.

This is the FUNNIEST thing I think I have ever read!

Thank you. I am a woman without shame. And that's one reason why it's entertaining to hang around me.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your review, Hucifer!

Very glad to see that you'll be doing a review of your upcoming cruise!

Thank you, simoner. Very humbling to read. Hope you stick around for the Oasis report.

Well, I was a poster in this thread, then became a lurker upon your return, … but sh*t, now I'm a poster again. My psychiatrist gave me Meds for this, but he took them all and I have nothing. I'm still enjoying your review; I'll let him comment on his own dime...

Hucifer, I firmly believe that it is a parent's bounded duty to embarrass their offspring :evilsmile:

Slugsta, now becoming a half poster, half lurker hybrid.

Oh, HELL yes it is. I make a point to dab in public simply because it embarrasses the crap out of him.

No way on this hybrid stuff; you are a full-blown poster if you've replied TWICE. That's the law. Look it up.

Well, I was a poster in this thread, then became a lurker upon your return, … but sh*t, now I'm a poster again. My psychiatrist gave me Meds for this, but he took them all and I have nothing. I'm still enjoying your review; I'll let him comment on his own dime...

I'm glad you posted again. :)

Are the meds so that you forget how much time had passed?

I never thought I’d say this to a stranger but you and I should absolutely do our next solo trip together. We’d own the boat.

Yes, but you know a LOT more about me than I know about you, including my most private fantasies about Mexican crew members with sunglasses and clipboards. Here are my criteria for a solo cruise:

1) On a week I don't have my son

2) Out of a Florida port

3) Prices are no more than $100pp/day

4) Plenty of male eye candy on board

I actually considered starting a "Let's plan a solo RCI cruise" thread. Could be VERY interesting. :confused:

Yes, but you know a LOT more about me than I know about you, including my most private fantasies about Mexican crew members with sunglasses and clipboards. Here are my criteria for a solo cruise:

1) On a week I don't have my son

2) Out of a Florida port

3) Prices are no more than $100pp/day

4) Plenty of male eye candy on board

I actually considered starting a "Let's plan a solo RCI cruise" thread. Could be VERY interesting. :confused:

Perfect

Hucifer, I firmly believe that it is a parent's bounded duty to embarrass their offspring :evilsmile:

Slugsta, now becoming a half poster, half lurker hybrid.

I actually own a t-shirt: Embarrassing my children: Just one more service I provide.

Needless to say, they HATE when I wear it on our cruises.

:D

I actually own a t-shirt: Embarrassing my children: Just one more service I provide.

Needless to say, they HATE when I wear it on our cruises.

:D

How old are your kids? My life's ambitions are to embarrass my boy as much as possible. Lately, that list of Things That Mom Does That Embarrasses Me seems to be growing, much to my delight.

Robo is a really nice guy, and handsome! :D We played Baggo for a while, because it was stormy and no one else wanted to play. :)

OMG. You are my new best friend.

Sometimes I wonder if the crew members search themselves and find female admirers, like myself, shamelessly oozing over them on a public message board.

Wow! Just found this thread today and read it all in one day. Shhh.... don’t tell my boss. Hands down THE BEST review that I have had the pleasure of reading! Thanks for sharing with us!